Canning / Pressure cooking

So what is your go to with canning items be it veggies, meats or otherwise?

I have been pressure cooking wild hog from Texas and having pulled pork with that as well as vension and typically put a clove of garlic, salt and a little pepper in jar before canning.

I have done hot veggie mix but haven't gotten too far into the non-meats. Looking to get more veggies canned so that I can have entire meals preserved on the shelf ready to eat hunting and such.

We can hot garlic dill pickles. My Grandmother got the recipe from a Hungarian woman she worked with. Grandma tweaked it to her taste and then we tweaked it a little more. In addition to pickle spears, we put in carrots, celery, 1/4 of a green tomato, and I like to put a small piece of Portabello mushroom on top. We season the mix with garlic cloves, dill, and a big piece of raw horseradish.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I do jalapenos, pickles, and fruits. A few other things. Nothing that requires a pressure cooker. I have one but don’t get that deep into it. The Ball ‘Blue Book’ is a must have for canning.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    We can hot garlic dill pickles. My Grandmother got the recipe from a Hungarian woman she worked with. Grandma tweaked it to her taste and then we tweaked it a little more. In addition to pickle spears, we put in carrots, celery, 1/4 of a green tomato, and I like to put a small piece of Portabello mushroom on top. We season the mix with garlic cloves, dill, and a big piece of raw horseradish.
    So you put the horseradish in to get the spice or you also put jalapeno or some other pepper?

5. Member
    jalapenos dill pickles hot dills bread and butter pickles salsas spaghetti sauces stewed tomatoes hot pickled green beans regular green beans list goes on and on.

Jeff, can we get that recipe? Thanks.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

The recipe is simple. Pickles, whole or sliced into spears. Celery and carrots, sliced into spears. Green tomatoes, cut into 8th's. Jalapeno pepper and/or hot banana pepper - use what you want depending on how hot you want the pickles to be. We usually use one of both, but on occasion we've been unable to find banana peppers and use just a Jalapeno. Cloves of garlic and cubes or a spear of raw horseradish. You can add anything else you want. I like a small Portabello mushroom on top and have also used a small cocktail onion, which is really good. Sprigs of dill. Grape leaves. Salicylic acid (basically, it's powdered aspirin and helps keep the pickles crisp) and alum. It takes us several days to acquire all of the ingredients and a solid day to get pickles washed, horseradish cleaned, carrots and celery cleaned, etc.

Canning liquid - 9 cups water, 3 cups white vinegar, 3/4 cup butcher's salt, if you can find it. Otherwise, use canning salt. Bring liquid to a boil.

Place medium grape leaf on the bottom of the jar, add a sprig of dill, 3-4 cloves of garlic, 3-4 cubes of horseradish. Pack jar with pickles, carrots, celery until it is full. Pack with pickles and peppers first. Then , using the handle of a wooden spoon, shove several carrot or celery spears into the jar until it's completely full. Add a 1/8 of a green tomato and small pieces of pickle to take up any remaining room at the top of the jar. Add 1/4 teaspoon of Salycylic acid and 1/2 teaspoon of alum. Add sprig of dill, 3-4 garlic cloves and 3-4 cubes of horseradish and cover the top with another medium grape leaf. Fill jar with canning liquid. Heat lids in hot water, place lids on jars, and screw on the tops. Put jars in cold packer full of water and bring the water to a boil. Once the water comes to a full boil, let jars boil for 5 minutes. Set jars aside to cool. You should hear the lids "POP" when they seal.

We only usually make these every 3 years or so and when we do it's a marathon two day session where we make 120 quarts or so. But, we need that many, as I have a couple pickle spears with lunch everyday!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Thank you sir. Can't wait to try it.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

9. Member
    Awesome thanks! Gonna try those for sure.