Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 225 SHO - Melted Wire Lower Unit

Im not sure exactly what this wire is on the lower unit. Looks like a ground wire. Does anyone know what would cause the insulation to melt?
    Engine has 4 hours on it.
    Thanks

GRDW 1.jpgGRDW 2.jpg
    Last edited by stratos; 04-21-2020 at 02:46 PM.

2. Member
    Nothing melted, it is a ground strap. Technically does not need any insulation. Cheers!
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

Quote Originally Posted by Reata210 View Post
    Nothing melted, it is a ground strap. Technically does not need any insulation. Cheers!
    thanks for the reply but the insulation definitely melted some how.

4. Member
    Unlikely for the wire to get hot from electrical resistance or issue. Certainly something external could have melted it. Sure it’s not some type of abrasion?
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

5. Member
    You can definitely tell it’s melted but no current should be in that grounding wire. My 19’ doesn’t even have insulation. Was it like that when you bought it?

6. Member
    My '16 doesn't have the insulation either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    You can definitely tell it’s melted but no current should be in that grounding wire. My 19’ doesn’t even have insulation. Was it like that when you bought it?
    I don't think it was like that when I picked it up. I've only had it out 3 of 4 times to break it in and only have 4 hours on it so far. I'm going to check with the dealer.

8. Member
    Mine have no insulation either
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

9. Member
    My 2018 does have insulation on the ground wires. The only thing I see on mine that could burn them is when the motor is tucked in all the way they could be up against the trim cylinder. But would it ever get that hot??
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Looks like the liquid spray on tape and your wire is getting hung up when you raise and lower your motor causing the wire to pull out. JMO
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

11. Member
    That is a bonding wire. To help mitigate corrosion. By reducing any possible voltage that may exist between two parts.

It is covered in plastic but that is not for electrical insulation.

A bonding wire is not intended to carry current. If and when there is a fault with the grounding system of the motor then current can try to flow through the bonding wire. It may then melt the plastic. Or burn itself in two.

It is telling you that there is a grounding problem with the motor. Is the boat aluminum? More common with aluminum boats but not unheard of with a fiberglass boat.

12. Member
    Yes, it’s purpose is electrolysis and corrosion prevention. If that wire carried enough current to melt insulation I would think you would immediately see a failure or evidence in something much more sensitive. To melt insulation on that strap the entire mid section and lu would be carrying some serious current. Scratch my head on that one.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

By the way, make sure you only put the motor mate on the left hand post. If you put it on the right hand post...that wire will break when you trim the motor down.

14. Member
    They all will melt because Yamahas are so damn fast

15. Member
    I melted the insulation on my tin rig when I had a ground fault on my boat, went up in smoke, thankfully nothing else was damaged and I just changed the wire for a piece of stainless wire I had laying around
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

16. Member
    Just me but if it's brand new 2020 SHO take it back to where you bought it from and ask them. Big investment hanging on backend of your ride......

Thanks guys for all the replies. I am going to drop the boat off at the dealer this week. I will let you know what I find out.

An update on my post. I brought the boat back to the dealer that did the engine install and they couldn't find anything wrong. They believe its possible that a positive and negative could have touched during the install. I've had the boat out several more time and it doesn't appear that the plastic is melting anymore.

Excess current is the only thing (other than fire) that will burn insulation off of a wire. That being said, the only thing that pulls that much current is the starter.

Pull the kill switch lanyard so the engine won't start, turn the key and run the starter for a few seconds and see if the wire gets hot. If it does, you have a ground problem in the engine. If it doesn't get hot, then you are probably OK, unless it is an intermittent connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    Excess current is the only thing (other than fire) that will burn insulation off of a wire. That being said, the only thing that pulls that much current is the starter.

Pull the kill switch lanyard so the engine won't start, turn the key and run the starter for a few seconds and see if the wire gets hot. If it does, you have a ground problem in the engine. If it doesn't get hot, then you are probably OK, unless it is an intermittent connection.
    Thanks for the reply Larry. Can not put the positive side of a voltage meter on the ground wire and see if I have current while cranking the engine with the kill switch off? If there was power going to the ground strap would it read the voltage?

thanks Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast