Spring Lake Pool 13

Does anyone have a map of safe boat lanes through spring lake? I have been in there during high water without a problem, but where can you safely run at summer pool? Have spent most of my time in 14, so don’t have a lot of experience on 13.

Don't know of any Spring Lake maps. At normal pool most just throttle down, get on plane and stay there until they approach their destination. If you look at your depth finder you won't be happy. You're going to see a small number. To get back on plane when you are ready to move... you may have to idle a bit to get over 2.5' ... there are some deeper zones but experience is the teacher. You are unlikely to hit anything with your skeg or prop ... if you keep the trim up you shouldn't ground it. Avoid running thru huge weed beds if you can so that you don't wrap weeds in your prop or block your water intake .... other than these things its a great back water this time of the year ... and you may have a little more water under you. Be smart and be safe. There are obvious islands that are good targets to fish ... and on the west side of Spring a few large stump fields - idle when you get unsure of what you have. I don't run west of the islands to your left that you can see when you enter Spring Lake. Wear your PFD and use your kill switch and good fishing!
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 04-21-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

3. Member
    For a good general idea there is Google Earth. Look at the archived pictures and you'll see the some boat lanes through the weeds year after year. Going on that west side is a gamble in really low stages. Many have been beached.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

Latest Data
    04/25/2020 08:00 Central
    Latest Stage 13.48 Ft.
    24 Hr. Change -0.47 Ft.
    Tomorrow's Forecast
    (Issued 04/24/2020 14:26)
    13.10 Ft.
    Last Year's Stage 18.90 Ft.
    Today's Historic Normal Stage 11.80 Ft.
    Today's Historic Max Stage 23.60 Ft.
    Today's Historic Min Stage 4.92 Ft.
    Latest Pool Level 14.33 Ft.
    24 Hr. Change -0.06 Ft.
    Last Year's Pool Level 19.41 Ft.
    Latest Flow 130,960 CFS

Trending lower - but rain is on the way ...

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

5. Member
    I've been fishing Spring Lake 4 times now. Levels really dropping for sure. We've caught fish every time!

We are talking now about early May making a run to Savanna. Not sure where we will be able to eat ... but enough is enough. I tried calling Savanna Marina but no one was home - no answer. But we would put in at Spring most likely anyway. We just put new brakes on the trailer and replaced 2 of the tires. Got a couple of side lights to change out too. I'm guessing that the gin mills will still be closed - are they open in Sabula?

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    I don't know for sure. We're running a tournament on Sunday at Big Slough. We went to online sign up and it's looking like a big turnout. Spring Lake campground says they will be open for launching your boat if you need a place.

8. Member
    How'd you weights go this weekend in your tx?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rips LEGEND View Post
    I don't know for sure. We're running a tournament on Sunday at Big Slough. We went to online sign up and it's looking like a big turnout. Spring Lake campground says they will be open for launching your boat if you need a place.
    I didn't think they were allowing any tournaments on the river? Illinois has said yes, but Iowa said no was my understanding.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    I didn't think they were allowing any tournaments on the river? Illinois has said yes, but Iowa said no was my understanding.
    We've had our permission canceled for Big Slough ramp. We've been preparing for using the campground ramp. We have a state permit that hasn't been canceled...yet. But I just heard a nasty rumor. We will get an email from the state if they're gonna cancel it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin77 View Post
    How'd you weights go this weekend in your tx?
    Tournament is May 3. All permits for April were canceled.

12. Member
    We've had our permission canceled for Big Slough ramp. We've been preparing for using the campground ramp. We have a state permit that hasn't been canceled...yet. But I just heard a nasty rumor. We will get an email from the state if they're gonna cancel it.
    Yeah last I heard Gils was closed per state of Illinois and Iowa wasn't allowing any tournaments. Seems silly since we launch from Illinois, but if participants are fishing Iowa water then it is required. Seems crazy that Illinois is the one OK with it and iowa is not. I figured that would be backwards for sure. Anglers choice was scheduled for May 9th and was forced to move it because of permits.

13. Member
    The nasty rumor was true! Permits for May were canceled. I'm not saying I'm happy about it but it's almost a relief not to have to mess with it.

14. Member
    The nasty rumor was true! Permits for May were canceled. I'm not saying I'm happy about it but it's almost a relief not to have to mess with it.
    all of May? I see anglers choice rescheduled may 9th, but we also have one for may 31st. Gonna be hard fitting all these makeups in before the end of the year.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    all of May? I see anglers choice rescheduled may 9th, but we also have one for may 31st. Gonna be hard fitting all these makeups in before the end of the year.
    I didn't see the whole cancelation notice. I don't know what time span for sure. I predicted from the start it would be July at least. I was beginning to think we were going to get this one in. It's been good fishing for this early in Spring Lake. I'm going Thursday if you want to jump in.

16. Member
    So the tournament for Sunday 5/3 is cancelled?
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrix19 View Post
    So the tournament for Sunday 5/3 is cancelled?
    Yes it is cancelled. We were working hard to keep everyone safe and separated. It was sounding like we were in good shape. 23 boats were already signed up. I'm getting some good practice for next year.

18. Member
    Man, that sucks! Can't wait for things to get back to normal!
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

19. Member
    All tournaments in IL have had their permits revoked,not matter the body of water. For future reference on the Mississippi River that borders IA, they are the governing body for the waterway. Technically you are supposed to pull a permit in IA as well, even if you call IA water off limits.
    Michael J. Koenig

20. Member
    I didn't see the whole cancelation notice. I don't know what time span for sure. I predicted from the start it would be July at least. I was beginning to think we were going to get this one in. It's been good fishing for this early in Spring Lake. I'm going Thursday if you want to jump in.
    Wish I could, but I work Mon-thurs. With everything going on I really thought I would get more fishing in, but its actually opposite. The wife gets pissed that I'm the only one who ever gets out of the house alone so she usually guilty me into going and doing family things instead of fishing all day. Lol