Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If a 23 tempest will run 250 rpm less than a 23 trophy, that puts me at approx 6600 rpm. Maybe I need a 25p?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

2. Member
    A tempest will run 100-150 more rpm's than a trophy of the same pitch if both props are in good shape since the trophy it drags an extra blade. If your going to try the trophy again plug all the holes solid and see if that helps the blow out.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    A tempest will run 100-150 more rpm's than a trophy of the same pitch if both props are in good shape since the trophy it drags an extra blade. If your going to try the trophy again plug all the holes solid and see if that helps the blow out.
    Did try it with all the plugs. Still spun to 5000 before it came out of the hole. Reminded me of my jet boat

I have a 25 tempest to try. Hope to get over to the river tonight.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    If a 23 tempest will run 250 rpm less than a 23 trophy, that puts me at approx 6600 rpm. Maybe I need a 25p?
    Josh,
    the same pitch Tempest Plus will run 250-300 RPM more that trophy Plus. 3 blades vs 4 blades.
    BTW, best way to run a Trophy is solid PVS no ring, or exhaust ring and large hole PVS.
    Mine comes up to break over in 7-8 sec with Solid PVS no ring.

Yes, there is a possibility that you would need a 25"p Tempest Plus.

5. Member
    Now I need to buy a tempest 25p

66.9 mph at 6050 rpm. Great hole shot. Loved the way it ran. I think I could get a little more from it with some jackplate adjustments. Rooster tail was a little high and it blew out coming onto plane if I tried to trim up at all. Once it say down, the bite was incredible.

poems about courage
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

6. Member
    Now I need to buy a tempest 25p

66.9 mph at 6050 rpm. Great hole shot. Loved the way it ran. I think I could get a little more from it with some jackplate adjustments. Rooster tail was a little high and it blew out coming onto plane if I tried to trim up at all. Once it say down, the bite was incredible.

poems about courage
    Josh,
    Try bringing the plate up to 2 7/8" p2p, since it seems the sweet spot for me with it, and really you shouldn't trim up till you break over for good bit. If rooster too high still, you may be over trimming a tad. Have fun with it, and don't forget to get it blueprinted and balanced by Croxton when you are done.

7. Member
    They trim up easily. Very easy to over trim.

8. Member
    Any experiences with a powertech tro4? Local guy is letting my try a 24p.

Should i be using the 2 7/8" for all my prop testing as a baseline?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

9. Member
    Any experiences with a powertech tro4? Local guy is letting my try a 24p.

Should I be using the 2 7/8" for all my prop testing as a baseline?
    If that is the number that you found most efficient, then you should use it as base line, however, the most common number used for our type of hulls is 3" and adjust 1/4" up or down.
    I tend not to use any off brand, since they are trying to copy the original, so I stay with Mercury, and even that I have it tuned by Croxton so that I know that I have eliminated all variables.
    Trophy Plus small hub and Tempest Plus seem to work best for me, hence I will be staying with them.
    Be well and be blessed

10. Member
    TRO4's turn a little stiffer than a Trophy plus of the same pitch but I think your going to want the bow lift of the tempest with your boat. Did you try changing PVS plug sizes in the Tempest to stop some blow out?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    TRO4's turn a little stiffer than a Trophy plus of the same pitch but I think your going to want the bow lift of the tempest with your boat. Did you try changing PVS plug sizes in the Tempest to stop some blow out?
    The tempest ran great. It was the trophy that blew out on hole shot no matter what i did with the vents
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

12. Member
    The tempest ran great. It was the trophy that blew out on hole shot no matter what i did with the vents
    Josh,
    You may need to run exhaust ring, or start at 3.5" and bring up 1/4" at time till you find the spot, if you feel that you need to run a Trophy Plus.
    I have a 10" JP putting it a tad deeper at takeoff and in cleaner water away from transom.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Josh,
    You may need to run exhaust ring, or start at 3.5" and bring up 1/4" at time till you find the spot, if you feel that you need to run a Trophy Plus.
    I have a 10" JP putting it a tad deeper at takeoff and in cleaner water away from transom.
    I bought a 25 tempest after borrowing one. Going to run it to get some numbers then ship it off to get tweaked
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Did try it with all the plugs. Still spun to 5000 before it came out of the hole. Reminded me of my jet boat

I have a 25 tempest to try. Hope to get over to the river tonight.
    The Turbo is a very good prop, faster than the a45, a lot better in my opinion than a trophy, the trophy does drive nice though, never on any I owned could I get one to work to my satisfaction. When I found the right person to rework my Furys that at present is my go to prop, in stock form I think the turbos and tempest plus are better
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-02-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12