Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation POST YOU COMMENTARY ABOUT RAMP CLOSURES HERE!

Shutting down ramps is not right. Cuomo is not a king. We need to start contacting our elected officials in the state senate and assembly. There is no better social distancing than fishing.

2. Member
    Did the state close all ramps and marinas?Saw an article but nothing on DEC

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

Exclamation POST YOU COMMENTARY ABOUT RAMP CLOSURES HERE!

Please Post feelings, comments, and questions about Ramps being closed here. NOT in the Official ramps open or closed post.
    Im trying to keep that clean and about whats found open or closed. THANK YOU!

4. Member
    Guess DEC needs to update website then. So its okay to fish on shore and line trout streams but a boat launch is a no. I rarely see a person at places i fish. Hikers mob trails with cars parked a half mile. But i can't fish, all about flattening the curve but my grocery store is more dangerous than a secluded boat ramp.

5. Member
    I just called the Western Finger Lakes DEC regional office and spoke to a conservation officer. She said that the DEC launches including Honeoye, Conesus, etc. are all still open since they are unattended and therefore not considered a business. However, private launches that have an attendant, and launches at marinas may be closed.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    From what I gather DEC ramps that do not have an attendent ... self pay machine or no attendent until memorial day opener , will remain open. private launches that have a collection box for money can remain open etc.. however some towns have been shutting down there ramps etc.. some remain open till get better clarification.. I agree DEC needs to make a official post. it reminds me of the NYS SAFE act that was passed overnight nobody knew what was going on not even the people who passed it, further clarification and exceptions came later when they relaized the magnitude of what they had done.

7. Member
    Just got an email back from The fisheries Dept in herkimer county and they honestly have no idea themselves in what’s opened and what’s closed. The email itself said they’ve held off responding because they are still waiting for clarification from the ESD and Gov.. It appears the state DEC is just as in the dark and confused as we are and this decision was made without their input or concurrence
    Last edited by ECobb91; 04-13-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    Any update on Saratoga lake? It's a state ramp and I wouldn't be surprised if the town shut it down themselves.

9. Member
    Not sure, I may take a drive by this week and will let you know. Hard to get a real idea of whats going on.

10. Member
    All closed now

11. Member
    They tried to clarify it but the article just made it a little less confusing. They say it’s state park owned ramps.. the boat launches are state public access sites not state parks. Then you have the LEO in the article saying he isn’t going to bother anyone fishing especially if it’s only two people on a boat.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    According to last night all ramps closed. That was per DEC

Sent to my N.Y.S. Representatives this morning.

Coronavirus: NY ‘temporarily suspends’ use of all its boat launches for recreational use...

This kind of over reach and idiocy has got to stop or you folks are going to end with a revolt like the one happening in Michigan!

I wait for 5 months, all winter, to get out on the water and start fishing! I work my ass off all week as well, driving a truck and transporting 'essential’ items around the state and when the weekend comes, I go fishing or lose my mind.

I leave the house, alone. Drive up to the lake, alone. Go out and fish all day, alone. No risk to myself or to anyone else.

We are not your children. You do not know what is best for us despite you believing you are the cultural and intellectual elites because of you success in life.

You want a compromise? Limit the amount of people on the boat. Limit fishermen to two persons per boat. Fine we can live with that. Even put a temporary hold on large gatherings like Fishing Tournaments. (Sorry guys, I felt like I had to throw them a bone here) And once Memorial Day weekend begins, and the general public starts arriving at boat launches in droves, limit us to immediate family members only and no boat rafting. Fine, common sense and we can live with that.

As for boat launches, most ramps are just access ramps anyways. They’re not manned. You rarely have any contact, certainly not close contact, with other boaters. You pull in, wait in line if there is one, in your car or truck, getting out ‘only’ to take the straps off the trailer, and then launch, park, get in your boat and go.

Regarding private businesses’. Marinas are going to take a real hit come Memorial Day if they have to remain shut down. (Now is the very beginning of their season!) It will make an already bad situation even worse for them. Let them open but with common sense restrictions.

As for state parks; I suppose I can see that because they are manned and state workers don’t want to be put at risk, but do they really need to be manned at all, at least during these times? (Barring Lawn maintenance etc., who’ll have no contact with the public?)

I’ve used State park ramps hundreds of times throughout my 65 years and the only time I’ve had any contact with one of the “manned” personnel is at the booth to pay a launch fee. What? The state can’t lose a penny by temporarily suspending the launch fee, (thus removing the need for the booth being “manned”) and allow us to use the ramps we paid for in the first place with our taxes and fishing license fees!

BTW, Joggers, walkers and Canoeist/Kayakers, who aren’t charged a fee at all, and are still permitted to use the parks but not power boaters?! What the heck? Where is the logic there?

We all know to keep social distancing. We all know to use a face mask. We all know to wash our hands and clean all surfaces, etc., etc., etc. You can continue to educate us and reinforce the message. But do not, do not, trample on our civil rights. Our right to "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" or you'll end up with another Michigan! Albany or the N.Y.S. Thruway will not function well if a few thousand vehicles with boats and trailers attached decide to show up and clog things up!

