Thread: Battery life

Battery life

I am going to put my 93 SV on a separate battery on a pontoon boat. Does anyone have a formula as to how many amp hours of battery are needed per hour of running the 93? I am an electrical illiterate.

If no Livescope, a 12-20ah lithium should run it a day or two.

I believe if your 93sv draws 1 amp (probably less) a 12ah should run it 12 hours.

I recommend the Ionic. The app tells you battery status, amp draw, time left, etc
    https://lithiumhub.com/lithium-deep-...ine-batteries/

3. Member
    What MonteSS says is correct but the power draw for a 93SV is 18W according to the specs at the Garmin site ( https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592963#specs ). Power is voltage times current. As the voltage drops the current rises to compensate (this is more of a consideration for any type lead acid battery, LiOn hold very close to full voltage right up to failure). Thus, if your battery is a lead acid at 12V you will draw 1.5A if the voltage drops to 11V you will increase the current draw to ~1.64A and at 10V you will draw 1.8A.

I forget what the minimum voltage is required by the units (I think around 10V). Thus, if you are getting an SLA you will not get 10 hours from a 15AH battery because the current draw will be slowly increasing during the day. I am conservative but I like to budget an extra 10% beyond a straight calculation for a lead acid battery to account for this difference. That has seemed pretty accurate.

For Lithium ion batteries the voltage is pretty constant so you can get buy with a straight calculation. I bought a 30AH LiOn battery to use with my 106SV in my kayak. It weighs far less than the 18AH SLA it replaced and I know I have juice to spare.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfisher View Post
    What MonteSS says is correct but the power draw for a 93SV is 18W according to the specs at the Garmin site ( https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592963#specs ). Power is voltage times current. As the voltage drops the current rises to compensate (this is more of a consideration for any type lead acid battery, LiOn hold very close to full voltage right up to failure). Thus, if your battery is a lead acid at 12V you will draw 1.5A if the voltage drops to 11V you will increase the current draw to ~1.64A and at 10V you will draw 1.8A.

I forget what the minimum voltage is required by the units (I think around 10V). Thus, if you are getting an SLA you will not get 10 hours from a 15AH battery because the current draw will be slowly increasing during the day. I am conservative but I like to budget an extra 10% beyond a straight calculation for a lead acid battery to account for this difference. That has seemed pretty accurate.

For Lithium ion batteries the voltage is pretty constant so you can get buy with a straight calculation. I bought a 30AH LiOn battery to use with my 106SV in my kayak. It weighs far less than the 18AH SLA it replaced and I know I have juice to spare.
    Could you address the relationship of voltage and current draw when using the power tool batteries. Many are using the Milwaukee 18 volt rechargeable power tool batteries. Some are also using the Dewalt 20 volt batteries. I have the 3D printed adapter for the Dewalt battery and even though my Ultra is rated for 18 volts, Garmin support told me 20.5 would be OK. No to 24 volts. How long will my 6ah Dewalt battery last if used for a Livescope system. I think this all started with the ice fishermen who were using Milwaukee cordless drills with the ice augers.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aero320 View Post
    Could you address the relationship of voltage and current draw when using the power tool batteries. Many are using the Milwaukee 18 volt rechargeable power tool batteries. Some are also using the Dewalt 20 volt batteries. I have the 3D printed adapter for the Dewalt battery and even though my Ultra is rated for 18 volts, Garmin support told me 20.5 would be OK. No to 24 volts. How long will my 6ah Dewalt battery last if used for a Livescope system. I think this all started with the ice fishermen who were using Milwaukee cordless drills with the ice augers.
    To first order you should only be drawing 1A at 18V (if this is for a 93SV plus). If that is the case you should be getting close to 6 hours. Now, the 18W number is based on some kind of conditions. If you lower your brightness then that will extend the life. I am not sure of the assumed brightness level for the 18W number.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfisher View Post
    To first order you should only be drawing 1A at 18V (if this is for a 93SV plus). If that is the case you should be getting close to 6 hours. Now, the 18W number is based on some kind of conditions. If you lower your brightness then that will extend the life. I am not sure of the assumed brightness level for the 18W number.
    Thanks for the response. I decided to do a garage test since my last post. I am using a 5ah Dewalt 20 volt Max battery and an adapter that I bought online. My unit is the Ultra 106sv. I am currently running simulation with a combo screen with three views and 100% brightness. It started out at 20.5 volts. After three hours things are still working and the voltage is at 17.2 volts.

lasted for four hours.
    Last edited by aero320; 04-14-2020 at 08:53 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aero320 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I decided to do a garage test since my last post. I am using a 5ah Dewalt 20 volt Max battery and an adapter that I bought online. My unit is the Ultra 106sv. I am currently running simulation with a combo screen with three views and 100% brightness. It started out at 20.5 volts. After three hours things are still working and the voltage is at 17.2 volts. lasted for four hours.
    I have a 106sv and I think they are about 26W. At 20V you would expect to draw about 1.25A thus 4H makes sense. 4Hx1.25A = 5AH.