Thread: Oconomowoc lake

Oconomowoc lake

Heading out tomorrow to look for pre-spawn smalljaw.
    Launch should be open I hope. Anybody know what the launch fee is?
    My plan is to hit the points and drops with a lipless crank. And probably a jerkbait maybe a chatter bait as well.
    Wish me luck I will report back tomorrow. It’s only going to be my second time there.

2. Member
    How’d it go ?
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    Launch is $10 and its open. Bite has been tough with no sun for the week or so.

4. Member
    I got skunked. 3 follow ups rite at the boat using a jackal TN70 of some big largemouth.
    one opened its mouth and missed the bait. Friend I was with missed two at the boat also. He was using a white jackhammer. He almost had like a 6 pounder. Inhaled his bait he set hook and did not hook up.
    It was really tough. No smallmouth at all
    All action was in 5 foot flats sparse weeds with deep drops nearby.
    Seen schools of largemouth that were not at all interested in any lures.
    It was really strange we were on a shoreline by a pier and there were 300 + largemouth3-7 pounds just swimming around and hanging under a the pier. Saw more of the same in some tree laydowns. I am pretty sure I saw walleye fry in mass quantities. So I was thinking all these fish fed on the walleye or they were just doing some kind of pre-spawn ritual. Water temps were 45-48 degrees.

I have seen smallmouth congregate like this twice in my life up north in the thousands early springtime. But they were swimming really fast in a true school like scenario. I saw the DNR that same day and they didn’t believe me.

5. Member
    Makes me wonder if the largemouth fed up for the spawn. Or did they not even start? And the smallmouth must still be in deep water with lock jaw. This week looks warmer I bet that place is gonna really get going. Probably will not get back out there till later this summer. It was still great to get out in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jigapig View Post
    I got skunked. 3 follow ups rite at the boat using a jackal TN70 of some big largemouth.
    one opened its mouth and missed the bait. Friend I was with missed two at the boat also. He was using a white jackhammer. He almost had like a 6 pounder. Inhaled his bait he set hook and did not hook up.
    It was really strange we were on a shoreline by a pier and there were 300 + largemouth3-7 pounds just swimming around and hanging under a the pier. Saw more of the same in some tree laydowns. I am pretty sure I saw walleye fry in mass quantities. So I was thinking all these fish fed on the walleye or they were just doing some kind of pre-spawn ritual. Water temps were 45-48 degrees.

I have seen smallmouth congregate like this twice in my life up north in the thousands early springtime. But they were swimming really fast in a true school like scenario. I saw the DNR that same day and they didn’t believe me.
    This is a very common occurrence early spring and fall with those massive schools. A lot of times it's schools of similar year class like one school will be 100 10" to 14" and another a couple hundreds yards down will all be 3lb to 5lb+. This is also the time of the year when the when you get to truly see the Giants that you typically don't know about. This weather pattern we have been having has done nothing but put a damper on the fishing for us. Today's warm temps and sun will bring in new schools of fish and it should keep getting better as the week goes on now. With the cold weather we had the fish had no reason to come up since the water was the same in their wintering area as it is in shallow. So the fish that already moved up mostly stayed and some left but no others came up until probably today. My Jerkbait bite has slowed drastically the last 4 days but my dock bite has been outstanding! So far 11 is the most I've pulled from 1 dock and that was 2 days ago. Docks absorb a little bit extra heat compared to the surrounding areas when it's cloudy so yes they stack under them this time of the year.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    This is a very common occurrence early spring and fall with those massive schools. A lot of times it's schools of similar year class like one school will be 100 10" to 14" and another a couple hundreds yards down will all be 3lb to 5lb+. This is also the time of the year when the when you get to truly see the Giants that you typically don't know about. This weather pattern we have been having has done nothing but put a damper on the fishing for us. Today's warm temps and sun will bring in new schools of fish and it should keep getting better as the week goes on now. With the cold weather we had the fish had no reason to come up since the water was the same in their wintering area as it is in shallow. So the fish that already moved up mostly stayed and some left but no others came up until probably today. My Jerkbait bite has slowed drastically the last 4 days but my dock bite has been outstanding! So far 11 is the most I've pulled from 1 dock and that was 2 days ago. Docks absorb a little bit extra heat compared to the surrounding areas when it's cloudy so yes they stack under them this time of the year.
    Great insight man. Yeah these fish just can’t get going this year with this cold spring. Like you said today and this week temps will help. Should be like flipping a switch. Biggens will be eating big time. Can’t wait to go again this coming Saturday. Going to Little Muskego I think. Still talking to buddies trying to figure out what lake to hit.

8. Member
    I see this early every spring on Big Cedar. Big Fish swimming around completely ignoring you!
    Like Vince said...Great time to see the fish that you want to target later in the year!

Quote Originally Posted by jigapig View Post