Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barmour
    No way you need to pump the ball each time you start the engine in the same day for "each start". If so people would be quite upset, beginning of each day or swapping tanks maybe sure, but not each time before starting engine 10 times a day!!!. Hardly anybody needs or does that or you'd see people hangin off the back deck pumping before takeoff from a spot all day nor die I for the past 15-40 yrs. I'd have remembered cause my dad woulda made me go back and pump his procraft w/150 back then along with the other 5 bassboat I've been in. If your tank is low maybe, beginning of the day maybe, a vacuum leak maybe. I'd be more inclined to say somethings losing vacuum/suction. Your saying if the dealer told you had to pump the ball on a 2018 15k motor for each start or your motor will quit, that's ok?
    Careful bud- you came on here asking for help, and you have, so far been provided with SPOT-ON ACCURATE information. Your Grandpa's boat 15-30 years ago was running on real gasoline that essentially was in the same state at 30, 60, 80 or 109 degrees F. A little evaporated, but seldom did an entire section of line simply convert into vapor (as happens with the junk we buy at the pump today- ESPECIALLY as temps begin to get warmer). Fuels today can vaporize in the fuel line at temps as low as 60 degrees F, in a matter of 10 minutes. YOUR engine's fuel pumps cannot properly process that vapor.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Gas is NOT being supplied to the VST sufficiently.

Causes could be any ONE, TWO, THREE, or ALL of these things listed below:

Fuel Demand valve.
    Pulse Pump.
    Vacuum leaks (worm drive hose clamps)
    Collapsed liner inside the fuel lines.
    Primer bulb.
    Fuel tank.
    Cheap parts installed incorrectly.

BTW SilverFox579 is SPOT ON in his comments.
    I agree- I suspect you have either an air leak, a pickup tube problem, Anti-siphon valve, fuel demand valve, OR the pulse fuel pump check valves are not functioning properly.

One note: When pumping the primer bulb, you usually should feel fuel in the bulb within 1-3 pumps. If it feels as though most of the system is dry: It likely IS.

Portable (separate) fuel tank with a SEPARATE line, connected directly to the Pulse Fuel Pump is the easiest way to determine if the problem is in the BOAT fuel system, or inside the engine cowling.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Sorry silver fox, wasn't trying to offend, and appreciate the help. Just the need to pump the ball each time in a bass boat multiple times a day is not normal and indicates something is wrong
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:34 AM.

3. Member
    (might be Triton warranty)
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:34 AM.

4. Member
    You should just let the Mercury Dealer handle this!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Billy- your engine is under FACTORY WARRANTY until 5/2021.

You do not have any "Platinum" Product Protection- just the Factory Warranty, and then 2 years of GOLD (essentially Major Mechanical components) coverage.

Since this is under Factory Warranty- get it in to the dealer. If the problem is caused by a DEFECT (Defective Component) of the engine, or MERCURY/Quicksilver Rigging Components, that should be covered (anything else would be up to the boat manufacturer, if a Defect in a boat component).

Don't continue trying to run it this way- a lean engine can become a "dead" engine if not addressed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Will let you know.
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:18 AM.

7. Member
    Any thing OVER .020 needs adjusting, but by reading your posts I recommend that you leave this adjustment to the professionals.
    The adjustment does change the blade opening and the TPS.
    Yes, the computer will show if the motor has EVER run at WOT.

8. Member
    I also sent my croxton 22p back to have it twerked for same holeshot and more top end if possible. I was able to verify the stop screw bottom of black plastic throttle piece is hitting stop when hotfoot is at idle point.
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:35 AM.

9. Member
    I hooked up vesselview and when turn key shows 68 hrs no faults, should it show old faults (looking for the 6 beep alarm I get sometimes long idles)prior to when vesselview was installed or does motor need to be running?
    Last edited by barmour; 05-16-2020 at 08:50 PM.

10. Member
    Your device will only show ACTIVE faults. Dealer with CDS can review ALL faults.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

12. Member
    I ordered stuff from European, new plugs (regapped to .042-.044), fuel filter, pulse fuel pump rebuild kit, fuel demand valve, and merc primer bulb and installed them.
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:19 AM.

13. Member
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:37 AM.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There IS a sticky thread on Hotfoot/Throttle setup (it's near the bottom of the FAQ's at the top of the Forum). Follow it: You've messed up the throttle cable setting and possibly the idle position (which can, itself, cause faults).

I would say not to bother going back to that place again. Substantially shortened post would simply say "had no clue".

Monitor your idle water pressure on your VV-Mobile. That will help you to determine if it's reading low now (1-3 psi minimum range, may be higher with a fresh pump).

15. Member
    OK tks
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 10:11 AM.

16. Member
    You have a thermostat that is not closing off completely, this is a simple common issue normally related to sucking up debris which hangs the thermostat off of its seat. Both thermostats need pulled, cleaned, and inspected.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You have a thermostat that is not closing off completely, this is a simple common issue normally related to sucking up debris which hangs the thermostat off of its seat. Both thermostats need pulled, cleaned, and inspected.
    +100

And... continuing to run the engine in this condition, despite the warnings that are sounding can potentially have catastrophic results.

18. Member
    ok, tks
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:37 AM.

19. Member
    Dealer has better diagnostics than what you call Vessel View!

I would remove the thermostat dump hoses to see if water is leaking through on a cold motor. If water is leaking by then I would determine the cause.

This is a simple common issue that has been discussed hundreds of times on theses boards.

Really need to shorten your replies.
    Last edited by Savage; 06-25-2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: sp

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +100

And... continuing to run the engine in this condition, despite the warnings that are sounding can potentially have catastrophic results.
    Repeating the above, for specific emphasis.

"Catastrophic Results" may NOT be covered under warranty if there is evidence of abuse (such as ignoring numerous faults/warnings).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast