2001 mercury 200 issue

hey guys i have a mercury 200L (carb) outboard. a few days ago i got stuck on a sandbar or something stupid. to get off i had to trim motor up and floot it one good time. ever since ive had this issue.

when taking off its fine. after about 3000 rpms, it begins spitting and sputtering. as if it was running out of fuel. does OK at WOT but can still feel something amiss.
    does it worse when warm it seems.

does not overheat. water pressure guage reads normal and it pees strong

what ive tried:
    pulled carbs off and cleaned them and checked everything. checked for loose jets and float seats. carbs were spotless. checked reeds. they are still intact. pumped some gas from the line off carb into a clear bottle. no sign of water in fuel. turned motor over with line iff. pumps strong. all plugs look evenly burned and not washed out. compression checked good.
    if i press primer while its falling if its face, it gets worse.

any ideas?

2. Member
    Following...
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

3. Member
    need to determine whether its fuel or spark problem, check fuel supply from tank to filter
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Everything from the fuel supply looks to be fine. Primes and stays hard no leaks. Took all bowl screws out are carbs are filling completely. Plugs are a month old all ae evenly burned.

5. Member
    Im coming to think this is a spark issue. The fuel system is spotless. I work on small engines for a living and have checked everything with fuel and intake. Any ideas on ignition systems? What i could check? The Timing control module is a cdi brand part so it has been replaced.
    it charges good. I took flywheel off and took a look everything looks good visually no burnt coils. This thing is driving me nuts

6. Member
    for anyone with this issue, i ended up figuring out it was something with the neutral switch. if i unplugged neutral switch it would stop missing. i guess vibration is messing with it and it thinks its rapidly going into neutral and changing timing. i just left it unplugged it does fine.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Guessing you're referring to the Shift Position Switch (on the engine).

That would certainly do it...

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor