Johnson Fast Strike 150 J150GLEUE on Ranger R80

Well I am not sure if this is the correct place or under Ranger Boats? But anyhow, while near WOT on rough water the alarm goes off intermediately (when hitting the rough waters) and if I continue the motor will shutdown. I've been offered a few different suggestion (1) bad switch (ignition switch) replaced it , (2) the purple wire in the motor is loose - checked and wire tied so it would not "jump around". With that it still does it, ideas? thanks

Is the motor completely dead or down to idle?
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

If the system check gauge is going through it start up cycle when this happens then you have lost power momentarily. This can be a loose connection on the key switch or the wire is broken. When it happened to me I had to gain access to the back of the key switch and with the key turned on I moved the wiring bundle and the gauge started it cycle over. It was a broken wire at the push on connector at the switch. I have also heard of people having a heavy key ring and the bouncing causing it to turn of the key.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. Member
    So it seems like what Danrude has mentioned, almost like it was going thru the start up cycle. I don't recall it ever complete shutting down just the alarm going off again and again.

5. Member
    Interesting and thanks - I have tries to grab wires and recreate the situation but that has not worked. Once I pull the boat from storage I'll look into each wire in more detail, not sure how to check each wire as I am not 100% sure where all of them go.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Check all ground connections the motor will have a few also.

7. Member
    I had a similar experience when I had mine and it was cause by a bad sensor in the oil tank. Can’t say if that is your problem. Just giving my experience with it.

8. Member
    Wow - so I just re-read my last post... you would think that the English language was not my first, that was horrible! Anyhow it should have read, I have tried to grab wires (individually) from the switch and alarm module and recreate the situation without the boat moving.

Jogle1023 - was there a way to detect if the oil sensor was bad? Sending a PM also and thanks for the idea.

9. Member
    Will do - thanks

This should help
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Was the lanyard attached to the key when this occurred?

12. Member
    I have a small floating key-chain if that's what you asking?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No what I was asking was do you have the RED plastic lanyard (kill switch attachment) installed on the ignition switch?

14. Member
    ChamioNman - I am a bit confused... I do have a kill switch, but if you are asking me if I have the lanyard clipped to the ignition key, no I do not it is clipped to me. thanks

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shane3911 View Post
    ChamioNman - I am a bit confused... I do have a kill switch, but if you are asking me if I have the lanyard clipped to the ignition key, no I do not it is clipped to me. thanks
    And where is the other end attached?

16. Member
    One end clipped to my hip and the other the kill switch mechanism.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Whew! Took a long time to get to the end of the tunnel. Try running it with the lanyard not attached to the ignition switch.

18. Member
    Well - thanks to all, I am not out of the woods yet but... I was able to re-create the issue in the driveway (running with the water muffs) by pushing and gently pulling the wiring harnesses behind the key area. Now I just need to figure out if it was a wire, a connection, or something other. Guessing I'll start with the purple power wire...

Concentrate on the purple and the res/purple stripe wires on the back of the key switch. The push on bullet connectors that push on the back of the key switch wires will break inside the insulation right at the connector.
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

20. Member
    Thanks - Danrude I'll start there next week