Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    10 gauge is for graphs
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    I'm surprised that it only had 10ga. Mine came with 6ga. with two pos and two negatives running up2 the trolling motor. O1 X19, maybe I ordered it that way I don't remember but I did pretty much load it up with all of the available upgrades at the time.
    Mine actually has 8ga from the TM plug leads to the battery, I just assumed the 10ga coming out of the plug went all the way back. Either way I am still upgrading to 6ga

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    Flip' ........ I agree with Ranger Rod!

When I had an 80lb Fortrex on my X19, I typically ran it on 35-40% most of the time at the lake (no current).

HOWEVER ...... having had a boat (duck boat) with undersized wire (10ga) and having melted wires before due to running the TM much of the day due to current ........ I'm a firm believer in 'doing it right'. I know you're going to go ahead and use the 6ga, but this is mainly for anybody that ever reads this thread for informative purposes. It's amazing how quickly wires, connectors, etc. build heat when using undersized stuff.

pa.X19 ....... Most likely that's EXACTLY what you did. The 6ga TM wiring is an upgrade over the standard size, which for a lot of models was mostly 10ga, but occasionally you'll see one with 8ga.
    I definitely do not want to chance melting anything, I decided today while fishing that I was going to do it the right way. The extra hour or two of work will definitely be worth it just for the peace of mind alone. I do not want to worry about limiting my usage based on wiring restrictions.

I ordered the supplies for the install just a few mins ago, now we shall see how long it takes to get here with all the craziness going on.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

4. Member
    Hey FlipSide go ahead and forward that Ultrex over to my place...I'll PM my shipping info !!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    Hey FlipSide go ahead and forward that Ultrex over to my place...I'll PM my shipping info !!
    Sure thing!

I did some test fitting of the mount and it seems like the head of the TM is going to hang over the side of the gunnel quite a bit if I utilize the current mounting holes in the boat... I will also not be able to use the hole that was under the previous TM that my transducer and GPS puck cable runs through to attach to the TM and graph...

How should I go about sealing the other holes up that the old TM was mounted to? Will some marine grade silicone suffice? The holes will be under the mount.

Also, since there is not access to under the mounting area how in the heck am I gonna get my big arse (6' 240lbs) in there to put the nuts and washers on the other end of the bolts? If need be I can enlist the help of my 19 year old brother who is 150lbs soaking wet hahaha

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    Sure thing!

I did some test fitting of the mount and it seems like the head of the TM is going to hang over the side of the gunnel quite a bit if I utilize the current mounting holes in the boat... I will also not be able to use the hole that was under the previous TM that my transducer and GPS puck cable runs through to attach to the TM and graph...

How should I go about sealing the other holes up that the old TM was mounted to? Will some marine grade silicone suffice? The holes will be under the mount.

Also, since there is not access to under the mounting area how in the heck am I gonna get my big arse (6' 240lbs) in there to put the nuts and washers on the other end of the bolts? If need be I can enlist the help of my 19 year old brother who is 150lbs soaking wet hahaha
    I just went through this with removing an Edge and putting on a Fortrex. Existing holes did not line up at all. I laid the Fortrex where I wanted it to go, marked the hole locations, then drilled them out. Left the old holes without filling them in...the troller covered them up so out of sight out of mind for me!!! Also, where my troller plug and bow trim switch is, I removed that plate and cut a nice access hole so I could reach in and use stainless bolts with nylon nuts and washers to get a nice secure mount. This access hole is cut just shy of the welds up front...worked great

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    I just went through this with removing an Edge and putting on a Fortrex. Existing holes did not line up at all. I laid the Fortrex where I wanted it to go, marked the hole locations, then drilled them out. Left the old holes without filling them in...the troller covered them up so out of sight out of mind for me!!! Also, where my troller plug and bow trim switch is, I removed that plate and cut a nice access hole so I could reach in and use stainless bolts with nylon nuts and washers to get a nice secure mount. This access hole is cut just shy of the welds up front...worked great
    I did a little mocking up tonight using the existing holes instead of drilling new ones thus far, here is a pic:

I am not a fan of how far it sticks out past the gunwale, but since it sets so high up it may be fine as far as banging it off docks when docking the boat. But I am probably going to drill the new holes. I found out that I can get to the bolts by removing the recessed trolling motor tray

Does anyone have a picture of the angle/location that they mounted it on their boat by chance? If so I would greatly appreciate seeing it. If you post on here I can send you my number so you can text it and not fool with uploading it to a image hosting site to post here

8. Member
    IMG_4708.jpgIMG_4709.jpgIMG_4710.jpgIMG_4711.jpgIMG_4712.jpgIMG_4713.jpgIMG_4714.jpg

Here are some pics of factory installed Ultrex on my X19. Let me know if you'd like additional angles or measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw18 View Post
    IMG_4708.jpgIMG_4709.jpgIMG_4710.jpgIMG_4711.jpgIMG_4712.jpgIMG_4713.jpgIMG_4714.jpg

Here are some pics of factory installed Ultrex on my X19. Let me know if you'd like additional angles or measurements.
    Thank you!

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for

Now I just need everything to get shipped so I can install and go enjoy it!

