moved to Iowa City, need boat advice

Hi,
    I moved to IC last summer and am moving to a house in a month or so where I can park a boat up to about 19 ft and hopefully start up fishing again. I moved from TN where I fished for 30 years on big water and always had a 20 or 21 ft fiberglass boat. I never owned a tin boat but fished out of a couple back in the 90's. I've been trying to research the fishing around here and not really making much progress as far as really knowing what the lakes would be like, i.e., ramps, depths, what structure is available, etc. I am thinking anything within a hour or so drive from me is small and may be restricted to trolling motor. I'm only going to be here 4 years or so and then probably moving back south, but not sure where, so I'm not wanting to make a huge money investment. I'm wanting to go for fun, keeping it to nice weather days and I'm retired so I can go during the week when it's less crowed. I am a bass fisherman, but have learned there are white bass in the Iowa River so that would be ok. I've been trying to find info on fishing the Iowa River here in town, but can't find anything on how navigable it is. So, the question is: what kind of boat to get? I'm thinking an aluminum boat would be the best bet as the lakes I've seen near here are small ( yes, lake Mcbride seems small to me ). However, I've noticed the wind blows ALL the time here pretty hard. I've been looking online and found better deals on some older fiberglass boats in the 18 ft range than some 18 or 19 ft metal boats but thinking with limited parking space, and not sure of launching ramps especially on the rivers ( lots of rip rap to have to beach on for launching by myself ) metal is the safer bet.

So, any input from some eastern Iowa anglers would be greatly appreciated! I'm dying to get back on the water again.

2. Banned
    I think a 19ft with a 200hp is about perfect for all of the bodies of water Iowa has to offer. It's more than big enough if you want to take a trip to a bigger lake out of state as well

3. Member
    18 or 19 foot aluminum boat work well around here.

4. Member
    Thanks. Are you saying aluminum would be safer, better because of the shallow water running or that it would be sufficient? I can get a good older glass boat cheaper and would go that route unless the bodies of water are better suited to aluminum. I guess the real question is are the lakes/rivers better suited to aluminum than glass
    ( excluding the Mississippi and larger lakes )
    Last edited by reelblues; 04-12-2020 at 04:25 PM.

5. Member
    I guess I am just a bit bias here as I mainly fish the Mississippi. Get back in shallow nasty water with a lot of stumps etc. Also crappie fish so I like to be able to pull into a snag and not worry too much about things.

6. Member
    I've found the best deals as far as aluminum boats go on the 17.5' boats with the 60 hp motors, the Tracker, Lowe, Crestliner, etc, 175's. Since a lot of the lakes are troll only, it sounds like this option might be the best. As far as the Mississippi River pools are concerned, I'm thinking it would work? I've seen a million of these back home on the TN river. I'm guessing this is a pretty popular size by the amount for sale in the area.

7. Member
    I'd look at the Iowa DNR website and take a look at all the lakes within an hour or so of Iowa City. Most will have lake maps and restrictions so you can tell how shallow a lake is and whether it is a trolling motor only or no-wake lake. I can tell you that as much as I love my 19' glass boat, it's not much fun trying to load it on a trolling motor only lake, especially if the ramp is steep. And the only time I ever need the 175 HP motor on the back is when I go to the Mississippi River since the other lakes I fish are no-wake or 5 mph speed restricted. Another lake I fish is really shallow and a tin boat would be much better suited for fishing it. The main things I love about having my glass boat are the stability, storage, and not getting blown around by the wind. If I were in your shoes, I would probably look at an 18'-19' aluminum rig with a 75-115hp motor. Good luck with your search.

8. Member
    Thanks guys. I am a little concerned about the ramps with a glass boat. The only ones I’ve seen would be hard to launch by myself without risking the boat as there wasn’t a place to tie up to, just rip rap. But, I have only seen a couple close to town here, none at a lake yet.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I'd look at the Iowa DNR website and take a look at all the lakes within an hour or so of Iowa City. Most will have lake maps and restrictions so you can tell how shallow a lake is and whether it is a trolling motor only or no-wake lake. I can tell you that as much as I love my 19' glass boat, it's not much fun trying to load it on a trolling motor only lake, especially if the ramp is steep. And the only time I ever need the 175 HP motor on the back is when I go to the Mississippi River since the other lakes I fish are no-wake or 5 mph speed restricted. Another lake I fish is really shallow and a tin boat would be much better suited for fishing it. The main things I love about having my glass boat are the stability, storage, and not getting blown around by the wind. If I were in your shoes, I would probably look at an 18'-19' aluminum rig with a 75-115hp motor. Good luck with your search.
    I grew up in Central Iowa and began fishing club tournaments in the early 80's and the fishing has really gotten better as the lakes are well managed. As already stated, most of the lakes are under 1000 acres and are speed restricted, some are troller only. The Cedar and Iowa Rivers are definitely places where you have to be cautious, the Mississippi River is excellent fishing. I think something like a RT188 or Tracker 185 with a 90-115 hp motor would work well for you. You can easily get these onto a trailer on trolling motor only lakes by using the winch. I have a personal preference for the RT188 as it sits low in the water and doesn't catch as much wind because as you have noted, the wind blows constantly in Iowa.

10. Member
    I would think more about how big of a boat you need to do what you want rather than what material. Ramps at any of the lakes near you work well for a bass boat so don't worry about ramps. There are many great fishing lakes within an hour or so of you and the Mississippi as another person said. Big Hollow, Lake Darling, Belva Deer, Hawthorn just to name a few other than McBride and the Coralville Lake. I have a bass boat and no problem at any of them!