Saltwater Livewell System operation

I have a Bullet 22SF flats boat. Coming from a freshwater bass boat i have had trouble keeping water in the livewell. It fills up when i run with the intakes, but drains out when i stop. Kills fish this way obviously. Does a person really have to lie down and reach into the rear compartment and close the valves every single time you stop to fish? Or is there something im missing? Unable to find a good example of how to operate step by step when keeping fish in the well.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

2. Member
    There's no valve control inside the livewell?

3. Member
    Unlike most bass boats saltwater boats are designed with high speed pickups to keep water flowing into the livewell while on plane. Typically pumps remain running the whole time fish/bait are being held. Most saltwater bait will die without constantly pumping raw water into the livewell with the exception of mudminnows which can survive days on the floor of your garage covered in dust.

I dont know the exact setup for that boat but can explain the 2 most typical saltwater livewell setups.

On a Livewell with a fill tube, overflow drain located near the top, and a bottom drain. Plug the bottom drain and turn on the pump. It will automatically overflow. If you shut off the pump the livewell will drain down to the height of the overflow. When your ready to empty the livewell pull the bottom plug. (remove bait first, stuff stuck in the drain will stink to high heaven)

On a livewell with a fill tube and bottom drain (no overflow drain). Instead of plugging the bottom drain you would insert an overflow stand pipe. Turn pumps on and the water will fill to the height of the overflow standpipe and automatically overflow out the bottom drain. With pumps off the water will drain down to the height of the stand pipe.

Example of TH Marine standpipe
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IZDKIO...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Note: the valves (seacock) typically are for situations where there is a leak in a pipe or a pump and you need to shut water off completely. It's recommended to turn the valves a few times a year for maintenance to keep them from locking up otherwise I just left them open so water is always available and any water left in the pipes will drain out when trailered.
    Last edited by friogatto; 04-16-2020 at 02:06 PM.