04 200 DI shutdown wouldnt re fire

04 200hp DI Evinrude
    Model # E200FPLSRB
    SER # 03041675

Engine is on an 04 Champ 188 elite. Was heading back up river yesterday and with most ramps closed around me this seldom used ramp is packed. Any how I was passing lots of boats headed down to the lake so I was throttled and trimmed down to not beat myself or my rig to death. Hit a giant wake and engine beeped once and shut down. There is a "diagnostic" light panel/gauge that has No oil, water temp, check engine and low oil warning lights. I turned key off went to restart all lights came on then went out as usual but then top 3 lit back up and motor would not crank. Got on the trolling motor heading back to ramp. Tried a few more times to fire up and same lights and nothing. 30 mins later tried again and she fired right up ran perfect the last few miles to the ramp and onto the trailer.

Im looking for ideas as to what/why this happened. Motor is pumping water fine and oil tank has plenty. Could the bouncing through all those wakes have caused something to kill the engine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Member
    Ignition switch or kill switch connections
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Brand new ignition/kill switch last month and I did check that also. Everything in order there.
    Thank you for the suggestion though.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check the connections on the EMM. It does sound like a handful of 8's though. You'll need EVdiags to check the faults. Check all motor and battery grounds.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Check the connections on the EMM. It does sound like a handful of 8's though. You'll need EVdiags to check the faults. Check all motor and battery grounds.
    Good place to start with connections.
    Handfull of 8's ? = crazy?
    Thanks

6. Member
    your indicator lights all light up at same time instead of counting down when started looks like a lot of 8's on telltale I believe?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    your indicator lights all light up at same time instead of counting down when started looks like a lot of 8's on telltale I believe?
    No they countdown as usual then the top 3 lit back up afterwards

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Striperaddict View Post
    No they countdown as usual then the top 3 lit back up afterwards
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    Ok I went a month with no issues but the issue has come again. Motor did not shut down though.

I had a 10 mile run back to the ramp. Parked on the dock went up to get trailer and when I went to fire up the top 3 lights on the diagnostic lit up and motor would not crank. No lights or beeps when running up river or idling in harbor. I always check that the water is coming from "pee" hole everytime I stop at a fishing spot and before taking off to the next.
    I turned key on when I got home and the lights did not stay on and gave it a bump and starter engaged.

Seems to me maybe its a temp issue but never have a warning light or horn. Everytime its happened was after a long run.
    I just got a service manual and it does not dedcribe what all 3 lights at same time mean.
    Also a couple guys mentioned above a "handful of 8's" what does that mean?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

A handful of 8's means that if you hooked up the diagnostic software you would read codes 81 thru 86 which is an indication that the EMM is failing. In your case it is most likely a loose connection or a cold solder joint in the EMM. Time to get the EMM repaired!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    A handful of 8's means that if you hooked up the diagnostic software you would read codes 81 thru 86 which is an indication that the EMM is failing. In your case it is most likely a loose connection or a cold solder joint in the EMM. Time to get the EMM repaired!
    Ahhh
    Thanks for that explanation.
    And damn!
    Haha

12. Member
    Well Im gonna ship the EMM off to DFI this weekend.
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand
    Wish me luck!