Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G Loomis Punching Rod

So, my question is what do G Loomis fans use for heavy punching applications? The stoutest Loomis rod I could find was only rated for 1 1/4 oz max lure weight, and my heavy punching is usually around the 1 1/2 oz range. Really worried that that rod wouldn’t be suitable for what I would want it for. Thanks for any info.

2. Member
    There is an Extra Heavy Conquest that is good for up to 3 ounces.
    Last edited by Real L; 05-15-2020 at 05:00 AM.

3. Member
    Not a fan of the Loomis punch rods. I had a current model GLX 894 FPR... but it was tip heavy and very stiff. The rods can definitely handle more weight than the ratings suggest, just think as a technique specific rod there are better options from companies who specialize more in punching applications. Heavy or Extra Heavy powered rods with moderate to moderate fast actions are best in my opinion.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

I had been using a Dobyns 795 punch rod, but have moved on as of now. Looking for a great punching rod that is American made. So far, the Powebolt from ALX is the front runner, but am intrigued by the rest of the Loomis line.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippin81 View Post
    I had been using a Dobyns 795 punch rod, but have moved on as of now. Looking for a great punching rod that is American made. So far, the Powebolt from ALX is the front runner, but am intrigued by the rest of the Loomis line.
    Powerbolt is under my consideration as well... It doubles as a very nice swimbait rod for 7" Scottsboro tackle swimbait. Powerful rod that loads up well.

I currently use the Kistler H3 H Moderate pre-2020 lineup. Just wish it was about 1/2 power stronger, but definitely gets the job done. Works for 10xd cranks as well.

You might look at the Zbone 7'11" HVY Moderate for very high end high quality american made rod (NFC Blanks)... believe all their rods are on sale right now.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

6. Member
    G.Loomis IMX FS906X rated to 2oz

7. Moderator
    One thing to consider is that these lure weight ratings are mostly based on how the I rod flexes and loads when making a cast with that given weight—punching a ounce and a half piece of tungsten through mats is more about having a rod powerful enough to get the fish out, not the lure weight/casting rating... Basically I wouldn’t use lure weight rating as the gospel for this application.
    Steve

8. Member
    mostly a Loomis guy but went Kistler for my punching rod. zbone 7'10H. They don't seem to have any for sale but I believe it is 7'10 or it was in Oct 2019. Balance of the rod is not great but overall is only 5.1oz and very sensitive.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

9. Member
    Not a fan of Loomis punch Rod's. After try several different brands I like the 7'11 kistler H mad rod

10. Member
    Try the 916 NRX Umbrella rig rod. Most use this as a dual purpose rod. Its a 7'7" Hvy and can handle up to 5oz.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhard87 View Post
    Try the 916 NRX Umbrella rig rod. Most use this as a dual purpose rod. Its a 7'7" Hvy and can handle up to 5oz.
    Get's my vote

12. Member
    Also interested in a loomis punch rod whatis the action on nrx 916? Is it more mod fast action?

13. Member
    Yeah mod fast. But it is stout.People either love them or don't have a use for them because they are such a stout rod.

14. Member
    Loomis makes an x-heavy rated for 3-8oz. I can't recall the model, but it was an nrx. Saw one in the classifieds recently. It was sold already by the time I saw it. Within the past week.

I thought it might make a pretty decent musy rod, even if it was a bit short. Was 7'7" iirc.

15. Banned
    Loomis rod ratings arent the best as far as the fpr line goes the glx 895 can handle any punching but its a tip heavy rod

I'd look at the Expride 7'11" extra heavy. 1/2-3oz

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    I'd look at the Expride 7'11" extra heavy. 1/2-3oz
    Never heard of that Loomis model.

Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Never heard of that Loomis model.
    No shit sherlock. I was insinuating that loomis doesn't make a true punch rod.

Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Loomis makes an x-heavy rated for 3-8oz. I can't recall the model, but it was an nrx. Saw one in the classifieds recently. It was sold already by the time I saw it. Within the past week.

I thought it might make a pretty decent musy rod, even if it was a bit short. Was 7'7" iirc.
    NRX 916UBR - They call it an Umbrella Rig Rod, but it's right at home punching or frogging. Weight range is optimistic, seems comfortable from 3/4 to about 5 or 6oz. Search for 916UBR and user LuckyCraftMan on the various Bass Fishing Boards, he's done extensive testing and posts some good info. For me it's a Heavy Cover/Slop Frog Rod and Punching Rod, but can also do Alabama/Umbrella rigs of course, and large swimbaits, etc. but I hardly ever throw any of that. Hooked Up Tackle has some Rep Sample's available. Mine runs 65lb FX Braid and a zooted up Zillion Type R - good combo and balances well due to the full handle cork unlike the 895C which is a tip heavy sob.

20. Member
    Any vids or pics of the 916 in action?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast