Repower on Stratos 176xt

Looking for some advice for new motor(Repower) for my 2007 Stratos 176xt.The boats Max Hp is 75hp,boat is 1200lb. It came with a 70 Yamaha 2 stroke. Which pushed the boat 36.5 mph top end and take off was pretty good.

2. Member
    Same motor with a 6" jackplate. Had a 60 hp 4S Merc would do 36 with too much tackle.

3. Member
    I had a 176 for a couple of years, mine had a Yamaha 50 two stroke. If I had kept it, it would have been repowered with a Yamaha 75 four stroke. I was told that it’s easy to bump the 75 to 90 hp. If that wasn’t important I’d go with a Yamaha 70 four stroke, which is a nice lightweight motor.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

I'd go with a 70 or 75 HP Yamaha F Series 4 stroke.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    What he said. Got the same boat ,same yr , same 70 hp yamaha engine . When its time to repower 75 hp 4s is what i will be using

6. Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ve been going back and forth in my mind between the Yam 70 or 75 four strokes. The 75 is about a 100lbs heavier than the 70 and $1000 more expensive. Not sure what kind of power I would gain or speed with the 75.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eage View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ve been going back and forth in my mind between the Yam 70 or 75 four strokes. The 75 is about a 100lbs heavier than the 70 and $1000 more expensive. Not sure what kind of power I would gain or speed with the 75.
    Yamaha has a comparison feature on their website, you can compare up to three outboards at a time. Take a look, the 40, 50, and 60 horse motors are all based on the same 1.0L platform. The next series is the 75,90, and 115 which are all based on a 1.8L platform. So the 70 is at the top of what a 1.0 liter 4 stroke can do, and the 75 at the bottom of what a 1.8L motor can do. The 75 will have more torque and be less stressed than the 70, even if the maximum speed is similar.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Yamaha has a comparison feature on their website, you can compare up to three outboards at a time. Take a look, the 40, 50, and 60 horse motors are all based on the same 1.0L platform. The next series is the 75,90, and 115 which are all based on a 1.8L platform. So the 70 is at the top of what a 1.0 liter 4 stroke can do, and the 75 at the bottom of what a 1.8L motor can do. The 75 will have more torque and be less stressed than the 70, even if the maximum speed is similar.
    This! The 1.8 litre block will just be chillin' at 75hp and should run damn near forever that way if maintained properly. It's one of those situations where you don't think about the price difference and just do it. You'll regret it later if you don't.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.