Thread: Motor Surging

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Don. I'm going to keep running it and hopefully it will set a fault if it does it again. It ran like a scalded dog last weekend which is why I bought it

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Well the gremlin showed itself again today. The first time I opened it up it ran great...77.5mph @ 6200 RPMs. The second time it fell on it's face at WOT fully trimmed and almost bow hooked the boat. I trimmed down and kept it at WOT for about 10 miles hoping it would get worse but it just kept doing it's on/off pattern. No faults on the vessel view but I guess the on/off pattern is not long enough to throw a fault. How do I get to the fuel filter? Everything is so covered up under the cowling. I would not be afraid to replace it if I knew how to get to it.

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Found a video and remember seeing this part I think without having to take any internal covers off....is this it?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...62&action=view

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    Found a video and remember seeing this part I think without having to take any internal covers off....is this it?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...62&action=view

That's it. Make sure they didn't install any other filters between the tank and the engine (should have ONLY ONE).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's it. Make sure they didn't install any other filters between the tank and the engine (should have ONLY ONE).
    Thanks Don, Rhonda got one in the mail headed my way today....hope it fixes it but can't hurt anyway

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

6. Member
    By any chance, are you using a lithium starting battery? I had a few other symptoms but surging was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    By any chance, are you using a lithium starting battery? I had a few other symptoms but surging was one of them.
    Thanks for that thought but I am running an AGM that came from the dealer with the boat. It has the right CA but anything is possible still if it has lost it's edge. It did this before and dealer replaced the shift sensor and it seemed to correct the problem. This time they could not replicate the problem so they could not make any repairs....that was last July. Have not had a problem until last Sunday

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12