Suzuki 115 vs Mercury Pro Xs115

Anyone been on an 1880 with the Suzuki? I’m curious about pros and cons and performance of the Suzuki. I’ve never been on a boat with one. I know the Merc is an exceptional engine with good power. A friend bought a new tracker with the Merc 115 and we hit 56 mph on choppy water. No load though other than my fat a$$

2. Member
    I dont have any personal experience with the Zuke but will say I've heard nothing but awesome things from my dealer that carries them along with every other major brand. Very reliable motors but need to be propped differently than other brands due to a lower ratio in the gear case.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

3. Member
    If it was me and my money between those two I would pick the Suzuki every time. I’ve owned 2 cycle Suzuki outboards on Carolina Skiffs and Harris Floteboats. Never a problem with these amazing outboards. Now my experience is with my fishing buddy who replaced his blown up Tracker/Mercury 90HP with a Suzuki 90HP 4 stroke outboard. It has been flawless. He changes the oil when the light comes on, and the lower unit gear oil when it’s due. His boat is faster than it was and burns much less gas. And it has given him or us NO problems. He could live 1000 miles from a dealer for all the service (zero) he’s needed. Just routine maintenance.

With that said, none of the 115hp outboards are going to push the AVX1880 to 56mph in my opinion. If you’re looking to get close to that speed you have only one option. An Evinrude 135hp outboard.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

4. Member
    I come from a boat that ran 32 mph on a good day, so I’ll be pleased with the 48-50. If I need more down the road I’ll put a 10” jack plate and prop on it. Idk how much more that’ll do though but I’m sure I could squeeze a few more mph out of it. I wanted to order the Suzuki but the closest dealer is about an hr away. Merc dealers are everywhere.

5. Member
    I think with the mercury after the warranty is up and if you're willing I think you can have it flashed and see a nice increase in power. Don't know if that can be done on the Suzuki.

6. Member
    I do not think you will get the speed out of the Zuke vs the Mercury. The new Mercury's have come a long way & are great motors

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post
    I think with the mercury after the warranty is up and if you're willing I think you can have it flashed and see a nice increase in power. Don't know if that can be done on the Suzuki.
    wouldn’t be the first vehicle I’ve had tuned, so yea I’d be ok with that!!!

8. Member
    My last Mercury was junk.New 2014 175 pro xs .Mercury. And dealer was great but if a motor is broke down when you want to go fishing it’s not worth munch to me.Hope the new four stoke are better .Go with the Suzuki.

9. Member
    PM sent.
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Country first for me. Merc all day long.
    Vexus AVX 1880
    Pro XS 115
    6” MJP
    Garmin 94SV’s
    Force TM

Mercury and not worth the debate. Have Mercury on bass boat and Suzuki on our pleasure boat. The Suzuki is a dog, hard to pitch, terrible gearing, no guts. The Mercury has been trouble free and runs great.

12. Member
    The guides here on Ouachita have mostly switched over to Suzuki, one holdout with a Yamaha. Same for the striper guides on Texoma, almost all Suzuki’s. I had an Alumacraft deep V with a Suzuki 90, couldn’t ask for a better motor.

they have two drawbacks, a sparse dealer network and small prop selection.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

13. Member
    I am the same camp - Merc for my performance rig and Honda, Suzuki, Old 4 stroke Yamaha for my pleasure rig (tri-toon...) I just want to know I am getting the most out of my fishing rig.