Thread: Gasoline

Gasoline

Does anyone know the current tax on a gallon of gasoline in PA? I'm curious about the price where the government gets more than the supply chain.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Doing a quick search I found this..."Every gallon of gas in Pennsylvania includes 77 cents of tax. Nearly 59 cents of that is state tax. The money from the gas tax goes for repairs on roads and bridges across the state." I think that was dated in 2019.
    I do recall news reports saying that we pay the highest amount of tax on gasoline in the country. Not sure if that still holds true or not.

3. Member
    Thanks. I should have searched myself. I am a bit surprised that the federal tax isn’t higher.

BTW - California has now topped us at the state level.

4. Member
    Well i,m not sure how much tax I paid today. Gas was 3.9 cents gallon. I bought 30 gallons for $1.17. You have to love Giant Eagle.

5. Member
    When you use gas perks Giant Eagle pays the tax for you.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrybusy View Post
    Doing a quick search I found this..."Every gallon of gas in Pennsylvania includes 77 cents of tax. Nearly 59 cents of that is state tax. The money from the gas tax goes for repairs on roads and bridges across the state." I think that was dated in 2019.
    I do recall news reports saying that we pay the highest amount of tax on gasoline in the country. Not sure if that still holds true or not.
    This was the original intent but it actually goes to fund the state police.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    $4.2 Billion since 2012 has flowed to the State Police. They say it is to cover for extra patrols to townships and communities that have disbanded their policy force. Funny call for the state police and they come the next day. No I'm not picking on the Troopers. They are mostly ok in my book. So this is how it works. A community no longer wants to fund a local police force so they disband it. Then the state police now cover that community. The bigger questions is where does the saved tax dollars go? Do property owners get a reduced tax rate? Certainly if the community had to pay the state the total cost would be more than enough to pay for the once a day patrol through the community. Now what tax will they have to raise to cover the lost dollars to PennDot to fix little things like roads and bridges. Ok done with my rant.

8. Member
    Originally meant for the roadways.....looks like it never made it there! At least as of a report dated April 2019. https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/40...es-as-intended