Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop to pad adjustment range with hydraulic jackplate

I realize every boat will be different, but.....when setting up motor height with jackplate, how far do you want your range of prop to pad above or below the ideal setting?

my ptp is 5.75" with plate all the way down and 1" with plate all the way up

2. Member
    What boat and what motor do you have?

3. Member
    2017 Legend V20 250 Opti pro XS Atlas plate with 12" setback and 10 ft power poles running Fury 3 24

4. Member
    I can't imagine a Legend needing to be higher than 1" below pad without a Sportmaster lower unit. What is your water pressure at the highest setting?
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

I dont have a hyd plate, But if I did.... If the plate had 6in of travel. I'd mount my sweet spot for running in the middle and have 3in down and 3in up from there.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I can't imagine a Legend needing to be higher than 1" below pad without a Sportmaster lower unit. What is your water pressure at the highest setting?
    I use highest setting to get on plane or off plane in shallow water so I am not concerned about water pressure for those short stretches.
    I was actually thinking the opposite. You can bring the plate down to help in rough water scenarios but at what point is it not helping?

7. Member
    Due to angle of transom, I only get about 5 " of upward travel. The motor moves up and slightly back as the plate goes up

8. Member
    I set mine in the middle and wish I'd set it one hole higher for more up travel. Your probably fishing some rivers and lakes in VA. and having it go higher may help.

I fish the great lakes and rough water a lot, I'd want more down travel possibly. Not sure.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    The Potomac gets rough and it's not rollers just 3-4 footers depending on tide, boat traffic and wind on bad days. Normal is 1-2 footers.

I don't like run Hydraulic plates, as I firmly feel the disadvantages far outweigh any benefits to them
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I don't like run Hydraulic plates, as I firmly feel the disadvantages far outweigh any benefits to them
    What would you say are the disadvantages other than initial cost and possible repairs?

13. Member
    There are disadvantages to a hydraulic jack plate?

14. Member
    I am no brain surgeon. but i can not think of any con's of a hydraulic plate other than cost and possible repairs. so please i would love to love of the disadvantages with a hydraulic plate. Oh i really am not being a smarty pants.

Quote Originally Posted by abassin1 View Post
    I am no brain surgeon. but i can not think of any con's of a hydraulic plate other than cost and possible repairs. so please i would love to love of the disadvantages with a hydraulic plate. Oh i really am not being a smarty pants.
    [/QUOTE]

Those two alone are enough
    In most cases not all, If properly set up the boat without a hyd unit will perform slightly better than with one
    Adds weight to the rear slowing down hole shot a little in many cases
    Takes skilled operator to take advantage of using one
    Most are not that skilled In operation
    Why would I want one when I can equal and probably exceed performance levels with one
    Less chance of problems that can spoil your day
    I stress most not all
    I think the better statement is what advantage does a hydraulic unit have for my boat, absoluty none
    Rough water , nope, Shallow water, nope, Hole shot, nope, Top speed, no help there either.

The only real advantage I see with one is when setting up boat it is really convenient for adjusting the P to P
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-27-2020 at 09:43 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    You obviously haven't fished down here in Florida then, Hydraulic JP's are a must as we are fishing many waters in the 18 -24" range with lots of vegetation. The jackplate allows you to raise the motor up and trim all the way down to get on plane or idle around without dredging the bottom with your prop. Had boats both ways and would never have another boat without one. It doesn't take long figuring out the sweet spots using the plate.

Those two alone are enough
    In most cases not all, If properly set up the boat without a hyd unit will perform slightly better than with one
    Adds weight to the rear slowing down hole shot a little in many cases
    Takes skilled operator to take advantage of using one
    Most are not that skilled In operation
    Why would I want one when I can equal and probably exceed performance levels with one
    Less chance of problems that can spoil your day
    I stress most not all
    I think the better statement is what advantage does a hydraulic unit have for my boat, absoluty none
    Rough water , nope, Shallow water, nope, Hole shot, nope, Top speed, no help there either.

The only real advantage I see with one is when setting up boat it is really convenient for adjusting the P to P
    [/QUOTE]

I think there is no difference in 2 ft water in Florida with weeds vs 2 ft with weeds in the Sacramento Delta, I can go anywhere you can and I can put it on plane in just as shallow of water as you can, maybe even less. Correct setup and knowing your equipment. Between no poles and no hydraulic jack, my boat floats somewhat higher, gets on pad faster handle better and runs faster setup light. Simple is usually a better way go as there less thing to go wrong to spoil your day
    With all that said, The best thing any one can do, is what makes you feel good and builds confidence.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member
    Hydraulic jackplate is 1 of the best things I have put on my boat. I set mine up to run on the boats sweet spot 2 inches from the bottom of the plate so I can bury it in 2 inches in rough water. But when idle through shallow water I can raise it 4 inches and the skeg is not even below the pad of the boat when trimmed up. Thus protecting your lower unit. If only ran rough water I would reverse this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I think there is no difference in 2 ft water in Florida with weeds vs 2 ft with weeds in the Sacramento Delta, e.
    I would challenge that ideology as Florida waters have stumps hidden in that vegetation. I’ve thumped many cautiously navigating Rodman, Ocklawaha, Saint Johns, etc... I can agree with the keep is simple philosophy to the point where the boat crosses the high performance threshold. It becomes false economy to run on the pad without on the fly adjustability. Anyone who has had one knows load out, weight, water conditions all vary requiring an adjustment up or down respectively. Just saying one fixed point works is naive.
    Last edited by Finlander; 05-30-2020 at 06:31 AM.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Evidently Ipugh has never fished Okeechobee, Toho, Kissimmee, Harris Chain, & the ones up north as Finlander mentioned.

But I think you guys are getting off track on the OP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast