519 and 9 foot garage door

So I am looking at a new Z519 and was wondering if it will fit through my 9 ft wide garage door. Who else has one that they can fit in their garage with a 9ft door? Looking at the specs it should fit but I figured I better come to the experts.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    It will probably fit, but with no more than 2 inches on either side, and once inside the garage, you had better hook the truck up next time at precisely the same angle as it went in, or you’ll have problems getting to the lake that morning. A few years ago, I bit the bullet and had a local contractor replace my 9-foot door with a 10-foot door for this very reason. 108 inches, minus the door trim, leaves very little wiggle room on a 101-inch boat. If you look very closely at my signature pic, my left garage door has a 10-foot opening and the right has a 9-foot opening. I’ve never had a single person notice that they aren’t the same size. The drawback is the expense of the change! Mine ran around $2200, and that was several years ago.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 07-12-2022 at 06:32 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I currently have a war eagle thats 97" wide on the trailer and I know what you mean. I had to do that now. The Ranger website shows 99" wide for a new Z519. I wonder how accurate that is?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    I currently have a war eagle thats 97" wide on the trailer and I know what you mean. I had to do that now. The Ranger website shows 99" wide for a new Z519. I wonder how accurate that is?
    You are correct on the 2020 Z519 99" width measurement which is the width on the trailer. Since the 2020 Z519 is 97" wide, the trailer fenders stick out about 1" from each side of the boat. So those interested in overall width for garage door fit should use the "width on trailer" number of 99" as you did.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

5. Member
    jc2bg, to me, your $2,200 garage modification was well worth it if it saves scraping your boat getting it into and out of your garage.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azhohar View Post
    jc2bg, to me, your $2,200 garage modification was well worth it if it saves scraping your boat getting it into and out of your garage.
    You are correct, sir. I never regret expenses/purchases that accomplish what they were intended to address. Going from a couple of inches on each side to approximately 8 inches per side has meant that I never have to worry about the dreaded “garage jackknife” again.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azhohar View Post
    You are correct on the 2020 Z519 99" width measurement which is the width on the trailer. Since the 2020 Z519 is 97" wide, the trailer fenders stick out about 1" from each side of the boat. So those interested in overall width for garage door fit should use the "width on trailer" number of 99" as you did.
    Single axle trailer at 99" should be do able for me but I dont think I could pull off a tandem axle though. I can modify the trim(rip out a coupe 2x4s) then I will have a true 9 ft but thats all I can do.

8. Member
    If it is super tight, you need to look at a electric dolly like a Park-it 360 or a Trax. They are expensive but they work very well in tight situations. Its cheaper than modifying a garage door or fiberglass repairs on the fenders.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    If it is super tight, you need to look at a electric dolly like a Park-it 360 or a Trax. They are expensive but they work very well in tight situations. Its cheaper than modifying a garage door or fiberglass repairs on the fenders.
    Right now I just grab mine and move it around by hand, I think I should be able to do the same with a single axle 519 but maybe not. I better figure it out before I buy it.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Yes, I think once you get down into the 3-4 inch range on each side [which you would have, maximum, with no door trim], you will want to be able to move the rig by hand when hooking up the boat. Otherwise, single axle or double axle, sooner or later you’re going to get really tight if you don’t pull precisely straight out of the garage. Before I converted to a 10-foot door, I relied on a lawn tractor with a hitch on the front—welded up for me by a friend—to get me at least far enough out of the garage so that a slightly wrong angle with the truck didn’t get me too close to one side or the other. A dolly, of course, would also work, but unless it’s motorized, that’s still a lot of weight to shove around. Just me, I’m also not a fan of single axle trailers on a 519, but that’s your own affair for sure. Good luck with your new boat!

Well since the maximum width of a trailer is 102” without a “Wide Load” sign you are good to go. It will be tight though. If you plan on a lot of long haul towing, get a dual axle.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    I managed a previous boat with this small margin of error. Can it be done? You bet. Will you hit the sides occasionally. The risk is very high there, always. That being said, as time went on, the chances dropped. I painted reference stripes on my driveway to guide my approach. I then managed ONLY the side of the boat and door that I could see clearly. As long as I managed one side closely, I knew the other side was fine.

Always be willing to stop to recheck your path by actually getting out to visually inspect it. Be aware of the two times that errors have the highest chance to occur. In the morning you will be in a hurry and want to get to the water. And at night when you just want to get the boat in after a long day of fishing.

Good luck.

13. Member
    My 2016 z119c just fits in my 9 foot door. I have about 2” on both sides. I back the Boat in until I can lower the jack on the garage cement and push it in the rest of the way. I didn’t want one but now I’m glad I have a single axle trailer because I would t be able to do what I do with a dual.

A mentioned above, you better be sure your truck is in the exact position it was when you put the boat on or you’re ripping/damaging something. To avoid this, I pull the boat out of tgarage to the point where the tires are inline with the door and I know I have enough room to clear everything.

I plan on adding another 10 or so feet to the garage and making my 9’ door closer to 20 so hopefully, I won’t have to live like this much longer

14. Member
    Boilermaker, no lines on my driveway but I do the same thing. Only pay attention to the one side. If that gap is too big between the tire and the side of the garage I’m looking at, I know I need to reposition.
    Last edited by Lape0019; 04-24-2020 at 04:04 PM.

15. Member
    Gsmith223, I am looking at a new z519 myself. A couple of questions:
    (1) What is the total Height of a mounted 10ft Talon from the floor? The height of my garage door is 82 inches and I don't want to mess with tilt brackets every time I go in and out of the garage for the next 20 years.
    (2) Doing the custom build route - at the Dealer, were you able to get them to knock anything off the total price? What %?

My boat is 101" and my door is 116" so that leaves me 7.5"on either side. The building is 25 x 12'. My back wall has two studs @ 4' and 8'. When I look in the rear view mirror I line up the 2 seat posts, the center of the motor and the center of the studs. That puts me dead center in the garage. So far in the 6yrs I've never hit the sides and I always have room to walk around my boat.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Member
    I have my Z519 in a stall with a 9 foot door - not much room to spare. I'm replacing 2 9 foot with a 16 foot this spring
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

18. Member
    i noticed something strange about my garage door its like 16x7,on my 519vx 200 optimax i better have engine down,i measured my door 7' but the header is 6'8" is this how they are built

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i noticed something strange about my garage door its like 16x7,on my 519vx 200 optimax i better have engine down,i measured my door 7' but the header is 6'8" is this how they are built
    Your door opening is supposed to be 1.5 inches taller than the door, so when you put your 2x6 up against the header it's the same height as the door.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums