1998 Johnson 200 Intermittent Low Power

Hello guys, I have a 98 Johnson 200 model# J200STLECE on a 98 Stratos 295PE that I purchased about 8 months ago.
    Until now it has run flawlessly, once I learned how to start it (thank you BBC forum).
    I have changed LU oil, fixed a LU leak at the bearing carrier seal, tested all the alarms (working), replaced the clear missing throttle roller (thanks again BBC), replaced the spark plugs (Champion QL78YC), primer bulb, and T-stats. All as maintenance before my issue arrived.
    Last weekend it ran fine Sat, loading the boat the motor had drifted over a log, when I went to forward the prop hit the log and stalled the engine, I checked the prop, started engine and idled fine, loaded and left
    Sunday motor ran fine first run, after fishing a bit, started engine to run up river, it dropped about 6-800RPM then would pick back up. Didn't want to run it so I went home, at the landing it idled but would jump now and then like an ignition miss, just sharp and sudden. Checked the compression and all between 95-100PSI on cold engine, plugs on all 6 looked fine, not white not black and fat, just a rusty brown color. Tried a timing light on all six and they were firing (not loaded, on muffs).
    Back to the water next day and ran fine first run, leaving fishing idled out of a channel about 10min, trim down and hit the gas and it just struggled to get on plane, I pushed in on the fuel enrichment and it didn't help, got on plane running about half how it normally does, hit the primer again and it bogged down. It also seems to idle a little lower, maybe 100ish RPM. Still starts the same and does not stall at idle.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Axlenut; 04-13-2020 at 08:27 AM.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    May have tweaked the key on the flywheel?

Thanks Bassmeister. I did check the keyway this weekend and it looked ok, flywheel was still tight when I pulled it, checked keyway and magnets on the wheel.
    The first 4 recirc valves I checked were bad and I couldn't save them so I ordered all 6.
    I don't think that they are all of my problem but they need to be replaced.
    Will do some more testing and post my findings.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

5. Member
    Using a timing light to check for spark is OK, but it's not the rest of the story. Spark must jump a 7/16 gap, on a spark checker and be bright.

Thanks 316jughead, I'll throw the spark tester in the truck. Had the timing light at the house for another project and the tester slipped my mind, forest for the trees I reckon.
    I might be barking up the wrong tree but it seems like it is dropping a coil or two once warm, coils, PP, timer base, time will tell.

Another question for the masses, I tested my recircs with syringe, cyl 1 had a fair amount of fuel when I pulled and the rest very little to none, would that be indicative of anything or pretty standard? Motor had not been run in a couple days and sit tilted up on transom saver.

7. Member
    Don't rule out the stator. I might test the hose on #1 to see if it moves air freely. Don't remove it for test.

Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Don't rule out the stator. I might test the hose on #1 to see if it moves air freely. Don't remove it for test.
    I'm guessing you are talking about the recirc hose and a possible restriction, I removed the hoses on the cylinder side and hooked to the syringe.
    I suppose the other hoses could have been sucking air or cylinder 1 could be restricted in the port on the block maybe?

9. Member
    Just bought 2000 Johnson 200 on 2000 Triton SF21. How is best way to start it? I have changed lower unit oil, found some metal on the magnets, not big pieces just dust on the rag. Hope this is normal. Thanks for advice.

10. Member
    turn the key on - push it in to prime and hold it there. crank it while keeping the key pushed in - stop pushing in unless it wants to die - if it does give it a momentary push. once it runs for 30 seconds you should not have to push the prime.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    turn the key on - push it in to prime and hold it there. crank it while keeping the key pushed in - stop pushing in unless it wants to die - if it does give it a momentary push. once it runs for 30 seconds you should not have to push the prime.
    ^^^ This, also trim the motor down level or slightly tucked under.
    And a little peach fuzz on the magnet in the LU is normal.

12. Member
    Thanks, sorry about posting on your thread, saw we had the same motor.

Update, finally got some time to get back on my motor. Put the LU in a test tank and ran it 15 minutes, checking with a timing light again showed no spark on cyl 5.
    Put a spark tester on the remaining cyls and was bright and strong. Swapped coil, wire, and plug to another cyl and the missing stayed on 5.
    Checked PP and timer base wires and all looked good. Did some testing of the timer base and seems ok.
    I wasn't convinced by the testing of the timer base so I ordered a timer base and PP, both OMC.
    Any special tips for replacing either or just follow the manual? Thanks

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Follow the manual and you'll be OK but I'd check the timing to make sure nothing moved.

Well, as it turns out, my timer base is bad. Bought a used one, and guess what? It's bad, dead cyl moved to #1 and #3 is intermittent.

Are there any other part numbers that could be used or where might have the best deal on a new one?

Good news is I know what's wrong with it now and have a spare good PP that was cheap!

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Thanks ChampioNman, just what I was looking for.

Guys, she's fixed! Timer base took care of it. Back to roaring and mean as ever.

Thanks to Bassmeister, jughead, and ChampioNman for the help!!

19. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I was no help but glad to hear all is well.