Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ghost stabilizer

Trying to figure out if I’m going to install stabilizer or not, it would hit on gunnel with the why the front of my boat is made, I’ve got some rubber mat that I could put on the gunnel for protection, what do y’all think?

B63BF157-BA4A-4F14-A710-DE6B72FC4EBB.jpegB2CB7CB5-B158-4D3A-BA14-3F316DCF8306.jpeg
    GO DAWGS

2. Banned
    I wouldn’t, I’d remount it to sit on the deck. The head is going to be way out there like you currently have that sitting.

I know it looks like that but it’s way up the shaft because it was hitting my trailer during install and I haven’t lowered it yet. The way the front is that’s the only way it will mount, my Minn Kota was like that too.

821C7668-D380-416F-80CF-4CACCB1A976C.jpeg
    GO DAWGS

4. Banned
    Dang that’s a skinny bow, what brand of boat is that? You def don’t much of an option to turn it.

I’d be scared of breaking the fiberglass over time with the ghost banging down onto the gunnel. My previous Skeeter’s TM sat on the gunnel, but it was a lot lighter than what the ghost is. When my ghost drops, it drops hard.

It’s a Bee Line(Phoenix’s first line) old Bumble Bee hull. That’s the only real knock on the boat is how narrow the deck is up front, I’ve got limited space up there.
    GO DAWGS

6. Member
    I would not run without the stabilizer.

I had the same issue when i bought my new Fortrex with my Champion 202... didn't want to drill more holes and patch up the old 1s... so i used the original holes and made a small "kickout" aluminum plate about 3inches long and drilled a few holes in it and mounted the stabilizer bar to it... now my bar is a full inch to 1.5" inside the gunnel

Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    I had the same issue when i bought my new Fortrex with my Champion 202... didn't want to drill more holes and patch up the old 1s... so i used the original holes and made a small "kickout" aluminum plate about 3inches long and drilled a few holes in it and mounted the stabilizer bar to it... now my bar is a full inch to 1.5" inside the gunnel
    I’m thinking I’m going to try something like that.
    GO DAWGS

It looks to me like you can move your electronics over enough to avoid all this. Maybe need to make a plate as mentioned to support it at the inner holes.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Bigshooter51
    Well I had the same problem when I installed the ghost on my 203 Champion Elite the head of the motor was cantilevered way beyond the gunnel of my boat. So here is what I did to get it lined back up so the head of the ghost trolling motor was flush to the edge of the outside of the gunnel of the bow. I cut a 1/4 aluminum plate to the custom size I wanted and drilled new holes in the aluminum plate that matched the original holes that were drilled to mount my Motor guide Tour Edition motor in the fiberglass . I then repositioned the ghost to the new location on top of the plate and drilled and tapped 1/4 twenty holes only in the aluminum plate that matched the Minn Kota hole pattern on the Ghost .I then put 1/4 twenty stainless steel flat head machine screws threaded into the plate with lock tight in from the bottom of the aluminum plate . I then used stainless steel nylon lock nuts to bolt down the ghost to the pate with the 1/4 twenty stainless steel machine screws that were mounted from the bottom of the plate. Now as far as the stabilizer leg seating on the fiberglass top cap of your boat it will be better up there than seating on the deck of your boat . Here is why the first trip I fished my boat with my partner he stowed the ghost and the stabilizer rod crushed the but end of my G Loomis NRX rod because he didn't pay attention where the stabilizer rod seated on the deck. On another note I used a Motor Guide Power Gator mount on my Champion boat and the stabilizer rod seated on the top of my fiberglass gunnel which the electric motor seated the stabilizer rod every time for 20 years and there is no problem with the fiberglass on my boat what so ever. The stabilizer rod had a 1 inch pipe with a crutch tip on that was changed as it wore out. When my ghost is out of warranty I will customize it to seat back on top of the gunnel like the Motor Guide was before .No more worries about crushing expensive rods

GO DAWGS

12. Bigshooter51
    Good job this is way better than having the stabilizer seating on the deck of your boat for sure. I ended up installing a 1-1/4" copper pipe cap on my deck so the stabilizer seats in the socket and you cant crush any rods .

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Jones View Post
    Good job this is way better than having the stabilizer seating on the deck of your boat for sure. I ended up installing a 1-1/4" copper pipe cap on my deck so the stabilizer seats in the socket and you cant crush any rods .
    How’d you attach that? Just drill a hole and screw it to the deck?

14. Bigshooter51
    Yes sir I painted it grey drilled and countersunk a small hole in the center of the copper cap and screwed it down to the deck with a 3/4inch number eight stainless steel screw. You know they have the metal disc that you screw down to the deck so your deck doesn't get damaged. The only thing is a rod can still be on the metal disc and you can crush a rod while stowing the motor. With the cooper pipe end cap the sides are tall enough so a rod will not be able to be positioned where the stabilizer seats in the copper end cap works great .

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Jones View Post
    Yes sir I painted it grey drilled and countersunk a small hole in the center of the copper cap and screwed it down to the deck with a 3/4inch number eight stainless steel screw. You know they have the metal disc that you screw down to the deck so your deck doesn't get damaged. The only thing is a rod can still be on the metal disc and you can crush a rod while stowing the motor. With the cooper pipe end cap the sides are tall enough so a rod will not be able to be positioned where the stabilizer seats in the copper end cap works great .
    That’s awesome I’m going to do the same thing, I almost crushed a rod last weekend and was thinking on how I was going to rig it. Thank you for the info

16. Member
    20200529_175625.jpg

Black part is Starboard used to raise the lock assembly above the deck, and machined at the same angle of the ghost stabilizer rod. Rock solid, no movement what so ever!
    Last edited by Savage; 05-31-2020 at 09:39 AM.

17. Member
    I am going to take mine to an electrician today to see if he can put an 1 1/2" offset in mine.

18. Member
    Looks good, I instantly though about a piece of seadeck
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    20200529_175625.jpg

Black part is Starboard used to raise the lock assembly above the deck, and machined at the same angle of the ghost stabilizer rod. Rock solid, no movement what so ever!
    Looks good - I may do something similar if I switch to the Tamer.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    If you do NOT use the stabilizer it WILL VOID any WARRANTY claims on the Mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast