Rod storage for Alpha 199

I just purchased a 2014 Alpha 199 and they had removed the rod storage tubes. Has anyone built one, seems like it would be pretty easy just a board and some tubes? Doesn’t seem worth a couple hundred to buy one, but I could be wrong.

2. Member
    Not sure if they would fit in a 199, but I have a set that I pulled out of my 2014 211R that I’m not going to use. Not sure what they’d be worth or what shipping would be, but if your interested, I could figure something out.

You’re probably better off without them. I took mine out too. Much, much more room. I just use rod socks. I have way too many setups in there now though. Can’t ever find what I’m looking for. Lol.

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS

4. Member
    I have never had a boat with them, but thought they might be better. I will try out the rod socks first, I could see how that would give me more room. My main problem was getting my longer crankbait rods in, I had to get them at the perfect angle. Then I put 15 rods in there and had a tangled mess trying to get them back out.

Yeah you’ll have a mess without the rod socks. My longer crankbait rods fit fine but mine is a 211. If you decide you really want the tubes let me know and we can measure to see if the 211 tubes will fit. You can have mine if so, just pay shipping. I’ll never use them.

6. Member
    Thank You, I will try the Sox for a while and let you know.

7. Member
    Another vote for no tubes. In my 199 With the tubes the spinning rods are on the bottom covered by the casting rods. The lower holes are a larger oval to accommodate the larger guides on spinning rods.Pain in the rear to move rods over in order to get a lower rod. You need rod socks anyway with the tubes as the guides catch on the tubes. The actual killer for me was at the end of the day the time it took to position the rods back in the tubes.

i took mine out. still have them. but i def wouldn't put tubes in it unless you want to carry 12 rods under 7'

9. Member
    I have been using the Sox now for a month and it is easier than I thought. I got sox for every rod including my crappie rods and now I can fit plenty of rods. Thank y’all for the input as it saved me a lot of trouble! And thank you rhlabs for the offer on the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burge View Post
    I have been using the Sox now for a month and it is easier than I thought. I got sox for every rod including my crappie rods and now I can fit plenty of rods. Thank y’all for the input as it saved me a lot of trouble! And thank you rhlabs for the offer on the tubes.
    Awesome and you are welcome!