Renegade 19 Trolling Motor Replacement

I recently purchased a 2001 Javelin Renegade 19 and I need to replace the trolling motor. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to get to the nuts on the underside of the deck. There is a rubber mat near the bow and I was wondering if there was an access panel underneath it?

Thanks in Advance!
    Rob

2. Member
    on my stratos there is a spongey, rubber trim ring around the front dash that needs removed to access the TM nuts under the deck. might need to remove the graph and control panels to find a hole big enough for your arm to reach the nuts??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

No access under that rubber pad. You can remove the panel that has the trim and running light rocker switch and gain a little access. This is also the same panel where you plug in your trolling motor. It's been SEVERAL years since I swapped out trolling motors so I might not recall all the exact details but If my memory is correct removing the panel I talked about gives access to most if not all of the bolts.

On my 1999 JR19 when I removed my factory OMC trolling motor and installed a Motor Guide Tour 82 I removed that panel and it helped but I still had some issues when I went to install my new trolling motor if my memory is correct. The factory holes from my OMC lined up with part of the holes on my MG but my MG mount had more holes so I had to drill a couple more holes into the top cap of the boat. I am thinking I had to add 4 holes but it may have only been 2. I am also thinking the holes I added were the ones that were hard to install the new hardware. Seems like I recall one bolt that I could not reach and one bolt that I could reach but I had to tape my wrench to a pvc pipe and stick one arm through the rod locker while using my other arm to stick through the side panel to place the head of the wrench on the nut. Then having my wife tighten the bolt as I hold the wrench in place. The other hole I drilled and installed a bolt into I could not reach if my memory is correct...laugh if you want but at the time I had a 6 year old nephew who was tiny as a rat and not scared of anything. Not being able to reach one of the bolts I added I gave him a wrench and flashlight and he crawled into my rod locker and held the wrench on the bottom nut while I torqued from the top side. As I said this was many years ago and I think this is how I recall doing it.

Another FYI my nephew who is afraid of nothing showed me something that day. He entered the passenger rod box but exit through the drivers rod box. Come to find out the end of both rod lockers as well as the area in front of the front storage compartment is just a open area. He was such a tiny fart and not scared of anything so he decided to crawl through the space. I had kind of suspected the area was open because I know you can fit a 7'6" rod in my passenger rod locker and still have plenty of length left. It's open in the front all the way to the nose...If you removing the side panel does not work and you don't have gorilla length arms find a tiny person to crawl into the locker ...
    Last edited by JR19; 04-15-2020 at 01:19 AM.

4. Member
    Another FYI my nephew who is afraid of nothing showed me something that day. He entered the passenger rod box but exit through the drivers rod box. Come to find out the end of both rod lockers as well as the area in front of the front storage compartment is just a open area. He was such a tiny fart and not scared of anything so he decided to crawl through the space. I had kind of suspected the area was open because I know you can fit a 7'6" rod in my passenger rod locker and still have plenty of length left. It's open in the front all the way to the nose...If you removing the side panel does not work and you don't have gorilla length arms find a tiny person to crawl into the locker ... [/QUOTE]

older stratos and javelins have no rod boxes. the "walls" are made from folded carpet and glues to the hull and inside center boxes only pretty lame but love my boat otherwise
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

On my R20 there is an access plate underneath the rubber mat. The rubber mat is just glued down and can be peeled up. I bet my bottom dollar you have a round plastic plate held down with 4 screws underneath that rubber mat. In fact if you push down and feel around on the mat you will feel the circle, it's about 6'' in dia.
    If I'm right, JR owes me a 12 pack, if I'm wrong I owe JR a 12 pack.
    Let me know.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    On my R20 there is an access plate underneath the rubber mat. The rubber mat is just glued down and can be peeled up. I bet my bottom dollar you have a round plastic plate held down with 4 screws underneath that rubber mat. In fact if you push down and feel around on the mat you will feel the circle, it's about 6'' in dia.
    If I'm right, JR owes me a 12 pack, if I'm wrong I owe JR a 12 pack.
    Let me know.
    If my memory is correct I pushed on mine a it felt solid so I did not try removing the mat. Based on what you said there is a plate there with screws that hold it in place so that would make sense that it felt solid...I say your correct. Even though I am not going to take that bet I will gladly provide you a cold one (or multiple cold ones). You know if your ever down my way to look me up

It's not a big deal pulling up the mat, you can use a spray adhesive to glue it back down. I just lay a couple bricks down on it to help it stay flat until the glue holds.
    JR, you didn't have a choice on the bet, it was automatic. Same goes for you pal, if you and your wife ever get brave enough to venture up here into the land of the Libtards you will be welcome to stay here for a short while but leave the novels home. LOL
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    It's not a big deal pulling up the mat, you can use a spray adhesive to glue it back down. I just lay a couple bricks down on it to help it stay flat until the glue holds.
    JR, you didn't have a choice on the bet, it was automatic. Same goes for you pal, if you and your wife ever get brave enough to venture up here into the land of the Libtards you will be welcome to stay here for a short while but leave the novels home. LOL
    ,,,,,,,,,,,....for now here is the best I can do for payment on the 12 pack I owe you ...if we ever meet in person I guarantee we will consume more than 12

Okay light weight

10. Member
    My 02 190 S.C. basically a renegade 19 has a circular access up at the nose. Still a pain to get to but do able.