Mercury mechanic recommendation

Guys, I have a 2005 Opti, 225. I think it may be a pulley going bad but not sure. Looking for a mechanic in the Summerville, Charleston or Walterboro area.
    Thanks in advance. Steve

2. Member
    Mclean marine in Sumter! Highly recommend! Best around no questions asked!

3. Member
    Little Harvey @ McLean Marine in Sumter. No doubt he is the best in the business!
    2004 Ranger 521VX Comanche
    2020 Mercury Pro XS FourStroke
    www.stevenfelderfishing.com
    StevenFelderFishing@live.com
    Steven Felder
    Manning, SC

4. Member
    Berkeley Outdoors. They are located between Summerville and Moncks Corner.

5. Member
    The best Merc mechanic in the south east is in Greenville SC. Check out the Mercury boards. If you want it right then id make the trip. Not taking anything away from the others stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Astyle954 View Post
    The best Merc mechanic in the south east is in Greenville SC. Check out the Mercury boards. If you want it right then id make the trip. Not taking anything away from the others stated above.
    +1

Don Weed, European Motors in Greenville. If you can make the trip, it would be worth it. IMHO. The others may be good also, just never used any when I lived in Summerville.

7. Member
    I wish I could take it to Don Weed. It is the compressor part # 828123T29. Cheapest I can find it is $969.

8. Member
    In all honesty. IMO. Cheap is not the goal here. Don Weed probably wouldnt be the cheapest. Nor would I expect him to be. I would be looking for the best. The place that has the knowledge and experience to get it RIGHT. That is where the saving is. One and done. No ruined tournaments no more hassle and no more trips to another mechanic to try again. This is not an old 2 stroke dirt bike engine. It is complicated and expensive to fix. Bite the bullet and have it done correctly. Read the 3L boards. There is much Invaluable info there. Some BS and some jokers but you can get good advice.

9. Member
    I totally agree about not going the cheapest route. I was just quoting the price of the part itself. Again, I would love to be able to take it to Don Weed but with my work schedule it is just not feasible. The parts price is going to be close no matter who fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by SRYE View Post
    I totally agree about not going the cheapest route. I was just quoting the price of the part itself. Again, I would love to be able to take it to Don Weed but with my work schedule it is just not feasible. The parts price is going to be close no matter who fixes it.
    Do what you need to do BUT, Don will not just swap a new compressor and do the oil prime (or stupidly put it into break-in mode) then kick you out the door. That is what most of today's mechanics do. Don is not that way! He will inspect for any damages that a blown compressor can do and potentially find an issue that could ultimately cause a blown motor. In the end, that would cost you A LOT. Do it right the FIRST time. Heck I drive 3-4 hours to see Don and it is worth every penny!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

That is exactly why I got rid of my 250 Pro XS & went to the 4 stroke. When my 3rd compressor blew, that was it. Pro XS is a good motor if you have the money to fix or repair daily