Issues with Battery Compartment Wiring

First of all, I am not a wiring person. I am in the process of cleaning all this wiring up, so please bear with the picture as it's currently a mess and is getting redone. I appreciate anyone's help here since I'm lost.

I am having an issue when using the Bob's jackplate, the switched BUSS breaker is tripping, seems like the other breaker the jackplate pos wire is going through is also tripping. I'll do my best to explain my current wiring setup with the picture below, hoping for some help. I'm thinking I may have a redundant wire somewhere?

-White line: Positive wire coming from the jack plate is going to an 80 amp thermal/ignition protected breaker, then to the large pos stud of the fuse box. I did not install this, this is how the boat was setup. Possibly this needs to go on its own separate positive terminal on the fuse box, as it's sharing a connection with the jumper wire from the switched side of the breaker buss to the large pos end of the blue seas box terminal? Negative is going to a stand alone negative terminal on the fuse box. It looks to be a 10 gauge wire, so I should be able to put on its own positive terminal on fuse box.

-Turqoise line: Jumper wire from negative large stud from fuse box to negative terminal on battery

-Yellow line: Jumper from switched side of buss 30 amp breaker to large positive stud on fuse box

-Red line: Positive wire from switched side of 30 amp breaker going to console somewhere

-Blue line: Wire from load side of 30 amp Buss breaker direct to positive on battery.

Small threaded positive battery stud has positive wire to motor
    Small threaded negative battery stud has negative wire to motor, and another negative wire I'm not sure where that leads to

My talons are directly wired to the battery which will get moved to the fuse box so only the battery charger cable will be on threaded stud adapter from large clamp. Since those have their own inline fuses I'm assuming I won't need an additional fuse in the fuse box, just the pos/neg terminal connections?

Battery Compartment Wiring.jpg

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Did you just buy this boat or have you had it for a while ? If you had it already, has everything worked as it should and this is aa new problem ? Is the Jack Plate Hydraulic or Electric ? Which wires go to the Talons ?
    Last edited by wmitch2; 04-28-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    I’ve had the boat 6 years. I’ve been changing the wiring in an attempt to clean it up, and now the jack plate isn’t operating without tripping the breaker. Jack plate is a Bob’s action jack where the pump is in the boat.

The big studs on the battery have a threaded adapter on it, the Talons are sitting on those for now, but are going to move to the fuse box.

4. Member
    Either you are a previous owner has made a mess of this wiring. First, Ranger doesn't have this type fuse box, so this is all after market and doesn't follow marine color codes, which makes it harder to diagnose from pictures. I will try to address each of your points/questions.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    First of all, I am not a wiring person. I am in the process of cleaning all this wiring up, so please bear with the picture as it's currently a mess and is getting redone. I appreciate anyone's help here since I'm lost.

I am having an issue when using the Bob's jackplate, the switched BUSS breaker is tripping, seems like the other breaker the jackplate pos wire is going through is also tripping. I'll do my best to explain my current wiring setup with the picture below, hoping for some help. I'm thinking I may have a redundant wire somewhere?

-White line: Positive wire coming from the jack plate is going to an 80 amp thermal/ignition protected breaker, then to the large pos stud of the fuse box. Doesn't need to be an 80A breaker. Breaker should be sized according to wire size. If it's a 10ga wire, I would use a 30A breaker. The white line coming from the Jackplate should be attached to the 30A breaker I spoke of, the other side of the breaker goes to the positive of the battery. You're also going to need a ground from the jackplate relay pack to the negative side of the battery. I did not install this, this is how the boat was setup. Possibly this needs to go on its own separate positive terminal on the fuse box, as it's sharing a connection with the jumper wire from the switched side of the breaker buss to the large pos end of the blue seas box terminal? Not sure which wire you're talking about, but if it's sharing a connection that is going to the fuse box, it is not needed. The ONLY wire needed on the positive terminal of the fuse box is the 8ga mentioned above. Negative is going to a stand alone negative terminal on the fuse box. It looks to be a 10 gauge wire, so I should be able to put on its own positive terminal on fuse box. The negative wire should go from battery negative to fuse box negative. Since this is carry ground to the fuse box, I would like to see it in at least a 8ga black wire

-Turqoise line: Jumper wire from negative large stud from fuse box to negative terminal on battery This should be the 8ga that I spoke of earlier

-Yellow line: Jumper from switched side of buss 30 amp breaker to large positive stud on fuse box. This wire should be red 8ga with a 40A breaker feeding the fuse box as mentioned above

-Red line: Positive wire from switched side of 30 amp breaker going to console somewhere This wire should be at least a 10ga. Can't tell from the picture

-Blue line: Wire from load side of 30 amp Buss breaker direct to positive on battery. This should also be a red wire, 10ga.

Small threaded positive battery stud has positive wire to motor
    Small threaded negative battery stud has negative wire to motor, and another negative wire I'm not sure where that leads to It should go to negative side of fuse panel

My talons are directly wired to the battery which will get moved to the fuse box so only the battery charger cable will be on threaded stud adapter from large clamp. Since those have their own inline fuses I'm assuming I won't need an additional fuse in the fuse box, just the pos/neg terminal connections? Since you are using a fuse panel that takes blade fuses, I would cut the fuse holder off the Talon wires, use a spade to connect to fuse box and then use the combo fuse/breaker fuse style that the Talon uses in the fuse holder.

Battery Compartment Wiring.jpg
    I'm sure I'm missing something, but basically a 40A switchable breaker with an 8ga wire going to it, and an 8ga wire coming from it going to the fuse terminal is the only positive wiring needed to run the fuse box. The positive jack plate, positive going to dash, and Talons can come off of the appropriate fuses in the fuse block.
    Is there another fuse block under the console and infront of the console that feeds the dash, lights, and bow panel? If so, the 10ga going to the dash is not enough.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Thank you John for your responses. The wiring is a mess. Appreciate the insight. After some thought I'm going to take the boat in to a professional to have this re-done.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

6. Member
    Now that is a great decision! Will be worth it (no matter what it ends up costing) that is one scary sight. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go