Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rod for Jackhammer

Emotionally scarred, lost the biggest fish of my life at my feet yesterday. A wallhanger, I'm sick about it. After some venting here, and a trip to the shrink I should be fine lol.

Big fish have been killing a chatterbait lately, but I'm afraid the rod I'm using is not driving the hook. I've been using a Kistler Blade/buzz/chatter. Very parabolic and fights fish well, great sensitivity, but I feel like that beefy hook may be too much for it and it never gets driven home. 17 lb. Flouro.

Do any of you use a stouter rod for Jackhammers? Braid of flouro?

2. Member
    I started fishing bladed jigs on a mojo glass rod that had plenty of give to it. I seemed to lose too many fish. Then I tried a MH worm rod w/fast action and couldn't believe how much more I could feel the bait working and felt I could really get the hook in them, but after last year I felt I was still losing to many. So started this year with a new Jacob Wheeler Ducket crankbait rod, MH moderate action. Lots of give, but more backbone. So far so good, I'd say I've caught about 20 so far and not one has come undone.

Personally, I've had the best success using a rod with some give and braid. Sounds counterintuitive, but the fish seem to get the bait really well with the forgiving rod, and hookups are solid with no-stretch braid. I use a 7' Medium Premier Crankbait rod. My partner uses a 7' medium Duckett crankbait rod.

4. Member
    I have more trouble with the proper rod for chatter baits than any other lure. I use three. Gone through twice that many. An old glass rod 6'-8 medium heavy, a new composite rod 6'-8 medium heavy and a relatively new graphite rod 7'-2 medium heavy jig rod (a heavy MH).

I prefer the two cranking rods, but some days it seems like the graphite rod sticks them better. I think it has a lot to do with how the fish are hitting that day.

I throw braided line and a leader. Typically 15 lb Big Game. Tried FC and the mono just seems to work better.

Throwing Jack Hammers and Thunder Crickets as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    Personally, I've had the best success using a rod with some give and braid. Sounds counterintuitive, but the fish seem to get the bait really well with the forgiving rod, and hookups are solid with no-stretch braid. I use a 7' Medium Premier Crankbait rod. My partner uses a 7' medium Duckett crankbait rod.
    This for me too, specifically I'm using a composite rod. I do tend to tack a fluoro leader on, but that's not adding any notable amount of stretch to my setup. I started down this path as straight fluoro on a softer rod made me have to work way too hard to fish through grass - ripping a bait free was a real chore. I got sort of lucky and landed on the magic formula from there, I think.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    I fished jackhammers on a mh 7'1" helium for a long time and the only issue I had was when they smoked it the fast action would take it out of their mouth. I got a Millerods Bladefreak to try that has a little more length and a slower action and I've lost one fish out of at least 100 since I've gotten it and that was only because I was fishing over some broken down slimy hydrilla and the fish got a mouth full of slimy grass along with the bait and it came unbuttoned.

7. Member
    Cashion Elite 7'1" Chatterbait Rod! Its a great rod!

I use a 6'6" Medium Heavy old Lew's Laser and 15 pound Izorline Platinum, the same rod that I use for spinnerbaits. I tried glass rods, composite rods, and lost fish. I finally went to my back to my spinnerbait rods and haven't had a problem since. However, if you are using braid, then you will need a rod with more "give" than a medium heavy.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    Dobyns 736 cb glass with 20 lb reaction fluorocarbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I use a 6'6" Medium Heavy old Lew's Laser and 15 pound Izorline Platinum, the same rod that I use for spinnerbaits. I tried glass rods, composite rods, and lost fish. I finally went to my back to my spinnerbait rods and haven't had a problem since. However, if you are using braid, then you will need a rod with more "give" than a medium heavy.
    Same here Jeff, because some Pro on TV one day said you need a bit of a limber rod to help let the lure work I started trying more limpy rod. I lost fish and went back to the 6-6 MH with 14 lb mono and now don't have an issue.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

11. Banned
    Found You a set-up 'on the cheap'

Rod- 7'2 Med. The $99 one.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dena...age-DASCR.html

Line- 12lb.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Izor...cpage-ILP.html

12. Banned
    Addition...

I sent You to @TackleWhorehouse™ and I figured You 'may' want to qualify for the "Free" shirt?

Check these Buzzbaits. Notice anything? *You'll only need to buy 1 because You're able to switch them out for the best (so far) swimming jig going

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mesu...page-MFRB.html

A couple new colors (or TW just added them? Lovelace and Wh./Chart.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU...e-MESURAP.html

I've noticed a pattern that tends to emerge with this type of thing. Maybe some will disagree, but it's something I've sort of put together from seeing a bunch of threads asking about what rod should be used for a chatterbait.

Guys that use mono, copoly, or in many cases straight fluoro usually want a stouter rod (I believe that there's a LOT of differences in stretch between different fluoro lines, even within a brand...my search for the perfect fluoro to allow me to rip cranks through grass has taught me this). Guys that are using braid or fluoro that is particularly low stretch want a more moderate rod. Several pros compare fishing a chatterbait to fishing a crankbait and while I think there's some merit to that, the big difference in the two techniques is that you can get away with noodles while cranking because you don't have to "set" the hook nealy the same way. With a chatterbait, I think you need some give in the setup to allow the fish to get the bait, but you also need some backbone somewhere to be able to drive the hook home. Whether the give comes from a line with more stretch or a more moderate rod and whether the backbone comes from a line with less stretch or a stouter rod is entirely a matter of personal preference and fishing / hookset style, and is probably equally driven by the types of places you fish.

What's good for the goose might not be good for the gander, as they say.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speed craw View Post
    Dobyns 736 cb glass with 20 lb reaction fluorocarbon.
    This

15. Member
    You got me on those Swimjigs a while back. And I'm still on them. The best part that no one talks about, it's impossible for the fish to throw the hook since it's like a wobblehead. Coulda used one of those Sunday lol!

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Addition...

I sent You to @TackleWhorehouse™ and I figured You 'may' want to qualify for the "Free" shirt?

Check these Buzzbaits. Notice anything? *You'll only need to buy 1 because You're able to switch them out for the best (so far) swimming jig going

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mesu...page-MFRB.html

A couple new colors (or TW just added them? Lovelace and Wh./Chart.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU...e-MESURAP.html

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've noticed a pattern that tends to emerge with this type of thing. Maybe some will disagree, but it's something I've sort of put together from seeing a bunch of threads asking about what rod should be used for a chatterbait.

Guys that use mono, copoly, or in many cases straight fluoro usually want a stouter rod (I believe that there's a LOT of differences in stretch between different fluoro lines, even within a brand...my search for the perfect fluoro to allow me to rip cranks through grass has taught me this). Guys that are using braid or fluoro that is particularly low stretch want a more moderate rod. Several pros compare fishing a chatterbait to fishing a crankbait and while I think there's some merit to that, the big difference in the two techniques is that you can get away with noodles while cranking because you don't have to "set" the hook nealy the same way. With a chatterbait, I think you need some give in the setup to allow the fish to get the bait, but you also need some backbone somewhere to be able to drive the hook home. Whether the give comes from a line with more stretch or a more moderate rod and whether the backbone comes from a line with less stretch or a stouter rod is entirely a matter of personal preference and fishing / hookset style, and is probably equally driven by the types of places you fish.

Yes, I think you nailed it. Two schools of thought, but it comes down to personal preference.

17. Member
    OK, youve convinced me to go braid on the existing rod. I will use the Daemos (with braid also) for grass applications for lipless and chatterbait. Sound reasonable to you guys?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

I agree with this. My main chatterbait rod was a 7’6”mh that seemed closer to a medium power. With braid and a mono leader my hookup and landing ratio was great. For some reason I bought a more traditional chatterbait rod that I will try with fluorocarbon

19. Member
    I Add A Trailer Hook.

20. Member
    I know there pricey but I bought a alpha angler rebound it’s a S-glass rod the rod is legit has a parabolic bend to it but stout for driving the hook home. Always threw them on a 7’ MH enigma which worked great to

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast