Question Buying Boat in Georgia?

Hey everyone, I’m in Virginia and looking at a boat for sale in Georgia, private sale not a dealer. I’ve never made any out of state purchase like this other than one car but that was through a dealer.

What is the process in Ga when making a private purchase of a boat? What about sales tax? I read something about “casual” sales and sales tax may not apply, or if delivery took place outside of the state tax wasn’t applicable.

baiscally just want to know the run down on how the process it would be and what if any “extra” I should budget for as far as taxes or anything else may go on top of negotiated sales price.

thanks for the help!
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

Georgia is not a title state for boats and motors. But Trailers do carry a title for DMV registration.

I see Virginia is a title state, you may have to jump through hoops with your seller to get all the needed docs if you are buying from a 'second' or higher owner. If you are buying from an original owner then they, more than likely, will have the necessary Manufacturer's Statement's of Origin (Title) on the boat and motor to get a your state title(s). There is no sales tax. You would pay any tax in your state/county you register your boat.

Go to the link below then scroll down to the section:
    Selling/Buying a Used Boat: What Documents Do I Give the Buyer/Receive from the Seller?

This will list helpful documents, BoS, etc.
    https://georgiawildlife.com/boating/registration#fees

Here is a link to GA BoS. You probably should check what Virginia requires,
    https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/de...ll-of-Sale.pdf
    Last edited by Booster; 04-17-2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: more info
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

3. Member
    As already stated, GA is not a title state.

In SC I need a Title for the boat and the motor (one of the few states that titles motors) .... and we care less about trailer titles. LOL

Years ago I bought a boat from a guy in Jo-Ja ..... mainly b/c I live on the state line and he was only 45mins away. I basically had him whip up a Bill of Sale for all 3 things (boat, motor, trailer making sure to list the serial numbers for each and we priced each piece individually to make it total the agreed price) and then we both signed it.

SC was GTG with it. All I had to do was submit that Bill of Sale, mention to them that's all I had b/c GA doesn't title, pay my SC registration fees and taxes and a few pictures of the serial number tags ..... and then stick new numbers and registration decal on the boat.

I would just make sure that I'm dealing with an individual that is willing to work with me in case I needed more info a week, or month, later to make my State happy. A stand-up seller will.

Good Luck!
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Meet at a local sheriff’s station and have a deputy run the trailer VIN. They are used to doing this as we have to do it when registering an out of state boat. It takes about 15 mins and is free. With the latest restrictions, I would make an appointment with the department.

If the sellers baulks, run away. Because it might be this...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=Stolen

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s