Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Well, we still have two vcr rental stores. I can still dial 4 numbers on my land phone to get my neighbor. Up to a few years ago my mother in law had a party line. Being on the road I knew where every pay phone was, getting one you could drive up to was special. We had milk delivered to a metal box on the porch too.

2. Member
    Remember the Columbia record club? Those stamps you had to mail in to get your albums and then they had you. You were on the hook to buy one a month. What a racket!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob52O View Post
    Remember the Columbia record club? Those stamps you had to mail in to get your albums and then they had you. You were on the hook to buy one a month. What a racket!
    I bet they're still trying to collect money owed to them...

My wife and I were talking about this same topic the other day.In 1983 we bought a new Quasar 19" color tv and a new Quasar vcr. The tv was nearly 800.00 and the vcr was a little over 600.00 from a local furniture store. Of course we had to finance them through the store. Our payments was 65.00 a month for 2 years. Ah the good old days!

5. Member
    How about having to stop the truck to get out and "turn the Hubs in" so you could use the 4WD?

Everybody's Dad had a CB Radio in their Truck.

Cars didn't have Seat Belts, but you could buy a set and install them yourself. Even when they came as Standard it was up to you to decide if you wanted to wear them or not--- evening after the annoying BEEP thing started you could just plug the belt in and shut it off.

Baby Seats hung over the back of the Front Seat and were just a Hanging Basket with two leg holes in them.

A 25 Inch Consul TV was a Big Deal-- Even a BIGGER DEAL if it was in COLOR. You used a can of Tuner Spray to clean the contacts so the TV would change the Channels better. There was a Dial Ring around the Channel Knob to adjust the picture for "fine tuning". And don't forget one of you yelling out of the bedroom window to your Brother the Turn the Antenna Pole while Dad yelled from the Living Room "a little more, little more, NO TO FAR Turn it back some, HOLD IT RIGHT THERE". Then having to do it all over for the next channel he wanted to watch.

When the TV Cable finally got to your area it was a HUGE DEAL.

Party Lines for the Phone where you had to wait for your 6-7 neighbors to hang up so you could dial your call-- And then they would listen to what you were saying.

Pack of Smokes was .45 for my first pack and I was pissed that my cousin kept my Nickle Change back from my 50 Cent Piece.

A Spinning Rod Outfit with 8 lb test Mono caught everything you fished for, "What else would you ever need?".

Hand Me Down Clothes from your Older Brother or Cousins, and Yes you were mostly happy to get them. Your MOM picked out your New School Clothes and you wore them whether you liked them or not.

A Pair of Sneakers were bought New for School and they lasted until the next School Year. Your "work boots" were the ones your Dad wore out and you got when he got a new pair. (my dad had broke his ankle when he was younger and it never healed right so he always walked "funny" on his one side and it wore the heel down quicker. Gee I wonder why I had Leg and Feet issues back then? LOL. You could buy little metal "tabs" to nail on the heels as they got worn down.)

Hoppes #9 was what everyone used to clean their Guns with, and you didn't go shooting for fun. You only used shells when you were hunting. BB Guns were for Playing.

Sega Genesis was the Best Game System Ever.

Man could just go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by JTN View Post
    Battery life wasn't great,but I don't remember my Motorola bag phone ever dropping calls...they flat out worked. Still number test,I just have a basic flip phone.
    Bag phones and car phones were 3 watt transmitters. Handheld phones were only .6 of a watt

I loved it when we got a wired slide remote for the TV. I didn't have to be the remote anymore.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

8. Member
    Popeils pocket fisherman!

I remember landline phones having local party lines when I was growing up. You could actually hear others talking when you picked up the phone.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Remember riding in the middle of a bench seat (legs bent on top of the hump) of the family pickup (single cab), going on a long trip, trying not to let legs hit the CB radio.
    Wow! you got to ride in the cab? Long trips Sis and I sat in the bed...we each had a wheel well to set on. Oh dad was concerned about our safety so he installed bed rails for us to hold onto.

Commodore 64 was my first computer. Learn to program it so my name would go across the screen. That was it for programming for me

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    My wife and I were talking about this same topic the other day.In 1983 we bought a new Quasar 19" color tv and a new Quasar vcr. The tv was nearly 800.00 and the vcr was a little over 600.00 from a local furniture store. Of course we had to finance them through the store. Our payments was 65.00 a month for 2 years. Ah the good old days!
    Would have been worse if you paid $600 for a Betamax.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanuck1958 View Post
    Commodore 64 was my first computer. Learn to program it so my name would go across the screen. That was it for programming for me
    I remember starting to load a program from the tape, go eat supper and it might be done.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfd41 View Post
    Wow! you got to ride in the cab? Long trips Sis and I sat in the bed...we each had a wheel well to set on. Oh dad was concerned about our safety so he installed bed rails for us to hold onto.
    Rode to Columbus Ohio (6 Hour drive) as a kid in the back of my grandpa's Dodge pickup, it did have a truck topper shell on the bed though, though it was coolest thing ever.

15. Member
    Apple I, Timex sinclair computer (with voice synthesizer - had a blast with that), renting a VHS
    tape for $10 (2 for $15), 8-track tapes, betamax better but nobody cared, Louie Louie,
    'birds the word', pong, fallout shelters and missile silos, 4 on the floor, 6-pack (carburetor version),
    409, little ol' lady from Pasadena, 'garage' rock bands in the 60's, station wagons .... (somebody please stop me).
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    Many studies showed that Betamax was the superior platform at the time. It just didn't have the marketing of the VHS.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Rode to Columbus Ohio (6 Hour drive) as a kid in the back of my grandpa's Dodge pickup, it did have a truck topper shell on the bed though, though it was coolest thing ever.
    We used to go to Texas to my grandfather's house on a lake every Easter. We put a camper shell on the truck and a full sized mattress between the wheelwells, stuffed the four corners with luggage and my brother and I would ride the 13 hours back there every year. When we got older, I think I was 15, I took the car stereo out of my truck and made a box to mount it and two 6x9 speakers in the sides for tunes on the way. We always left around 6:00PM and dad would drive all night. We would sack out and wake up about Dallas which put us an hour out so it was a short trip for us.

18. Member
    Many studies showed that Betamax was the superior platform at the time. It just didn't have the marketing of the VHS.
    And that was the last time I picked superior over market share in a proprietary system.

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    It's biggest downfall if I can remember that far back was that it had a much shorter record time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234