Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos View Post
    Thanks for the reply Larry. Can not put the positive side of a voltage meter on the ground wire and see if I have current while cranking the engine with the kill switch off? If there was power going to the ground strap would it read the voltage?

thanks Dave
    What Larry is talking about is the difference in potential between the motor and the motor mount. I would think that it possibly is getting hot when the T&T pump is running indicating maybe an open to the ground to the T&T pump. Check the positive and neg cables under the cowl and make sure they are tight. I'm with you though, that bonding cable has definitely been hot.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 06-02-2020 at 12:03 PM.

With only 4 hours on the engine, the insulation burned off quick. Turn the starter over and see if the wire gets hot. It could be the trim pump seeking ground through the engine negative lead by way of this bonding wire, like Reggie said. The insulation is gone, so the wire could be getting hot every time whatever caused it operates. Operate the trim and feel the wire. If it gets warm or hot, the shop will need to find out why. You might feel of the wire with the engine running and see if it is warm or hot, also.

3. Member
    Any update on this one, my 2018 SHO 250 same problem.
    2018 X21 Pro
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    12" Hydraulic Atlas
    Minn Kota 112# Ultrex

I brought it back to the dealer and they checked everything out and said everything was fine. The only thing they could come up with is that possibly during installation a positive and negative may have touched and caused the wire to melt. Engine has been fine all summer and i don't notice anymore melting on the wire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12