I ordered this to put down under where I am going to bolt the mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its pretty much the same stuff as that grip tape that is used as a step pad. I filed down the threaded rivnuts previously used to bolt the TM mount down to be level with the mounting surface, I am going to put some silicone in the holes and then lay that stuff over top of it to clean the look up a bit, plus its white so from a distance it will look like part of the boat

10. Member
    I just did mine. The instructions with the motor are pretty good.
    Install 1 bolt and lower the TM to see if everything is cool before drilling the others.
    I think the shaft is suppose to be around 1 3/4" away from the front of the boat.
    I also made sure the head was not hanging off the side. My old one did and I didn't like how it hit hit stuff while putting it on my lift.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

11. Member
    Flip',
    I know and feel your pain! My '08 X19 was some kind of Limited Tournament Series and had a big ol' fancy decorative padded front deck dash cover. It was cool and really made the boat look super nice ....... but it made my Maxxum hang over like your original mocked up Ultrex. I was forced to leave it mounted that way b/c if I turned it (like I wanted to), the mount would contact that decorative dash panel.

With that said, it hanging over never was a major problem ..... but I did have to be aware of it at all times when docking on the port side.

There's a few pictures in my build thread if you need them to kinda see what I'm trying to say. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=547323

If you do decide to not use the original holes and make new ones ........ I would put some gorilla tape on the underside of those holes and put a dollop of silicone in the hole. I know Xpress' ain't the most water tight, but I'd do everything I can to keep from allowing any more to get in there. As to how you'd get in there, IDK. My boat had large openings behind that decorative front dash piece that made getting to the TM bolts fairly easy. My Xpress HD16DBX duck boat has a 4" circular cover that the dealership or Xpress cut into the top cap wall to gain access to the trolling motor bolts ..... but I wouldn't recommend that for an X19 unless it's an absolute last resort ...... and I mean you can't get a small person to crawl up the port rod locker.

Hope it helps.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    I just did mine. The instructions with the motor are pretty good.
    Install 1 bolt and lower the TM to see if everything is cool before drilling the others.
    I think the shaft is suppose to be around 1 3/4" away from the front of the boat.
    I also made sure the head was not hanging off the side. My old one did and I didn't like how it hit hit stuff while putting it on my lift.
    I read through the instructions when I opened up the TM, they are pretty detailed

Flip',
    I know and feel your pain! My '08 X19 was some kind of Limited Tournament Series and had a big ol' fancy decorative padded front deck dash cover. It was cool and really made the boat look super nice ....... but it made my Maxxum hang over like your original mocked up Ultrex. I was forced to leave it mounted that way b/c if I turned it (like I wanted to), the mount would contact that decorative dash panel.

With that said, it hanging over never was a major problem ..... but I did have to be aware of it at all times when docking on the port side.

There's a few pictures in my build thread if you need them to kinda see what I'm trying to say. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=547323

If you do decide to not use the original holes and make new ones ........ I would put some gorilla tape on the underside of those holes and put a dollop of silicone in the hole. I know Xpress' ain't the most water tight, but I'd do everything I can to keep from allowing any more to get in there. As to how you'd get in there, IDK. My boat had large openings behind that decorative front dash piece that made getting to the TM bolts fairly easy. My Xpress HD16DBX duck boat has a 4" circular cover that the dealership or Xpress cut into the top cap wall to gain access to the trolling motor bolts ..... but I wouldn't recommend that for an X19 unless it's an absolute last resort ...... and I mean you can't get a small person to crawl up the port rod locker.

Hope it helps.
    -391v
    I am def going to use tape and silicone to seal up the holes and re-drill. I really don't want to have to worry about knocking the head off the TM when docking lol. I found out that I can remove my recessed TM pedal tray and access the underside of the bolts so were good to go there

I will have to drill a small hole opposite side of where my bow switch panel is to run the wire for the transducer but shouldn't have to be but a 1/2'' or so.

Got the new wiring ran yesterday

Honestly it was a piece of cake, now I just gotta wait for amazon to drop ship my non slip pad to cover the old bolt holes and I can finish it up!

If you need pics of an ultrex on an x19 that doesnt hang over the edge pm me your phone number and ill text you pics of how mine sits

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

15. Member
    Glad it worked out easy for ya! Be back on the water before ya know it

Finished the install and cleaned up the wiring today! I cannot wait to get this thing on the water! Gotta work tomorrow and it’s supposed to be 32 on Saturday morning

Thanks for all the advice fellas! It is much appreciated

17. Member
    Looks good FlipSide...I’m jealous of er

32 no biggy just bundle up right

Looks like you have it in a bind being spun around backwards like that. If it had cable steer youd snap one, not sure what happens to these motors- maybe not calibrated if the gears slip with power off i just dont know

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

19. Member
    Good Job Flip'!!!!

Anxious to hear how you like that motor ...... and your electronics setup and images.

I need a spotlock trolling motor badly .... and can not make up my mind between Ultrex and Ghost. Sadly the Gen3 HDS units I have aren't new enough to work all the features the Ghost is capable of doing. So it's really a toss-up for me ....... or I got to buy a new depthfinder too.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Good Job Flip'!!!!

Anxious to hear how you like that motor ...... and your electronics setup and images.

I need a spotlock trolling motor badly .... and can not make up my mind between Ultrex and Ghost. Sadly the Gen3 HDS units I have aren't new enough to work all the features the Ghost is capable of doing. So it's really a toss-up for me ....... or I got to buy a new depthfinder too.
    I will definitely post an update after I get her out on the water this weekend

If it helps at all, I got the ultrex w/o link and I only got the us2 ducer. I am still going to run my HDSI ducer on the front with my 898. If you don't want all of the fancy bells and whistles to follow contours, etc. its a bit cheaper lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast