Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs Up Weirdest catch you've had?

We got into a quick flurry of bites up in a shallow channel on some runts, and then the bite just shut off on us. We stuck it out for another 6 hours trying to figure them out, and I was digging deep into my finesse arsenal. Pulled out an Okashira head and threw on a 2.8" Keitech when my buddy started laying into a bunch of perk on the jerk bait (a few of which were VERY happy ) figuring their might be some bass nearby. Nope. Somehow managed to broadside a sucker while swimming it back.

Easily the weirdest catch I've had in many years. Thought it was going to be one of the few biggens left in this particular pond. Was disappointed, but it made for a good laugh.

Early spring bass fishing can get weird. Water's warming up and all sorts of fish come out to play. Some are REALLY happy to be caught.
    ��
    One of my more mind boggling catches this day too. Link below, enjoy!

Last edited by Reel Northern Bass; 04-20-2020 at 08:01 AM.

2. Member
    Mud filled boot on the Ohio River.. it was troposized.. looked like a size 14 or soo..
    i was a kid bank fishing for catfish, it put up a good fight in the current
    true story.

36 inch carp on a live bluegill about 5 to 6 inches long. Fishing for catfish at the time and thought I had a really nice flathead on. Me and my buddy were very surprised when it was a big carp.

4. Member
    A milk jug hammered my swim bait Saturday...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Mud filled boot on the Ohio River.. it was troposized.. looked like a size 14 or soo..
    i was a kid bank fishing for catfish, it put up a good fight in the current
    true story.

Quote Originally Posted by Altro Cat View Post
    36 inch carp on a live bluegill about 5 to 6 inches long. Fishing for catfish at the time and thought I had a really nice flathead on. Me and my buddy were very surprised when it was a big carp.
    I've heard from friends that those big carp put up a hell of a fight. We have a few good spots for catching them pretty close to home, I've seen several in the 17 lb to 25 lb. range caught the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by OdingyNBugs View Post
    A milk jug hammered my swim bait Saturday...
    Don't think I've ever caught a container of any kind while fishing, usually just a mile or two of someone else's fishing line.

A man’s toupee. It hit a crankbait on the “S” turns on the Roanoke River arm on Smith Mountain Lake.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Condom on a deep little N in the Washington channel on the Potomac. You can't just slap it off like a weed. Even using pliers was a challenge! I contemplated just cutting the line.

I caught a sucker in the mouth while trolling a crankbait a few years ago. I've also caught several hornpout on lizards and chatterbaits.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

9. Member
    Snagged this 18" sucker on a fly while trout fishing the Kennebec last fall. He was hooked at the pec fin and had a wrap around it so he put up a pretty good fight in the current and had me excited about a trophy rainbow.
    IMG_20191009_134017132(1).jpg

My favorite bycatch is a freshwater clam. At least you know you're fishing deep enough. I've had it happen to me or someone in the boat maybe 3-4 times so it's not so big of surprise anymore but watch a kid reel one in for the first time. Their face goes from excited to very confused.
    Last edited by BP in ME; 04-20-2020 at 08:09 AM.

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    About a 3lb chicken in white with spark plugs tied around it's legs with it's throat cut ….lol maybe a sacrifice of some kind..lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. Member
    Sorry, duplicate post
    Last edited by BP in ME; 04-20-2020 at 08:10 AM.

12. Member
    I had a duck dive down and eat a LC pointer once...that was a good time...no it wasnt
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

While muskie fishing I caught a 3'x5' piece of barn roofing tin. That thing zigged and zagged and kick my ass for a while.

14. Member
    In my fishing circle I am known as the multi species angler. I only ever throw bass lures, but almost every trip I catch some other type of fish.
    My friends joke that I must have the best lure presentation ever, all the fish in the lake want what I throw!

Ive caught drum on jigs, chatterbaits, lipless cranks, Texas rigged soft plastics and spinnerbaits.

I've caught catfish on damn near everything. Usually giant ones, I've got a few 20lb+ catfish on jigs.

White bass, crappie, skipjack on crank baits.

Caught a chain pickerel (in Alabama!) on a frog. I've caught giant 3ft gar on frogs.

Warmouth while punching is a favorite of mine..

My weirdest catch ever would have to be a giant bass though, an 8.47lb monster. I was at a local lake with my girlfriend, and we were testing out a cheap spinning combo I had bought for her. I had just received some rugby wobble heads in one of those monthly tackle boxes, and because it was heavy I decided to tie it on. I then put a half senko on it, and a bizarre color one, I think it was half purple half black. Basically I rigged up just some random junk that could cast really far, and would allow her to get the feel of casting. I bombed it out there to show her how to do it. It was 40 degrees outside in January and we were on a dock in 3fow that is on a giant 3fow weed flat. I was demonstrating to her how to reel slack and lift the rod when my dumbass lure got stuck in the weeds, so I popped the rod tip to shake the weeds off.. And I felt a little tiny tick on the line so I set the hook. Easily the longest bass I've ever caught or seen, and I suspect this fish would have gone 10+ lbs if I had caught her a few months later.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I caught a sucker in the mouth while trolling a crankbait a few years ago. I've also caught several hornpout on lizards and chatterbaits.
    By far the weirdest catch I've ever had was a 3-ish pound sucker on Newfound Lake that friggen smoked my 5" Keitech I was burning back to the boat. THAT was weird...

16. Moderator
    Caught a casper the ghost toyon an a-rig one day

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Now This is Some Good Reading Sure hope the stories continue for a few more pages there has to be a lot more good ones out there just waiting to be told

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    While muskie fishing I caught a 3'x5' piece of barn roofing tin. That thing zigged and zagged and kick my ass for a while.
    That must have made for a roller coaster of emotions at first

19. Member
    A duck. I made a long cast into the wind with a top water bait and the line hung up in the air and the duck flew into it and the line got wrapped around its wing. Actually got it free and it flew away.

I have caught numerous musky that hit smaller fish that I hooked. I landed a 42" musky years ago that hit a rock bass. Musky hung on the entire time. My jig was in the rock bass mouth the entire time.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

20. Member
    A Cormorant on a jig, he came in the boat and we were trying to whack his head/neck with a dip net. Finally the jig came out of is mouth in the struggle and we managed to get him out of the boat.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast