Verado 350 oil leak?

Hi all,

I noticed some oil in the water the at the end of last year after I changed the oil. I figured it was some that spilled and never thought about it again. Dumb I know. When I got back from my trip and stored the boat for the year there was some that dripped onto the garage floor. I took the cowl off and found oil still in the cowl and it’s more that what I could have spilled. Is it possible I didn’t drain it all the way and filled it too high and it blew it out somewhere? (Not relevant but I’ve had this happen on turbine engines) SN2B541814.

I think I’ve found where it’s coming from but unsure so looking for some guidance before I trek to the dealer.

I have attached a couple pictures. I did wipe up the third picture prematurely before thinking about it.

The oil level is right in the middle and the dipstick is seated properly. I’ve probably run 25 hours since the oil change.

Thanks for your help!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tim:

Are you warming the engine up to temp, shutting down and setting trim at approximately 25 degrees UP for a few minutes- THEN returning to LEVEL trim for at least 1 minute before checking oil level?

What oil did you use when you last changed oil?

I would suggest checking up around the air breather and the vent hose that goes to it for excessive amounts of oil.

If you're using the recommended Mercury Oil, it should have UV dye in it. Clean and degrease the engine well, and dry completely in bright sunlight.

Then use a UV light and glasses to check for "evidence" of the leak point(s).

If at that point it appears to be "everywhere"... a Compression Test and a Leakdown Test may be in order.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don. When I checked the oil after following that procedure the oil is right at the bottom of the hash marks. I'm going to clean it up and see if I can find where it's leaking from with the light and glasses. I am using Mercury Synthetic blend 25w40.

I appreciate the help.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor