Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I had a 73 that flew by my head at 68 mph. Never saw it again.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

2. Member
    I had my original 93sv come loose three times. Read on here they floated which it did the first time so did not really worry about it too much. It floated the second time also but the third it went to the bottom of the river. I reluctantly replaced it with a UHD during Black Friday. Came on here to see what people are doing to secure them as do not want to lose another.

Really like some of the ideas. I was thinking of possibly adhering some type of floatable material to it? Has anyone done something like that yet or I will just go with one on this thread. Possibly make a sticky on this topic as it appears many have had them come off?
    War Eagle 2072 LDBR - Mercury 150 4stroke - Hydraulic Jackplate
    Minn Kota Ultrex - Garmin 93 ultra bow and 126sv ultra at console

3. Member
    Look. These units are not perfect. I have seen mine change in view quality fishing the same lake and spots based on water conditions changing. Sometimes the ghost tree shows up. Sometimes its really bad and other times it's not. I seem to have to make adjustments each time Im out on the water and when moving to another location on the lake. So these are not "set and forget" units. But I can still see the fish movement which is the main thing. At times they are really crisp and other times I can see them moving but they are really fuzzy. If I cant improve it at the time with adjustments I just adapt to how they are showing up that day and keep fishing. The big thing you will really like about the gamins which makes some of the livescope problems not a big deal, is their ease of use. You cant screw them up. While waiting to get on the water, if you can, get on the simulator mode and start messing with them. You will speed up your learning curve. Im sure Garmin would like to solve the ghost tree issue but don't let it ruin your experience with these units.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipLaney View Post
    As a guy that hasn't even got his new Garmin's out on the water yet, I hate reading threads like this. The one's regarding lousy performance after certain software upgrades are pretty disheartening as well. Crossing my fingers that my maiden voyage next weekend includes only pleasant surprises.

4. Member
    Just replying to this thread as I was curious about it and see others have had similar issues. But I lost an Echomap 126 while driving to ramp on highway one morning. Real kick in the gut. I had it replaced. For a while I thought it was something I’d done wrong. So I started triple checking mine before traveling. Low and behold it happened again and the unit luckily fell into boat this time. I now take them off before traveling and I’m going to likely drill a hole to secure them better while on water. But the moral of the story is, it’s a bracket issue. Don’t travel on highway with them on, you’ll find out like I did that they can feel like they’re locked in very tight only to find when you get to the ramp they’ll magically be gone.

5. Member
    Is the 9 inch the right size or the 6 inch??

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungle George View Post
    On Amazon;
    Grifiti Band Joes 9" 5 Pack for Books, Crab Traps, Art, Cooking, Wrapping, Exercise, Bag Wraps, Heat, Cold, UV, Chemical Resistant Silicone Rubber Bands

is the 9 inch bands or 6 inch bands the correct size??

7. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    You All with problems. Put unit in then in cradle, push latch down, then push release bar and push down a little more. This locks it in. I have had mine since March and been in some really rough water, never to come loose.

8. Member
    I've ran them on 2 different boats for yrs.and never take them off and mine the other day popped off and teetering on the edge ,I have to say I hit one off those wake boat wakes that when you come down you know there's a new stress crack somewhere

9. Member
    I have two 93sv - both have fallen out of the cradles. To remedy, I snap them in, then press the top a 2nd time to ensure they are snug. I sometimes get it to snap a second time. No issues since I began double checking the fit before going out on the water. It does take a lot to remove them after they are in snug.

10. Member
    Do the big rubber bands have to be positioned off the touch screen? I thought they might cause a problem if they're touching it.

Make sure to install the foam or rubber gasket that sticks on the back of the unit. My buddy had his fall out and after the gasket was installed never another issue.
    Paul Gifto
    2013 Nitro Z9 2021 250hp Mercury ProXS
    Ontario Canada 🇨🇦

12. Member
    So what does Garmin say to do? The manual I have doesn't mention to triple check and "rig" the cradle to secure the unit. I double check the cradling connection every time I put the headunit on and check it routinely throughout the day...especially before a run in rough water. I have three HB's and a new 93sv for livescope. Today was the second time the headunit popped off. Sure, I can make my own fix, but there should not be a need for the owner to "fix" anything on a brand new head unit. I had the same headunit 2 years and had the same issues with the cradle letting go of the display. Happened 2-3 times.

I am going to call Garmin on Monday. Just curious if anyone can chime in with experience dealing with Garmin on this and what they said. There should not be a need for rubber bands, small nails, or garage-made clips to keep the headunit on. Garmin has many well-paid engineers and pro staff who are supposed to identify issues, design the fix, field test it, and back it up.
    1999 TR-21
    2013 Merc 250 ProXS
    S/N 2B013848 and Model 1250P73BD
    25p Tempest Plus

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    Once I snap my Echomap plus 93 into the cradle, I need a crowbar to remove it. I don't see any way possible it could pop out.
    This for me also. I have to hold my mouth just right and pry the crap out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    Once I snap my Echomap plus 93 into the cradle, I need a crowbar to remove it. I don't see any way possible it could pop out.
    This is the case with mine as well. I have a flat plastic pry bar that I use to release it. Not sure what the pry bar is called but it is used by auto upholsters to release plastic snap fasteners.
    That being said, I make sure that I get a loud snap when mounting. If I don’t I remove it and try again.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

15. Member

20210924_135651.jpg

Or this.....
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

17. Member
    sucks to spend big$$$$ for a Garmin unit only to have to buy a damn rubber band to keep it in place

18. Member
    I just saw a thread on this yesterday. There's a couple of people making clips that hook between the cradle and the ball screw. But the nail idea is awesome but a quick release pin would be better.

19. Member
    Scroll down a bit, the title is Garmin Cradle Locker.

20. Member
    I came across a cradle lock on Ebay and gave it a try. It worked great on my one ultra 126 unit so I got 2 more for my ultra 106 units.

Garmin Ultra Safety Latch - Garmin Echomap Ultra Tamper Resistant Latch | eBay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast