First Time Stock Investor

I created a TDameritrade account this evening and plan on buying into a few stocks if I catch them at the price I have in mind. Stimulus check or not I had planned on buying in with 1-2k as a first time investor, but that makes it even sweeter. I have a few stocks in mind and would love to get the BBC expert opinions. I take all criticism as I'm an engineer, not a day trader.

This is not my retirement account and strictly treating it as play money. I am taking the risk of losing it, but I am hoping to come out ahead sometime down the road.

Stocks I'm following:
    OKE
    HON
    SYY
    PLNT
    CCL
    Last edited by King31; 04-17-2020 at 12:18 AM.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    During a recession/pandemic is probably one of the best times to open an account and start buying. Not sure you can go wrong with any stock as long as you can stomach the drops and add when they do.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    ^Agreed. Hiding your balance is a good idea to do sometimes when you first get started. I still do it most of the time. It's easier to be focused on making good trades instead of seeing your account drop a ton and doing something dumb, at least in my case.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    ^Agreed. Hiding your balance is a good idea to do sometimes when you first get started. I still do it most of the time. It's easier to be focused on making good trades instead of seeing your account drop a ton and doing something dumb, at least in my case.
    thanks for the advice. Looking like a good day at the moment.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    thanks for the advice. Looking like a good day at the moment.
    Yep, good day for sure. There was some nice running right into close too which was a lot of fun.