2 questions concerning Lithium Batteries

1) Have any of you guys that are running Lithium Batteries notice any changes in the way your Phoenix handles with Lithium's considering the rear end of the boat is much lighter ?

2) What causes Lithiums to catch on fire ?

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    its very noticeable, motor needs to run a little lower, and might require more trim, the boat will try to run flat and the handling is great.
    when the livewells are empty I no longer take off trimed down, but besides lithium im running a bailey foil so I take off at 1/4 trim and can take off at 1/2 trim if Im easy on it

Most lithium-ion battery fires and explosions come down to a problem of short circuiting. This happens when the plastic separator fails and lets the anode and cathode touch. And once those two get together, the battery starts to overheat.
    the LifePo4 Lithium batteries are very different from the older fire hazard technology, beside not being flammable the BMS protects the battery from any kind of short or overload.
    this is with most all of the Major brands designed for marine use
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Thank you for your great imput on the issue as all ways !

I now have 5 100ah lithium’s in my Phoenix. The handling is insanely different. I had 3 lithium’s and 2 agm last year. That was a major change and now this year it’s even more insane. I can get on plane with my motor at full trim and a full tank of gas. I tried it yesterday. Only issue is at about 15mph the prop blows out really bad and can’t get by that one spot. Then I have to trim down a touch to get the prop to bite again. So technically it’s not 100% getting on plane but it’s close. The boat is so light almost too light in the back. I went from 320lbs to 150lbs. At full speed my boat is too flat and I’m lacking bow lift. My plan is to get the bobs machine wedges to give me more lift hopefully. My ptp has changed by probably 1” for full speed operation as well. I’ve only had the 5 lithium setup for 2 days on the water so far but my boat explodes out of the hole compared to just last week running 3 lithium (90lbs) and 2 agm (140lbs). Just the 80lbs I lost in agm vs lithium made a huge change. My overall top end speed hasn’t changed I would say.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

5. Member
    Agree with the hole shot improvements. 3 50ah lithiums for TM with 1 80 pound AGM. Holeshot is way faster. Top End no noticeable difference. I feel like I need to increase my ptp a little bit, but my old Z-lock manual plate with power poles attached is a pain to move. My antique Phoenix (2012 model) is fast enough for me ).

My experience mirrors Haus's - its a huge change. I run a 4 blade which helps with the bow lift.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

7. Member
    Running just 3 of the 12V 50ah batteries for my trolling motor
    1) faster holeshot, boat just feels quicker
    2) Hope I never have any experience with a battery fire

got my batteries from Drewtick

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    My changeover is will be soon. Thanks for the input guys. I love finding the best possible setup for speed. Will be hard to beat what I currently run with 5 AGMs, but it just seems logical that I should go faster with a few hundred lbs less.

9. Member
    My biggest reason for wanting to go with Lithiums is because I have a fear that my battery trays are going to come loose one day in rough water. I run RMC aluminum battery trays with the ratchet strap and I have them lag bolted down. The lead batteries weigh so much I feel that in extreme conditions they could still come loose and ruin my day,week,year.