Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cutting down mega 360 shaft

Has anyone trimmed down the shaft on the 360? The shaft on the ultrex 360 is quite long and gives very little room for adjusting the TM shaft? I also noticed on KVDs boat, his shaft is cut flush with the TM mount. Thoughts?

Ott Defoe stated he cut his down 9" but I don't know how that was done without possible cable damage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Pipe cutter

4. Member
    Can't you use a pipe cutter? cut a cardboard TP or paper towel roll along the length - fold the cables into it and roll it tight - slide it down into the tube and tape in in place on the cables.

then use a circular pipe cutter - OR - you can get a guide for cutting bike handlebars (people use them with carbon bars. - and cut just through the pipe, move the guide and repeat until you are all the way around.

** I haven't seen a Mega 360, so if the cable plug on the top doesn't come out,... I have no idea how you would do it.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    Can't you use a pipe cutter? cut a cardboard TP or paper towel roll along the length - fold the cables into it and roll it tight - slide it down into the tube and tape in in place on the cables.

then use a circular pipe cutter - OR - you can get a guide for cutting bike handlebars (people use them with carbon bars. - and cut just through the pipe, move the guide and repeat until you are all the way around.

** I haven't seen a Mega 360, so if the cable plug on the top doesn't come out,... I have no idea how you would do it.
    The transducer plug is the 14-pin size with locking ring, it won't fit through the shaft.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The transducer plug is the 14-pin size with locking ring, it won't fit through the shaft.
    Sorry Wayne - I just meant the grommet at the end of the tube that holds the wires as they exit it. I would still do it with the wires inside. A circular pipe cutter couldn't really cut the wires even if they weren't protected, but a cardboard sleeve should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    Sorry Wayne - I just meant the grommet at the end of the tube that holds the wires as they exit it. I would still do it with the wires inside. A circular pipe cutter couldn't really cut the wires even if they weren't protected, but a cardboard sleeve should do the trick.
    The rubber grommet is irrelevant.
    How are you going to remove the cut off part of the shaft from the cables, the plug won't pass through the shaft?
    You would have to cut a groove along the length of the shaft to get it off unless there is a way to disconnect the cables from the pod at the pod.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Use a small cut off wheel and cut a slot in the pipe after you cut off how much you want to. I have been wondering about doing this myself.

9. Member
    also, you can use nibblers and cut that short section of
    pipe open to get the cables out.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Tried to figure this out myself, and after several calls with different people at Humminbird the answer from all of them in the end was that it will immediately void the warranty.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyztoyz View Post
    Tried to figure this out myself, and after several calls with different people at Humminbird the answer from all of them in the end was that it will immediately void the warranty.

I wouldn’t worry about it. If there’s an issue with the transducer they will have you just send the transducer back without the shaft. Ask me how I know ha

Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about it. If there’s an issue with the transducer they will have you just send the transducer back without the shaft. Ask me how I know ha

You cannot do that with a MEGA 360. The transducer plug will not pass through the shaft. That is what this topic is about.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    I have a similar situation, I actually broke my shaft of my 360 so I am lookibg for ideas to potentially replace it or fix it, thoughts?

I've cut a M 360 and a couple of Ultrex shafts using a hacksaw. I use a short piece of aluminum angle iron that will fit inside the shaft.. I believe its 1/2" by 1/2" Insert it between the wires and the side you start the cut on.. carefully cut straight down till you hit the aluminum.. rotate the shaft and angle iron and repeat until you've come full circle. Be sure to look inside after each rotation.. I also wrap tape around the shaft before cutting.

what material is the M360 shaft made of??

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

16. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    what material is the M360 shaft made of??
    It's a pretty thick composite material. The interior opening is much smaller than you would think. It looks like the same material used by Minn Kota on their trolling motors. Actually, it pretty much looks like it is a Minn Kota trolling motor shaft.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 01-09-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

17. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I've wondered if the shaft can be removed from the transducer POD and how the wires actually connect to the POD. It makes sense to me that, in the manufacturing process, the power and transducer cables are fabricated first, run down through the top of the shaft, and then connected to the POD. The last step being attaching the shaft to the POD. I have no idea if that is how they are assembled but the only other option would be for the wires to extend out of the top of the shaft and then the connectors installed onto them. I doubt this is the case.

I was also told by Humminbird that cutting the shaft would void the warranty. I was also told that drilling a hole in the shaft (required for the Fishing Specialties Mount on the "No Mount" Mega 360) would void the warranty. I'm not buying that one as the "No Mount" model is sold for the purpose of fitting a custom mount to it. It doesn't make sense to sell a model expecting a custom mount and then void the warranty by attaching the custom mount. Also, the hole you have to drill doesn't even protrude through the thick shaft wall.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Contact Ott and ask him how he did it.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

19. Member
    don,t have a mega 360 yet but my concern is wiring protruding out the top look like they could get caught up on something and pull out or tear up, get caught in your feet, snagged on rods etc. Do ya think HB could have done a little better job there? I see a situation where maybe be close to a tree and as I am pulling away the wiring tangles on a limb and 1200$ goes down the drain

Quote Originally Posted by Bandone View Post
    don,t have a mega 360 yet but my concern is wiring protruding out the top look like they could get caught up on something and pull out or tear up, get caught in your feet, snagged on rods etc. Do ya think HB could have done a little better job there? I see a situation where maybe be close to a tree and as I am pulling away the wiring tangles on a limb and 1200$ goes down the drain
    I have the same concerns..
    One reason I cut the shaft down. I also covered the wires with a single piece of heavy duty expandable weave and attached it to the shaft head. There is no slack protruding out the top it goes straight to the troll mtr bracket and is attached to it. There are no wires on the deck.
    I hate zip ties, electrical tape, loose wires and unprofessional looking crap hanging off the boat to get hung up and yanked out the first time I'm fishing flooded brush, cedars etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast