Took the new Bullet out in the rough stuff

Well I did not pay much attention to the weather for saturday morning, we were staying at our home on lake Texoma, unloaded at Little mineral and ran to the north end of the dam at day light, that was not a very wise decision, the wind got up to around 20 mph out of the northwest, that ride back to little mineral was interesting, took it pretty slow, slammed into a couple waves pretty hard, never speared one, was impressed with the boat handling the big water.

2. Member
    Good to hear it did well and you did well. I know it took me a few times of running in some rougher water to get the feel for my boat. A kind of practice or learning my boat and motor. Its not very often around my lakes that you run into the bad stuff. The first time I did run into the really really bad stuff I didn't know if I could run in waves that big. I'll be honest, I was scared I'm not going to lie. After I got up the nerve just to try it I noticed that instincts kicked in and my 21XD did Flawless. I got on top with just enough trim and speed to stay on top and cut those waves up. I had several cookie cutters jump in behind me when they got the chance and I don't blame them. If one of them would have went first I would have tucked in behind them. My fishing partner that day (not a Bullet guy) I thought was going to hug me when we got back to the ramp.. He told everyone how well that Bullet did in those waves that day with no issues. That was over 10 years ago and every now and then he still talks about that day. I will never forget that 15 mile run!!!
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

3. Member
    I feel you. Took mine out on Erie couple years ago. NE wind came upon us just like that. Those freakin 6+'ers that are spread out...haha...that was nuts. Boat did great though. Only got wet twice but when the boat goes nearly vertical you are like holy crap. The professional bass guys that fish Erie and have to go 20 miles in those conditions are nuts though. Hell no.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

4. Member
    That’s when you wish you had a ranger! Now I’m talking when it’s really rough out 20 30 mph winds open lake. Running into the ways I love my Bullet, but side ways really suck in the Bullet.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    That’s when you wish you had a ranger! Now I’m talking when it’s really rough out 20 30 mph winds open lake. Running into the ways I love my Bullet, but side ways really suck in the Bullet.
    Side ways suck in all boats unless they’re big enough to run the troughs. But actually my Bullet and the Basscat I had were very good at side ways IMO. I think that is where the ‘skinnier’ deck shines. The wider decks that I have owned got pounded in side action. Now my Bullet will rock and roll but not break teeth or vertebrae.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Side ways suck in all boats unless they’re big enough to run the troughs. But actually my Bullet and the Basscat I had were very good at side ways IMO. I think that is where the ‘skinnier’ deck shines. The wider decks that I have owned got pounded in side action. Now my Bullet will rock and roll but not break teeth or vertebrae.
    yeah thAt is true it’s a rough ride but it’s not a back breaking ride. We had to get back To weigh in the other day and we did fine going into the wind , nasty 30 mph winds . I got on top of waves but it was scary as shit . Once we got into the wind blowing across from us I thought I was going to tear the boat up. I think a lot of my problem is I don’t have a hydraulic jack plate. So it’s hard for me to keep nose up at 25 to 30 mph. I need to be able to drop the motor down.

7. Member
    Last time I rode in a cookie cutter with waves from the side we had to stop and put on our rain gear. Never had to do that in my Bullet thank goodness. I never been on Erie though.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

8. Member
    Lake Erie gets bad enough you wouldn't want to be in any boat ,especially a bass boat. There are some bad videos on the U tube of bad weather up there.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR