95 Hydrasports 185E

I have a recently new to me Hydrasports 185E with a 175 Johnson faststrike. Over the boat is great. Idles good on the water, planes out fine and overall runs great. The problem is I am only getting 49 to 50 mph at WOT. Rpms are roughly 4800 to 4900. I checked the prop and it has a 25 pitch Renegade. Is this the right size? I do not have a jack plate by the way. And the motor/pad distance is 2 1/2 below pad.

2. Member
    Not apples to apples but I have a 96 175FS with a 150. I am running about the same mph with a 13.5x23 Renegade. I do have what I think may be a 4" jack plate.

3. Member
    So I may need to change the prop

4. Member
    I just got a new raker prop. Haven't tried it yet though. Does anyone know what jackplate would be best to use?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy2542 View Post
    I just got a new raker prop. Haven't tried it yet though. Does anyone know what jackplate would be best to use?
    try what you have without changing ANYTHING else first,Establish a base line,,,Change one thing at a time

6. Member
    Thanks swamprat. I tried it this morning and it does run better. I am running about 56 to 57 by gps.

7. Member
    All you have left now is to get a jackplate,BUT you probally are not going to get much more out of it,You are at the point now where every MPH more is going to cost $1000,Removing the trolling motor from the mount will give you a couple,removing the batteries will give you some,Enjoy your boat have fun

8. Member
    Will a jackplate help with control?
    What brand jackplate?
    And thank a lot

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy2542 View Post
    Will a jackplate help with control?
    What brand jackplate?
    And thank a lot
    Minimal probally you just need seat time.That said I am running the Bobs plate that came on mine new,91DVTSX,18ft.w/175GT

10. Member
    I have a 1994 hydrasports ls180 with a 175 intruder. just ran into the same issue and discovered I had one cylinder not getting spark. replaced a coil and all spark plugs and now am running 67mph with high rpms. I am currently running a 24 pitch raker "like new" and need to go up in prop to get my rpm in that 5500 range. Hope this helps.
    notes* I do have 4 inch jack plate. Prop to pad is 3.5" and if I go over half throttle on holeshot the prop trys to blow out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod771995 View Post
    I have a 1994 hydrasports ls180 with a 175 intruder. just ran into the same issue and discovered I had one cylinder not getting spark. replaced a coil and all spark plugs and now am running 67mph with high rpms. I am currently running a 24 pitch raker "like new" and need to go up in prop to get my rpm in that 5500 range. Hope this helps.
    notes* I do have 4 inch jack plate. Prop to pad is 3.5" and if I go over half throttle on holeshot the prop trys to blow out.
    You need a 26 Raker or a 25 Renegade
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

12. Member
    Check out my post over in the "Boat Setups" forum. I just bought a 185DC that had a cheap stainless prop. Boat wouldnt go over 55 with a tailwind and acted weird at all trim angles.

I am learning, as well, about setting up my boat properly, one day at a time. The guys at Steve's prop shop talked me into a 24 Tempest. All I can say is that it turned my boat into a different animal. We took it out Tuesday and made two short runs. Hit 64 easily with 2 people and fishing gear without any adjustments. Water was too rough for me to push it harder.

I don't know enough to point you in the right direction, but with the help of the guys on BBC Im headed in the right direction. These guys know what they're talking about.

13. Member
    I had a ten inch plate on my LS175, went to a 6 and lost dang near 10 mph on the speedo (which ain't accurate). One time I took the plate off and ran the boat without the plate or the hot foot. I decided real quick that I liked the boat way better with a hot foot and a jack plate. It's hard to explain but I guess the simple thing is the front of boat was way more bouncy or affected by waves without a plate. I didn't like it at all.
    As as your current situation, you say your boat planes off good, if it has good water pressure (I think it's 15 or above), raise the motor. You said 2.5" below pad but I can't remember how that correlates to the holes on the mount. Raise the motor one hole at a time then go try it out. The higher you go, the more rpms you'll get, the more rpms you get usually means more speed.