Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Monitor with your DVOM at the battery (use an extension wire to reach the console for safety) while running on the water, now that you have the fuses replaced and it appears to have been charging.

Keep in mind that the system on this engine is a MAINTAINER (it is not a battery "charger"). You really need a properly rated, wet-cell, fully-charged battery to start with. This becomes very important when you stop at your favorite fishing spot for 4 -5 hours, pumps and graphs running, etc. If you do that, it will tax the charging system heavily and take a LONG time to replenish the battery (meaning voltage may not be 13.5+ like it was earlier in the day with a fully-charged battery).

I'm not really convinced that you have an actual problem at this point...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    nor do i
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Monitor with your DVOM at the battery (use an extension wire to reach the console for safety) while running on the water, now that you have the fuses replaced and it appears to have been charging.

Keep in mind that the system on this engine is a MAINTAINER (it is not a battery "charger"). You really need a properly rated, wet-cell, fully-charged battery to start with. This becomes very important when you stop at your favorite fishing spot for 4 -5 hours, pumps and graphs running, etc. If you do that, it will tax the charging system heavily and take a LONG time to replenish the battery (meaning voltage may not be 13.5+ like it was earlier in the day with a fully-charged battery).

I'm not really convinced that you have an actual problem at this point...
    Thank you. It seems to be acting the way it should then... now that the blown fuse was found and replaced. Thanks for your guidance and patience along the way. I appreciate your help and time. You too JOE54!!
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    Update.... the same fuse has blown again. I guess I've used it 3 times since "thinking" I had it figured out. I went ahead and replaced it, but I know I have to figure out the problem. Any suggestions after the other things I've tested so far?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

5. Member
    have you got another mabe smaller batt that you coulkd try as a test something is taxing the hell outa your charging system and sounds like its overheating regs aleast that one
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    My electronics load is:

Console
    Gen3 Helix 10 si
    Ethernet switch

Bow
    Gen3 Helix 12
    Mega 360

Plus livewell as needed. I almost always put my console graph on standby when I'm fishing and my bow unit/360 is always in standby when I'm driving.

I have a master cut off switch installed in the battery compartment that I have all my electronics hooked up to. I always cut it off before pluging in the charger. Is there any need/benefit for me to also hook up the positive motor cable to this cut off switch? It is rated for the load and connected to the cranking battery with either 2g or 4g wire.
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 05-19-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    have you got another mabe smaller batt that you coulkd try as a test something is taxing the hell outa your charging system and sounds like its overheating regs aleast that one
    I actually don't, I just bought this commercial wet cell battery to replace the duracell agm that was in it before. Those are the only 2 I have available.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I personally suspect that the upper regulator is not putting out charging current (either due to a regulator problem, stator problem, or blown fuse). This will eventually overload the remaining regulator as it just can't keep up with the demands.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12