Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've noticed a pattern that tends to emerge with this type of thing. Maybe some will disagree, but it's something I've sort of put together from seeing a bunch of threads asking about what rod should be used for a chatterbait.

Guys that use mono, copoly, or in many cases straight fluoro usually want a stouter rod (I believe that there's a LOT of differences in stretch between different fluoro lines, even within a brand...my search for the perfect fluoro to allow me to rip cranks through grass has taught me this). Guys that are using braid or fluoro that is particularly low stretch want a more moderate rod. Several pros compare fishing a chatterbait to fishing a crankbait and while I think there's some merit to that, the big difference in the two techniques is that you can get away with noodles while cranking because you don't have to "set" the hook nealy the same way. With a chatterbait, I think you need some give in the setup to allow the fish to get the bait, but you also need some backbone somewhere to be able to drive the hook home. Whether the give comes from a line with more stretch or a more moderate rod and whether the backbone comes from a line with less stretch or a stouter rod is entirely a matter of personal preference and fishing / hookset style, and is probably equally driven by the types of places you fish.

What's good for the goose might not be good for the gander, as they say.
    Drew nailed it! My preference is the Dobyns 736cb Glass using braid to 20lb fluorocarbon leader. I agree that the cushion in the rod helps when ripping through grass not to pull the bait away from the fish too fast. You need that no stretch line to drive the hook home however.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdus View Post
    Cashion Elite 7'1" Chatterbait Rod! Its a great rod!
    Yes I agree on Cashion Chatterbait rod. I was using a mod fast previously and was losing a ton of fish.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richiet625 View Post
    I know there pricey but I bought a alpha angler rebound it’s a S-glass rod the rod is legit has a parabolic bend to it but stout for driving the hook home. Always threw them on a 7’ MH enigma which worked great to
    They make a bladed jig specific rod (The Chatterbound) which I think is more versatile than the rebound great for spinnerbaits and square bills.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speed craw View Post
    Dobyns 736 cb glass with 20 lb reaction fluorocarbon.
    I’ve been debating between the 735 and 736. Will the 736 be too heavy for 3/8oz chatterbaits ?
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

5. Member
    The Cashion Elite chatterbait rod, will it work for spinnerbaits and maybe midrange crankbaits also?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Emotionally scarred, lost the biggest fish of my life at my feet yesterday. A wallhanger, I'm sick about it. After some venting here, and a trip to the shrink I should be fine lol.

Big fish have been killing a chatterbait lately, but I'm afraid the rod I'm using is not driving the hook. I've been using a Kistler Blade/buzz/chatter. Very parabolic and fights fish well, great sensitivity, but I feel like that beefy hook may be too much for it and it never gets driven home. 17 lb. Flouro.

Do any of you use a stouter rod for Jackhammers? Braid of flouro?
    Have been throwing them on a G. Loomis E6X Crankbait Casting Rod 7' MH 845C CBR with 17lb fluorocarbon

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    I’ve been debating between the 735 and 736. Will the 736 be too heavy for 3/8oz chatterbaits ?
    Im using the 736 glass with braid to fluoro leader to throw 3/8-1/2oz chatterbaits. As Drew lays out you have to use a combination of tackle components to have the optimum set up. Im speculating when I say this but a graphite 736 would probably be more appropriate for a frogging rod unless you balanced it with the stretch of mono to use with your chatterbait.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    Im using the 736 glass with braid to fluoro leader to throw 3/8-1/2oz chatterbaits. As Drew lays out you have to use a combination of tackle components to have the optimum set up. Im speculating when I say this but a graphite 736 would probably be more appropriate for a frogging rod unless you balanced it with the stretch of mono to use with your chatterbait.
    I agree, I wasn’t clear but the 736cb glass was the one I was referring to. Thanks for the info
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by illini71 View Post
    They make a bladed jig specific rod (The Chatterbound) which I think is more versatile than the rebound great for spinnerbaits and square bills.
    Love the Chatterbound Rod for the chatterbait. Thinking about getting a 2nd one for swim jigs.

2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha SHO 250
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112
    Humminbird Helix 12 and 9

10. Member
    2020 Kistler 7’-3” All-Purpse Feel-N-Reel or Shimano Expride 7’-2” MH Glass. Both rods are a composite, meaning they have fiberglass tips and graphite backbones. In my opinion, they are among the finest chatterbait rods on the market.

11. Banned
    The daemos is an amizing chatterbait rod also the dobyns 734 champ but dont like glass for any single hook baits seems weird to me

12. Banned
    but i also havent caught many fishover 5on a chatterbait if thatmeans much

13. Member
    7'1" heavy Valkyrie rod is all the rod you'll need..

I had the 735/736 Dobyns combo and if you are looking at a dedicated Chatterbait rod they definitely fit the bill, if choosing one I would prob go with the 736. Kinda wish I still had it at times, but as a Co versatility is the key, so I typically throw them on a GLX 844C MBR on braid (Florida>Grass).

15. Member
    My set up for chatterbait right now is an evergreen combat stick jackhammer rod. Its a tad on the heavy side but i like it. I use 15# assassin fc on mine.

Another rod i liked for chatterbait is tatula elite 7’4

16. Member
    Zodias 7’2, 7’5 or champion 734

17. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    Those two dobyns rods are awesome. Love the 736 cb glass so much bought the 735. Always have both on deck with a 3/8 oz and 1/2oz. However, 736 handles a 3/8oz just fine
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

18. Member
    Alpha Angler chatterbound 7,2 mh composite is a very nice rod for bladed jigs
    I,d rather be tried by 12 than be carried by 6

19. Member
    Just this spring I picked up a Hammer Jak series chatterbait rod and I have caught many fish thus far on it and I am very happy with it. The Hammer rods have a very parabolic action and keep the fish pinned nicely.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m with Drew on this one. I throw a jh a lot and my rod is a MH but has a really soft tip! I accidentally got this rod, it was made by an ex member that popped back up today! It’s a 7’ but had no “rating” since it was a custom. With 40 or 50lb Sufix 832 it’s simply the best chatterbait rod I could ever imagine.

I have used my 7’1 BPS Platinum rod/reel and it works just fine, bit I definitely prefer the softer tip on my other rod. I’ve caught bass up to 11.4 on it and it handles everything incredibly smooth. Rips the JH from grass just right...and that’s where I get a lot of strikes.

If I were to use my 7’1 MH-F Platinum rod I’d most likely throw it on 17lb mono or copoly, but with the price of them I’m glad I always use braid!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast