Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Losing too many fish wacky wormin’

I have never had this problem before. This year, for some unknown reason, many of my fish come unpegged about 5 to 10 feet from the boat. I have tried 2/0 Gamakatsu, 2/0 Owner, and 2/0 Mustad wacky worm hooks. I have used these with plastic weed guards, light wire weed guards, and no weed guard. I am mainly throwing Strike King Shim E Sticks and Yum Dingers, with and also without o-rings. When I feel or see a fish on, I usually set the hook by reeling down on them. Lately I have tried setting the hook the old fashioned way, like a Texas rig hook set. I have also recently gone down to 1/0 and smaller hooks with no luck. I’m using a 7 ft mh/mf rod (Loomis), 20 lb braid with 12 lb leader, Curado 50e reel 6:1 ratio. What should I do differently to keep these fish pinned? I am out of ideas. Thanks

2. Member
    Maybe change your color. They might night be eating it to well which is hindering you from getting a good hookset into 'em.

Which Gamakatsu hook did you try? If it was the Wicked Wacky hook, then I would suggest trying the Finesse Wide Gap hook. I use these and never miss a fish that I can remember. These have a much more point open and exposed bend than the Wicked Wacky.

Also I use much more flexible worms like Zoom Trick and Finesse, and Swampcrawler worms for wacky rigging. Perhaps the thicker stiffer type worms do not get drawn into the mouth as well? Just a thought. They would sure fill the hook gap more. Maybe if you want to use the thicker worms you should try 3/0 or 4/0 hooks? Just another idea.

4. Member
    Gamakatsu Finesse wide gap I have never had an issue. I tend toy use the 1/0 size

5. Member
    I just went and checked my hooks. I have been using the Finesse Wide Gap 2/0 hooks in both Owner and Gamakatsu. It makes sense that the thicker, stiffer senko style worms I’m using this year may be my problem. For some reason, that’s what the bass seem to want this year. I usually use Zoom Finesse and Trick worms, along with Roboworms and a few others. It has been so rainy and the lakes so muddy around here, that maybe that’s why they want the bigger baits. Easier to find or something? Thanks for your input.

6. Member
    my hook up ratio went up big time when I went to a med light rod versus med
    think with the little stiffer rod they was feeling me

7. Scraps
    U think the o-ring should address the thicker bait issue. I know those Neko rig hooks give me a really good hookup ratio.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    Maybe some of these fish aren't eating it, but just grabbing it by the head or tail to get it off the nest? Water is too muddy to see what's happening. I'll try a little larger hook and smaller worm and o-ring, and see what happens.

I'd bet a lot of money that it's the hook. I wouldn't change baits at all. Try a thin wire straight shank hook, any of the ones marketed as Neko hooks will work - VMC Neko, Gamakatsu Stinger (or B10S which is the same hook but marketed to fly tyers and is cheaper), Mustad TitanX Wacky/Neko, Owner Sniper Finesse, etc.

Those wacky hooks that are really just glorified walleye hooks are a recipe for losing fish unless the fish are eating it really good, and I honestly didn't realize how bad it was until I started Neko rigging and realized I never missed or lost fish. If you're using any of the ones with the weed guard that you put under the hook point to get it in place, it'll be even worse. If you really need a good weedless hook, the Gamakatsu G-Finesse Weedless Stinger is spendy, but it's the only one with a weedguard that I've tried (and I've tried a bunch!) that will allow you to fish more than the thinnest of cover without snagging up that also doesn't screw up your hooksets. The VMC weedless Neko won't mess up your hooksets and the weedguard is better than nothing, but it's just not going to protect from much more than lifting over a single log or something like that.

Switched to the straight shank variety for all wacky rigging - even wacky and nose hooking on drop shots - and have never looked back. Just reel into the fish and lean on them a little when it gets tight. That style hook will fix your issues!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

10. Banned
    Probably dinks or bream.

11. Member
    Thanks Drew, I just ordered a couple of packs of the VMC Neko hooks in 2/0. Meanwhile, I will use some thin wire straight shank Mustad hooks I have on hand. Thanks again.

12. Scraps
    That VMC neko is money.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2/0 is pretty big in those, but I don't think it'll hurt anything, especially where you're fishing! Make sure to report back with your results!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    I sure will, thanks.

15. Member
    Suprised to hear that, I have been using Owners and Trokar 2/0 hooks without any issues. Heck, I even created Gamakatsu 4/0 with mono as guard.

My method: feel a nip, reel down & set the hook HARD facing up! I had some days where I did not do a hard hookset and they came off right near the boat/shore.

Vmc Neko hook for me. I'm not sure I have ever lost a fish on that damn hook. It keeps em pegged

17. Member
    I used to lose alot on a wacky until I tried the trokar weedless wacky hooks and wacky saddles. Gammy's lost a few, with vmc's I lost a ton because the wire weed guards were too stiff.
    Now the only time I really lose them is when it's a big one and they bite down on it so hard in just a way the hook doesn't move when I set it.

18. Member
    change to braid as a test - if your hookup percentage goes up with braid - then you know you need a stiffer rod. I had this problem using tubes a few years back. I wasn't able to overcome stretch to get the hook planted.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    U think the o-ring should address the thicker bait issue. I know those Neko rig hooks give me a really good hookup ratio.
    Yep...yep... vmc
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

im no pro with Wacky worming but have noticed that when using a hook with a weed guard I loose way more fish than a hook without.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast