Problem with Humminbird Helix 9 not reading after moving from one spot to another

I have a Helix 9 Gen 3 mounted on my trolling motor. When I move from one location to another and put my trolling motor back down, my unit is reading like a 1091 feet and will not reset for several minutes. The display is barely showing over in the right hand corner of the screen and not moving. Most of the time I am having to shut it down and restart it to get it to read. Any suggestions?

Set the Max Depth to about 10' more than the deepest water you navigate. That keeps the unit from trying to detect sonar echoes that are in hundreds/thousands of feet when the motor is stowed
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I have the same exact unit on my bow hooked up to the trolling motor. When I relocate on the lake and pull my trolling motor up I ALWAYS turn my unit off. It's not good for the the transducer to be on for too long of time out of water. In regards to your inaccurate depth reading, I know when I initially turn the unit on and drop the trolling motor into the water I sometimes will get those crazy depth readings 400' or maybe 1000' but for no more than a couple seconds or so then everything works fine and dandy afterwards.

4. Member
    You can also use the standby!

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice.

6. Member
    Is it better to use the standby rather than turn your unit on and off everytime?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Is it better to use the standby rather than turn your unit on and off everytime?
    Certainly comes back up faster (instantly when you push the power button), rather than having to boot up.

8. Member
    I have a Helix 12 on the bow with transducer on the trolling motor...was told by the installing dealer to turn the sonar off when I pull the TM up, them turn sonar back on after it is lowered into the water. Has worked for me. I mentioned this on this forum and was told that I did not need to turn the sonar off...but I kept doing it anyway, thinking why should the transducer be putting out a signal, or pulse when my TM was sitting on deck?? Just my 2 cents.

9. Member
    I had similar issues. I use standby religiously now and dont have problems.