Thread: Sonar install

Lightbulb Sonar install

The transducer for the Elite 7 HDI is permanently installed in the Predator motor console. I wanted depth and temp (at least) for outings when I put the hull plug in and paddled. I had an extra power cord and skimmer transducer for the 5" Lowrance unit that I use on ice, so I fabricobbled up a removable setup, using a Scotty arm.
    polling 1.pngpence.png Joke.png It werks!
    matt shed funny.png Just need a shakedown cruise now

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

Nice work. "Fabricobbled," is that an adjective?
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    A tip of the hat to AvE on YT https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil

It don't look fabricobbled to me. Nice job on getting what ya needed.

How do you like that motorized Predator? Its at the top of my list for an upgrade.

With social distancing happening this summer the yak is going to be my main vessel. Maybe get the Champion out in the fall.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

6. Member
    The seat, overall construction quality, and tracking are great. TBH, it's not the right 'yak for me. A group 24 and the motor console are a load to lug around. I freeze my tail off in cold weather 'cause I'm not paddling. It's not super stable to stand in. The rudder lift design is marginal. The molded-in carry handles are hard to grip. I'd swap it in a heartbeat for any pedal kayak. OT has a new line of electric kayaks that look promising. If I were trolling, fishing salt, and/or had to travel far against wind/current, the Predator might be a good choice as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    How do you like that motorized Predator? Its at the top of my list for an upgrade.

With social distancing happening this summer the yak is going to be my main vessel. Maybe get the Champion out in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    The seat, overall construction quality, and tracking are great. TBH, it's not the right 'yak for me. A group 24 and the motor console are a load to lug around. I freeze my tail off in cold weather 'cause I'm not paddling. It's not super stable to stand in. The rudder lift design is marginal. The molded-in carry handles are hard to grip. I'd swap it in a heartbeat for any pedal kayak. OT has a new line of electric kayaks that look promising. If I were trolling, fishing salt, and/or had to travel far against wind/current, the Predator might be a good choice as is.
    Thanks for the honesty. It does seem like a yak that needs a trailer for sure. Would it trailer ok with the battery and motor in it?
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

8. Member
    Probably - the 'yax is some 117#, with the console. Add another 45# or so for the battery, and maybe 25# for gear.

I welded up an extension that goes in my Chevy XCSB pickup receiver hitch, with a wood Vee. Once the kayak's loaded I throw the motor console into the cockpit loose, with the sonar and sealed sonar battery in the console. I don't transport it with the TM battery in it. I bought the Bonnlo cart for moving it from the truck to the water. That turned out to be too narrow for some of the hilly/hairy access points I use, so I made up a 1.5" Sch40 PVC cart using the same wheels and added scupper pins. That works out great, but the plastic axle seems a little light to handle the motor/battery in addition to the other mountain of gear I carry. Eventually, I'll improve the cart, with the goal being to transport it from tailgate to the water fully loaded.

Untitled3.png

Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    Thanks for the honesty. It does seem like a yak that needs a trailer for sure. Would it trailer ok with the battery and motor in it?