Banned

2019 250 Pro XS RPM Restriction???

S/N 2B590143
    2019 Phoenix 920

Ok, so bad thread title but I don't know what else to call it.

Went out today and boat would not get above 4,800 RPM and it felt like it was "surging" if that makes sense.

Smartcraft gauges showed no alarms and everything was fine on initial check sequence on the smartcraft gauges at start up.

The motor operated fine until around 4,800 RPM. Started normally, hole shot was good, etc..

Motor has around 85 hours +/-.

Got home and took out the fuel filter and emptied and replaced (but have not tried to run it since I did this).

Any ideas what else it may be?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Throttle not reaching 100%, fuel filter restricted, fuel supply restriction, fuel rail filters restricted (2), bad gas/fuel, spark plugs, over-full on oil, prop damage (depending on what prop even the slightest damage can cause a substantial loss), water in boat hull, Engine in Guardian, Battery or Voltage low, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    That is quite a list.

Prop is good.
    No water in boat hull.
    Battery/voltage good.
    Throttle is reaching 100%.

How do you determine if engine is in guardian?

I plan on dumping the gas this weekend to see if it is bad fuel.

Thanks for help!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Normally if the engine was in Guardian your dealer can see that from a printout of the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History (may not actually have a Guardian Fault unless you tried to exceed the available power threshold).

On the fuel- make sure you get from a High-Traffic, Name-Brand (Top-Tier) Station, use 87 Octane, and no more than 10% ethanol content.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Normally if the engine was in Guardian your dealer can see that from a printout of the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History (may not actually have a Guardian Fault unless you tried to exceed the available power threshold).

On the fuel- make sure you get from a High-Traffic, Name-Brand (Top-Tier) Station, use 87 Octane, and no more than 10% ethanol content.
    Took it out this afternoon and it ran great after cleaning the fuel filter.

Either way, will be dumping the fuel as a precaution.

Thanks!