Thread: Monroe Crappie

Monroe Crappie

Monroe has a zillion crappie 5-8 inches long. Seems like it is the same every year. How you guys catch those biggins?

My buddy guides for crappie on Monroe, he has planted brush in deep water. Says you gotta go deep.

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    My buddy guides for crappie on Monroe, he has planted brush in deep water. Says you gotta go deep.
    Thanks. We caught tiny crappie from 2 to 25 foot lol. I will keep searching

4. Member
    You speaking of Tom from Nobilsville? If so he knows his stuff. Cool guy and tuff to beat in a tourney.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 04-21-2020 at 01:08 PM.

5. Member
    Go to crappie.com then Indiana forum. You can pm a guy that made a recent posting on Monroe and he caught some up to 2 lbs fishing above the causeway. He is an occassional poster that fishes Monroe and is constantly posting picks of his catches.

Sounds good guys

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    You speaking of Tom from Nobilsville? If so he knows his stuff. Cool guy and tuff to beat in a tourney.
    His name is Tom, but hes from Bedford.

8. Member
    His name is Tom, but hes from Bedford.
    No, but I know of Tom and see him on Monroe constantly. Here is a couple of guys that have been hitting Monroe, catching up to 2 lb crappies when it’s flooded. However, one recent posting is the water is now out of the trees and crappie going back to deeper water as the lake drops. https://www.crappie.com/crappie/indiana/?

I took a limit yesterday on Lemon trolling crankbaits all 10” to 14” with about 50-60 released In 4 hrs In 10’ to 14’ of water running the cranks a foot or two off the bottom at speeds of 1.2 to 1.6 And fish were scattered. Water temp started out at 52 degrees and by noon was 56. The zoo picks up at noonish and caddy shack is on big time by 1 pm so I get off the lake at noon.

Caught some small ones on Boggs yesterday. Caught a tagged one. Sent the tag to the DNR. Read that they are doing the survey to see how fast they are caught and if they need a size limit. Looks like it grew an inch or inch and a half since Jan. Biggest one i caught was 10 1/2". They are pretty and healthy. So are the bass. Small head and big bodies. Looks like the amish are in full collection mode tho.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Looks like the amish are in full collection mode tho.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Caught some small ones on Boggs yesterday. Caught a tagged one. Sent the tag to the DNR. Read that they are doing the survey to see how fast they are caught and if they need a size limit. Looks like it grew an inch or inch and a half since Jan. Biggest one i caught was 10 1/2". They are pretty and healthy. So are the bass. Small head and big bodies. Looks like the amish are in full collection mode tho.
    Do they not have to follow the same rules we do??

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    I dont think you can blame just the amish at boggs. I went there a couple weeks ago and i was the only boat around me releasing bass every one i saw would measure and put them in the livewell
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

I saw people taking crappie but not bass. The reason I said something about amish is that they come in big parties. If you keep numbers per person they could really load up. They put multiple coolers in the boats. Just an observation

14. Member
    I live 15 miles as the crow flys from West Boggs and quit fishing it. One. Pollution is thick so I don’t eat the fish and they know they have problems, but haven’t figured any way to solve the issues. Two,,,,,how many damned boats can you stick on a 625 acre lake that only has about 500 acres of it fishable? 3..No enforcement of the campers as they are cleaning 2-3 limits a day and the amish keeps anything and everything as no such word in their vocabulary as too small. Instead of USA 20 boat bass tourney, they need to count daily and give a prize for the last boat in the lake or how many they can cram into the parking lot especially on weekends. It’s all about money,,they gross over a million per year now from the park and lake fees.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    I live 15 miles as the crow flys from West Boggs and quit fishing it. ……. It’s all about money,,they gross over a million per year now from the park and lake fees.
    I don't know which side of the fence most of their income comes from.. the fishing or tube/ski crowd..?? But they will lose the fishing crowd real quick if they mismanage the resource. Right now they are riding on a wave from a drain and restocking effort where these fish are becoming legal size now. The tube/ski crowd make it impossible to fish on weekends in the summer.

16. Member
    Crappie size is now getting smaller, gills mid May are huge in size but less as pressure is taking its toll, Bass amounts are decreasing but still 20 lb weigh in’s but time will decrease them. Reason DNR did 2 creel surveys is to see what size limit if any, they want to put in crappie. By the time they decide, it will be too late for a size limit to have any effect. Need to have it now. Trouble is, by June, the pollution is so thick, fish are contaminated as they are now. Several locals I know,,,,just won’t eat them including a couple of DNR guys that have caught the gills after cleaning them. It’s a shame.

17. Member
    1.5 inches of rain yesterday,,all creeks and streams here muddy. More rain tomorrow,,,Monroe will muddy up heavy again.

IMG_20200507_143826_459.jpg
    Found some finally. Bass fishing and caught a 12 incher on a spinnerbait. So I tossed a jig and boom. Shallow stumps on edge of creek channel. Biggest was 2.05

19. Member
    There ya go..Nice!

Nice ones