Please represent us and tell the Governor El Duce (Because he’s acting more and more like Michigan’s Governor) to reopen the damned boat ramps! Thank you.

Coronavirus: NY ‘temporarily suspends’ use of all its boat launches for recreational use...
    https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...ional-use.html
    Last edited by OBT; 04-16-2020 at 10:13 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post

This kind of over reach and idiocy has got to stop or you folks are going to end with a revolt like the one happening in Michigan!

I wait for 5 months, all winter, to get out on the water and start fishing! I work my ass off all week as well, driving a truck and transporting 'essential’ items around the state and when the weekend comes, I go fishing or lose my mind.

I leave the house, alone. Drive up to the lake, alone. Go out and fish all day, alone. No risk to myself or to anyone else.

We are not your children. You do not know what is best for us despite you believing you are the cultural and intellectual elites because of you success in life.

You want a compromise? Limit the amount of people on the boat. Limit fishermen to two persons per boat. Fine we can live with that. Even put a temporary hold on large gatherings like Fishing Tournaments. (Sorry guys, I felt like I had to throw them a bone here) And once Memorial Day weekend begins, and the general public starts arriving at boat launches in droves, limit us to immediate family members only and no boat rafting. Fine, common sense and we can live with that.

As for boat launches, most ramps are just access ramps anyways. They’re not manned. You rarely have any contact, certainly not close contact, with other boaters. You pull in, wait in line if there is one, in your car or truck, getting out ‘only’ to take the straps off the trailer, and then launch, park, get in your boat and go.

Regarding private businesses’. Marinas are going to take a real hit come Memorial Day if they have to remain shut down. (Now is the very beginning of their season!) It will make an already bad situation even worse for them. Let them open but with common sense restrictions.

As for state parks; I suppose I can see that because they are manned and state workers don’t want to be put at risk, but do they really need to be manned at all, at least during these times? (Barring Lawn maintenance etc., who’ll have no contact with the public?)

I’ve used State park ramps hundreds of times throughout my 65 years and the only time I’ve had any contact with one of the “manned” personnel is at the booth to pay a launch fee. What? The state can’t lose a penny by temporarily suspending the launch fee, (thus removing the need for the booth being “manned”) and allow us to use the ramps we paid for in the first place with our taxes and fishing license fees!

BTW, Joggers, walkers and Canoeist/Kayakers, who aren’t charged a fee at all, and are still permitted to use the parks but not power boaters?! What the heck? Where is the logic there?

We all know to keep social distancing. We all know to use a face mask. We all know to wash our hands and clean all surfaces, etc., etc., etc. You can continue to educate us and reinforce the message. But do not, do not, trample on our civil rights. Our right to "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" or you'll end up with another Michigan! Albany or the N.Y.S. Thruway will not function well if a few thousand vehicles with boats and trailers attached decide to show up and clog things up!

Please represent us and tell the Governor El Duce (Because he’s acting more and more like Michigan’s Governor) to reopen the damned boat ramps! Thank you.

15. Member
    Thank you Old Bass Tard! I agree completely and I also fish alone, so I have no idea how doing so will contribute to the spread of Covid-19. It is by definition social distancing. The wording in the press release was

"To limit the community spread of COVID-19, use of all DEC, Canal Corp., and State Parks-owned boat launches is temporarily suspended for recreational boaters.”

This makes it sound like it is those launches owned by NYS that are closed. What about private free launches, such as the Sodus Bay Town Launch, or private launches with a drop box (no attendant). Do they have the option of choosing to still remain open, or is launching a boat period banned?

16. Member
    You couldn't be more SPOT on... like you , waited all freaking winter and now the best time of the year to go fishing and nobody can go...FREAKING STUPID.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post

St. Croix Rods & Shimano Reels
    2002 Procraft pro 165 50hp (hope to grow up some day)
    Hummingbird 999ci HD SI, 1199ci HD SI

17. Member
    Time to go buy a fishing kayak... No launch needed. Piss off NY
    St. Croix Rods & Shimano Reels
    2002 Procraft pro 165 50hp (hope to grow up some day)
    Hummingbird 999ci HD SI, 1199ci HD SI

18. Member
    Got an email today from Pam Helming. She is state senator representing the 54th district. She and 6 other state senators have drafted a letter to the governor addressing the boat launch and golf course closures. We need everyone that enjoys the outdoors to contact there representatives. Let them know we can spend time doing things outside while maintaining social distance. Our representatives work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass13 View Post
    Got an email today from Pam Helming. She is state senator representing the 54th district. She and 6 other state senators have drafted a letter to the governor addressing the boat launch and golf course closures. We need everyone that enjoys the outdoors to contact there representatives. Let them know we can spend time doing things outside while maintaining social distance. Our representatives work for us.
    This ^

Please, Sign the petition. https://www.change.org/p/andrew-m-cu...titions_browse
    Last edited by OBT; 04-17-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon_G View Post
    Time to go buy a fishing kayak... No launch needed. Piss off NY
    Buy it out of state for the double header win with no sales tax.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast