Youghiogheny Dam 4-25-2020

Today looked more like a regular normal day. In fact I saw the most fishing boats on the lake than I can remember. A ton of bass boats, today a brand new Phoenix caught my eye. The new owner had a good day, broke in his new motor on the first trip on the lake and caught 6 bass. I also saw a lot of Tins of all sizes on the lake. I even saw two people is a small tracker pulling bass out on Ned Rigs, using pumpkin color. People were fishing, well every where. All of my spots I have talked about had boats on them. Some time more than one.

It was a mix crowd probably with more buddy fishing that prior times out. People where hitting points, flats, known structure and even deeper water. When bank fishing you were gauranteed to meet / pass another boat.

I think if my memory is right the water was 53 today. I personaly did not have a good day, thus no pictures. It happens. I did spend a lot of time just finding new structures and flats. Lol I gave away all my good spots so I have to find more.

Funny store and maybe you actualy saw us. I wasn't that far away from the ramp near the dam. My buddy yells his hat flew off. So we spent the next hour looking for it. It had his fishing license on it. So I'm going up And down back and forth in the middle of the lake. I look at him and ask hi if he had a lead hat. We could not find this hat. So after an hour he says the heck with it.

I head down the lake hit the mid 70s and he starts yelling. I make a fast stop thinking something is up. There he is laughing his head off with his hat in his hand. He hat did blow off his head but got caught in his hood of his jacket.

Oh well not much of a fish report but it was still a great day.

2. Member
    Now I consider having a bad day on the water was better than what I came home to. Neighbors barn.

20200425_192359.jpg

3. Member
    It was very busy. I couldn't find a spot to fish. I did get to see a property owner (land owner) think that they owned the lake also. This boat was fishing up by the marina ramp and had to yell at the people fishing. Not sure why when they put a dock on the water make them think they own the water also.

4. Member
    Normally I don't have much trouble with dock owners. I really worked that one shoal by a group of docks on the left side heading towards the bridge. There are some nice rocks and structure on that shoal / flat. Im sure you have fished it. There is a big house with a large stone chimney. In any event there were two high school age girls sitting on the one dock. Of course we didn't fish that dock but did the others. We had a friendly chat as their parents where up by the house watching. They gave us a good tip, they said they didn't see any catch a fish today. The family fled their Pittsburgh area home to isolate at their lake house.

I know you where there all day, how did you do? Just down from the foundations try the left bank for a couple hundred yards. You might like it. Then just past the split take the main channel and try the first little bay, it's small but give it some time. There are many other less fished spots. I'm sure you have a lot too.

Got the trailer fixed but I have a little wobble on the right fender. Looks ok but I have to find what's broke or loose.

5. Member
    I fished south of the Rt. 40 bridge all day. Started a little slow but finally found some fish once the wind picked up in the early afternoon. Caught about 10 off that one spot on a jerkbait plus a couple in the morning throwing small tubes. Crazy amount of boats at the Somerfield ramp when I pulled in at 6:30 am. Not much social distancing happening there at the ramp in the morning and afternoon when I loaded up. Appeared to be a bass club or something maybe?

6. Member
    I think you where pretty close go me. Where the lake forks there was a Red Ranger. I was going to fish down towards the eagles nest but there were a few boats on the side I wanted to fish. So i fished crom the point out into the other point or bend on the main lake. There was a red Ranger that came up and held in the deeper water for awhile then I think went to the point that I started from. Your where by your self and I had a buddy. My hands were hurting so I spent some time sitting. Damn carpal tunnel surgery anyways.

7. Member
    We didn't do all that great. My buddy got one and i ended up with 2. We had a few followers and had some come off.

8. Member
    Yeah that's where I found the group of fish. Probably could have caught more but I hung up one pointer on something and then the other one I had in that color. Went in and was able to get the first one back and saw the second one but couldn't hold the boat steady because of the wind. I plan on going back for the other one next time up there. I searched around deeper a good portion of the day but didn't come up with much. All the fish I caught were probably around 10 ft. of less.

9. Member
    Did you find the old bridge, it is close to where you where. Next time pop over and say hi. Just keep 6 feet away and down wind, lol. I have done well there at times.

10. Member
    Steiny is was one of those days. People caught fish and others didn't. I talk a lot, I know who didn't know that, but most of us where using the same things. And like I said I did see some people get into some nice fish. If I felt better inwould have fished in the rain today.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Did you find the old bridge, it is close to where you where. Next time pop over and say hi. Just keep 6 feet away and down wind, lol. I have done well there at times.
    Yes i'm assuming thats what i was banging the jerkbait into when I was getting bit. It was some sort of wall or pier. Will do if I see you out there.

12. Member
    I have fished ever spot on that lake over the 20+ years of fishing that lake and i think their is a lot of water that just don't hold a lot of fish. And as busy as it was ever spot that i think is goood always had someone or a bunch of people fishing it. So it was going to be tough trying to catch fish in unproductive waters.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinybass View Post
    I have fished ever spot on that lake over the 20+ years of fishing that lake and i think their is a lot of water that just don't hold a lot of fish. And as busy as it was ever spot that i think is goood always had someone or a bunch of people fishing it. So it was going to be tough trying to catch fish in unproductive waters.
    I agree with you there for sure. It seems like most of my days there are boom or bust. I try to keep moving around when I am not catching fish but will sit on a spot when I catch one because usually there are many more in there. I have been spending a lot of time mapping the lake when the fishing isn't going well and it has started to pay off as I have found a few spots that seems to consistently hold some fish. If you ever see some idiot going back and forth in a red boat, it's probably me haha.
    Last edited by billwvu05; 04-27-2020 at 09:27 AM.

14. Member
    I have been using my graphs when fishing some spots myself. Now that i have the DI and SI unit i try and use them in spots.