Current laws transferring out of state USED boat in to Louisiana

I know it's been addressed a 100 times but, where can i go to get accurate current information transferring a used boat from out of state in to Louisiana. Leave it to Louisiana to make things difficult and I dang sure I don't want to give them more than neccessary. Will post on La board too.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I got mine from Oklahoma and found it pretty easy to transfer everything.....got the paper work from LDWF (office by Buhlow), filled paper work out at the tax office (by the coliseum) and DMV for the trailer tags.....went pretty smooth.....just make sure everything is signed/notarized....

I'm sure its tough right now being offices are closed and such with this virus thing going one....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Banned
    Make sure Trailer has a Title.Bought mine in Kansas years ago,they do not require trailers to be tagged or titled under 2500 lbs.Well it caused me some problems.Had to get Police To inspect trailer because my vin numbers had faded.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I got mine from Oklahoma and found it pretty easy to transfer everything.....got the paper work from LDWF (office by Buhlow), filled paper work out at the tax office (by the coliseum) and DMV for the trailer tags.....went pretty smooth.....just make sure everything is signed/notarized....

I'm sure its tough right now being offices are closed and such with this virus thing going one....
    How where the taxes paid? DMV or LDFW, evidently things are not as they used to be. Clearly don't want to pay any more than I have to.

5. Member
    Wildlife and fisheries to have the boat registered. Parish to pay local sales tax. In Lafourche, the school board collects taxes. DMV to pay state sales tax on trailer and pay for plate. DMV might collect parish tax and send it to them. And instead of DMV, go to a private tag agency.

6. Member
    Bought a used boat in Texas. Went to the Bossier Parish tax office to pay taxes on boat and motor. DMV to pay taxes and register the trailer. Before all this, I made sure I had a bill of sale for each beforehand. Texas does not title trailers under a specified weight and a 20' tandem for a bass boat falls into this category. Make sure you get a copy of the last trailer license registration from the seller as you will need this at the DMV. Paid the taxes local, but still had to pay LDWF taxes in Baton Rouge. A lot of paperwork so make sure you get everything you can on the boat/trailer before you cut the deal.

7. Member
    Unless something changed in the last couple of years you should not have any tax due on a used boat and motor. You will have to get a form signed, its on the web site, stating you owe no tax. This is signed and stamped at the local parish tax collector. You will have tax due on the trailer and it is paid at DMV.

8. Member
    thanks to all

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Unless something changed in the last couple of years you should not have any tax due on a used boat and motor. You will have to get a form signed, its on the web site, stating you owe no tax. This is signed and stamped at the local parish tax collector. You will have tax due on the trailer and it is paid at DMV.
    Yep or at least it was like that 4 yrs ago when i got my used boat from OK......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    The way it was explained to me by the school board tax office, if LA boat sales tax is higher than other state, difference in taxes is due. If LA boat sales tax is less than other state, no tax is due. Trailer tax is handled by dmv, and is taxed by the amount on the bill of sale and title. Texas has/had lower tax rates when I bought a boat from Texas 4 years ago.

11. Member
    There is a difference with new boats and used from a dealer vs a used boat from an individual.