Thread: TD Amertrade

Question TD Amertrade

I was looking at opening an online trading account. I had one 15-20 years ago with TD Ameritrade. It seems like they charged $9.99 per buy or sell of a stock back then. Do I understand correctly that there are $0 commission on stock trades now? I just didn't think that would be right. I certainly hope it is though. Any of you use TD Ameritrade and can tell me? Also, is there another online brokerage that you would recommend me use besides them? I just liked their platform back when I had an account there before and figured I would go back with them this time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Master View Post
    I was looking at opening an online trading account. I had one 15-20 years ago with TD Ameritrade. It seems like they charged $9.99 per buy or sell of a stock back then. Do I understand correctly that there are $0 commission on stock trades now? I just didn't think that would be right. I certainly hope it is though. Any of you use TD Ameritrade and can tell me? Also, is there another online brokerage that you would recommend me use besides them? I just liked their platform back when I had an account there before and figured I would go back with them this time. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I use them currently and like there platform. Also that's correct $0 commission on stock trades.

3. Member
    If you trade options their Think or Swim Platform is incredible.

4. Member
    Yep, TD Ameritrade is the way to go. They don't charge commission fees on buys or sells unless it is an OTC penny stock. As mentioned, think or swim is awesome

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Think or swim is great except for when it isn't working. Many people including myself was having problems with the platform during the extreme volatile sessions. Prices were wrong, couldn't get fills, and sometimes couldn't even log on. Now, those are rare events, and 99% of the time it worked just fine. I think most platforms run into some issues from time to time. It just appeared that TD had more issues than most during the extreme sell off days.

I'm not telling this to sway you from TD, just more of a heads up.
    Thanos was the hero

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Think or swim is great except for when it isn't working. Many people including myself was having problems with the platform during the extreme volatile sessions. Prices were wrong, couldn't get fills, and sometimes couldn't even log on. Now, those are rare events, and 99% of the time it worked just fine. I think most platforms run into some issues from time to time. It just appeared that TD had more issues than most during the extreme sell off days.

I'm not telling this to sway you from TD, just more of a heads up.
    It does take quite a bit of internet to run think or swim also. I normally have the regular platform pulled up on my other laptop with think or swim when I'm daytrading just in case it freezes up. I think that's more of a slow laptop issue for me though than a think or swim issue.