Procraft Mariner 40 planing issues

I recently purchased a 1990 stalker 150 with a Mariner 40. I paid $1500 for the boat and feel it was a pretty good deal it needs bits and pieces I’ve been taking care of but I launched the boat the other day for the first time with a friend we made a few runs up and down rainbow reservoir in Windsor ct not far from my hometown. The boat performed flawlessly and planed out fairly quickly with a decent hole shot. We idled around for a few and I noticed the transom was getting lower in the water. I went to make my way towards shore and the boat would not plane out. I ended up opening the live well hatches and they were both full ( I didn’t plug them before going out) I assumed at first that there was a fuel issue as I didn’t clean the tank or carbs and the boat had sat for a few years but to the contrary there was no break up or misfire just seemed the boat didn’t have enough to get on pad. Anyways I pulled tank which wasn’t horrible but nonetheless got cleaned inside and out as well as pickup tube screen After pulling the tank I pulled carbs.... they were immaculate not even a hint of varnish ANYWHERE nothing I was surprised replaced fuel filter and fuel lines. Fired boat up runs good. So my question is is it possible that the boat just didn’t have the power to get on pad with the full live wells approx (200lbs) myself (300lbs) my friend (140lbs) and 6 gallons of fuel? The boat fired up immediately and has good compression 125-130 across cylinders. A friend thinks I’m crazy to think it doesn’t have the power to get on pad but I really feel that was the issue.i should add there was no water in the bilge and not much gear on the boat I my passenger drive while I was kneeling in front the casting deck and the boat did start to want to plane but it just didn’t have enough Thanks sorry for the long winded post

2. Member
    What is the max hp rating? It sounds underpowered..

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    What is the max hp rating? It sounds underpowered..
    The max is 75hp I had seen a member on here with the same boat and what looks to be a merc 40 I wanted to ask him but I don’t think he’s been active for years.

4. Member
    I’m going with underpowered. That’s barely over half of the max hp.. you could prop down a size or two and definitely a 4 blade prop , but you wouldn’t have much speed, but I’m assuming you’re not worried about speed..

5. Member
    I’m going with underpowered. That’s barely over half of the max hp.. you could prop down a size or two and definitely a 4 blade prop , but you wouldn’t have much speed, but I’m assuming you’re not worried about speed..
    Yeah I am thinking that is the case at least with two full wells the boat has a 14 pitch prop on it right now. I guess I was hoping it would at least get out of its own way with a load in it. I will do some experiments to see if I can get away with one full.

6. Member
    You may try a 4 blade if available in a pitch that low.. I haven’t a clue.. another thing I would recommend is putting as much of your weight as far forward as you can. It will help the bow break over but it will hinder lift.. your not going to get much lift anyhow so I don’t feel it would hurt. I’ve ran a few big wheels for speed in the past that with full wells and a load I would have my partner sit on the front deck until it broke over( I’m shallow water when I was worried ). Good luck on trying to get it . Weight and prop is all I’ve got..

7. Member
    You may try a 4 blade if available in a pitch that low.. I haven’t a clue.. another thing I would recommend is putting as much of your weight as far forward as you can. It will help the bow break over but it will hinder lift.. your not going to get much lift anyhow so I don’t feel it would hurt. I’ve ran a few big wheels for speed in the past that with full wells and a load I would have my partner sit on the front deck until it broke over( I’m shallow water when I was worried ). Good luck on trying to get it . Weight and prop is all I’ve got..
    thanks for the feedback and suggestions I’ve got some small things to take care of but I’ll have it on the water soon to try again

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1weldandfab View Post
    thanks for the feedback and suggestions I’ve got some small things to take care of but I’ll have it on the water soon to try again
    You bet sir, slip some drag when you get her out again

9. Member
    That’s what I’m shooting for lol caught a few decent smallies yesterday on the ct river off the bank 2lb10&2lb12 tight lines!!!